• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warm_jack

Oct 26, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Hi there all, stove newb here (but otherwise fairly handy and technically minded). Just brought in a new Pleasant Hearth 1800 sqft/63000 BTU 6" D wood stove to hook up to an already existing chimney and ceiling/finishing support added previously by previous owners.

I've got about 65" from the stove to the chimney connection. The finishing piece on the ceiling I'm pretty sure is a round Selkirk one, says "TYPE HT" on it.

I'm trying to get all the stove pipe parts in an Ace shopping cart since there's a convenient free pick-up option for me. Trying to figure out what pieces I need from stove to chimney pipe.

But back to the FSP/CSP, I took off what cover they had on the chimney pipe inside the house and found a piece that had been just cut and left in there around the chimney pipe. It rotates freely around the chimney pipe and is kind of an inverted u-shaped collar. It's kept from being removed by the 6" D Selkirk FSP/CSP. After some finagling I decided that I might have to drop the CSP/FSP by unsecuring it from above in the attic space (see pics).

It seems held in pace up there by nails I can probably cut and hammer out.

My main concern is is this Selkirk FSP/CSP supporting the entire chimney and will it come sliding through to the living room below?

If I'm ok to drop the FSP/CSP, what parts do you think I'll need from chimney pipe to stove? I kind of have some parts identified but would like to see what you have to say. Thanks for the help!!

Existing chimney from outside:
IMG_20211007_160705.jpg

Looking up at FSP/CSP and free piece:
IMG_20211026_171056.jpg

Attic looking down on FSP/CSP:
IMG_20201203_102030.jpg

Editing and bumping my own thread a little, I'm guessing the cut-off piece is this

adapter.jpg

And they cut it off when moving out in order to easily cap the chimney on the inside

and now only the top part remains has fallen to the bottom of this

support.png

Looking for suggestions on how to replace the cut off adapter with a solution that will work with new stove pipe, thanks again.

Editing and bumping my own thread a little, I'm guessing the cut-off piece is this

View attachment 284181

And they cut it off when moving out in order to easily cap the chimney on the inside

and now only the top part remains has fallen to the bottom of this

View attachment 284182

Looking for suggestions on how to replace the cut off adapter with a solution that will work with new stove pipe, thanks again.
To replace that adapter you will need to pull the chimney up and out

Reactions: warm_jack
To replace that adapter you will need to pull the chimney up and out
Yeah that's what it's looking like.

I'm curious though about that existing interior pipe... I can shine a light up from this point and it's continuous pipe up to the cap.

Does it look like someone already replaced the adapter but left this cut one in the support?

Yeah that's what it's looking like.

I'm curious though about that existing interior pipe... I can shine a light up from this point and it's continuous pipe up to the cap.

Does it look like someone already replaced the adapter but left this cut one in the support?
I can't tell from the pics and honestly don't use that pipe so I don't know

When I saw the attic view I freaked out a little. Those fragments of shingles are perfect tinder for pyrolysis and a fire. There shouldn't be anything in the support box besides the chimney pipe. Add an attic insulation shield to prevent further debris from getting in there.

This is not just speculation. A neighbor's attic caught fire for just this reason. They had a chimney fire and that heated up the chimney pipe enough to ignite the debris in the ceiling support box. They lost 1/4 of the house and were fortunate to not have lost more.

When I saw the attic view I freaked out a little. Those fragments of shingles are perfect tinder for pyrolysis and a fire. There shouldn't be anything in the support box besides the chimney pipe. Add an attic insulation shield to prevent further debris from getting in there.

This is not just speculation. A neighbor's attic caught fire for just this reason. They had a chimney fire and that heated up the chimney pipe enough to ignite the debris in the ceiling support box. They lost 1/4 of the house and were fortunate to not have lost more.
Yep ha, I noticed that and that was the plan, was wondering if someone would say something lol

I can't tell from the pics and honestly don't use that pipe so I don't know

Here's a better shot of that single wall interior pipe that extends down. I haven't seen chimney pipe yet with something like this coming off it if it isn't already some kind of attachment or adapter. I wonder if you could slide up stove pipe. It seems just under 6" dia.

IMG_20211026_171136.jpg

Here's a better shot of that single wall interior pipe that extends down. I haven't seen chimney pipe yet with something like this coming off it if it isn't already some kind of attachment or adapter. I wonder if you could slide up stove pipe. It seems just under 6" dia.

View attachment 284201
Yes you could put pipe up in there but you would then have moisture creosote etc running down the outside of the pipe. It looks like they destroyed the adapter

Im pretty sure the chimney in my shop is Selkirk with insulated Class A above the ceiling. My ceiling box has the twist lock socket above the box and a male tapered/crimped stub hanging down. The stub is only 3" long or so, standard male flu pipe tapered pipe. That shorty piece with the twist lock on top and tapered male below is swaged into the box so is not removable, until someone cuts the bottom off.

With yours cut away it does seem like youll need to pull the chimney. Im not sure if there is a piece to transition from Class A to flu pipe that will fit your box, or if you need to replace the box. Im no expert by far, just sharing my observation based on having dismounted and reinstalled my shops chimney system.

Just a late update, I finished this months ago and all seems well after many uses!

What I ended up doing was securing the chimney with straps and boards and it seemed pretty dang secure. Didn't wobble or move a bit. Kinda made me wonder how much the mating at the roof and the support up there above it actually supported the chimney.

I used a Dremel to cut off the nail heads securing the chimney support and just popped the sheet metal 'ring' off em then pushed the piece down. Piece of cake.

I got a similar support from Selkirk (theoretically the same diameter) and pushed it up into the existing hole, but that was a pain. I had to shave off some ceiling/upper floor material at certain spots of the existing hole just to be able to jam new support up there. So it being wedged in there probably adds some weight support as it is.

I went back up and drilled some new holes since the existing holes in the new chimney support didn't quite line up with the existing holes in the wood. Hammering nails wasn't really a decent option given space restrictions but I was able to squeeze a drill between floorboards to drill through the support boards then through the new sheet metal ring of the new support. Then I drilled through galvanized deck screws to support it.

Many fires later, still seems safe and sound.

IMG_20211127_182136.jpg IMG_20211127_153936.jpg IMG_20211127_182222.jpg IMG_20211127_183340.jpg 20211225_094853_HDR.jpg IMG_20211204_183549.jpg

Last edited: