Q&A Stove dealer told me only he should install my gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I was told by a local dealer that I should only have their company install a gas fireplace for me because a general contractor wouldn't have the know now to do it correctly. This seemed like a sales pitch to me but I would like your opinion as to to difficulty of installation of a gas fireplace by an experienced building contractor. Thanks

Answer:

Gas is Gas- whether it's a water heater- a furnace or a kitchen range. That said- there still may be something true in his advice- since the following factors come into play:
1. Most plumbing contractors are not used to installing "finished products" into people living area. So it is best to have someone who is very familiar with numerous trades (carpentry- etc.) install the unit.
2. Each unit is different in the installation details. The store may have installed dozens of this particular unit- while it would be the first for your local plumber.
Bottom line- check the price...if the store's reputation and the fact that they stand behind the unit is worth anything...add that to your value. Also- if you have others do it- please make certain they get a copy of the owners manual WELL BEFORE the job so they install it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.