tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Excellent news Chief! That is wonderful. Just take it slow and easy. Did the doc prescribe some sleep meds too? That will help until the brace is off.

We use a garden cart for moving wood. It lets us move a lot of wood easily and without strain, and we're geezers.
Thanks, BG. No, he didn't. He said not sleeping was not acceptable but sleeping aids or narcotic pain relievers were not either, because he wants me to feel the pain if I move wrong in the night. He said otherwise, I could hurt myself. So, he proposed the new, hopefully more comfortable brace, and therefore maybe I can sleep. The new brace is somewhat of a compromise because it will not restrict me as mush and not at all from bending laterally. So he cautioned me that I have to be very careful. If I push it to far "the bow breaks" But, he does want me to sleep so the new brace is the plan for now.

Steve,
I'm sure the good news makes dealing with the pain and discomfort a little easier. At least you know the brace and the restrictions are helping you get better. Hang in there and let yourself heal.

There are non-pain-med related sleep meds. I wonder why he didn't move in those directions (can be addictive too, but at least will ensure you feel the pain).

If you are laid up or in the house all day, you will get enough sleep. Sleep disruption sucks, but as long as you allow yourself naps and such you're body will get by just fine.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about those bizarre Ambien related sleepwalking/driving/etc side effects.

Flatbedford, yes it does. It is very encouraging.

Joe, strangely, he said no to those as well

Danno, yep, I have heard of that.

I have an appointment to get the new brace this afternoon. I will let you all know how it goes.
Thanks,
Steve

That's encouraging news, Steve--good to see. Sorry that he can't give you something to help you find your off-switch, but it sounds like the course of wisdom.

A bright spot in this, although it may not seem this way right now, is that you're dealing with this in the summer. It sounds like you'll have a chance to heal before the season of slips and slides. Sure footing underneath makes it a lot safer to get out for your walks. So even though the heat makes it more uncomfortable with the skin, it's keeping away the ice and snow that could lead to a further injury.

Best of luck with that new brace.

snowleopard said:
That's encouraging news, Steve--good to see. Sorry that he can't give you something to help you find your off-switch, but it sounds like the course of wisdom.

A bright spot in this, although it may not seem this way right now, is that you're dealing with this in the summer. It sounds like you'll have a chance to heal before the season of slips and slides. Sure footing underneath makes it a lot safer to get out for your walks. So even though the heat makes it more uncomfortable with the skin, it's keeping away the ice and snow that could lead to a further injury.

Best of luck with that new brace.
You are right of course. There could be a lot of things about this much worse. I am thankful for that. The new brace, I am hoping will be a big improvement.

Steve,

May I recommend looking at taking supplemental melatonin pills? Pop one or two around 8pm and at the same time, consume up to 10 dark cherries.

The cherries have a compound that is a powerful analgesic, and are just good for you in general, and the melatonin should start kicking in about 2 hours later. Combined, they should help you get 4-6 hours of sleep at that time of day.

joefrompa said:
Steve,

May I recommend looking at taking supplemental melatonin pills? Pop one or two around 8pm and at the same time, consume up to 10 dark cherries.

The cherries have a compound that is a powerful analgesic, and are just good for you in general, and the melatonin should start kicking in about 2 hours later. Combined, they should help you get 4-6 hours of sleep at that time of day.
Thanks, Joe, I will check it out. Really hoping the new brace will be more comfortable and easier to sleep in.

Wow Steve that's fantastic news! You will have plenty to be thankful for this year!!! Plus now you can use your new stove :) So glad to hear this news!

Ray

joefrompa said:
Steve,

Joe, the dark sweet cherries are great and we sometimes buy the pure cherry juice concentrate and take it by the spoonful. It helps. However, on the melatonin one has to use some extreme caution. I can not take them as they make me too drowsy all the next day but I know of several others who had to quit taking them as they can cause nightmares. I have a close neighbor who has used the melatonin for a long time (just off an on though) and one day I mentioned the possibility of nightmares and both he and his wife perked right up. "So that is what is causing the nightmares!" He no longer takes them.

I do have Restoril on hand for those sleepless times but perhaps I use them differently than others. I rarely take them and only take them when I can't get to sleep. The prescription reads to take them nightly. I find that is not necessary.

Wow, with all the dark cherries I've been eating lately it's a wonder I'm still standing. Cherry season here and we have tons of them.

A few other natural sleep aids besides melatonin are tryptophan, camomile tea and valerian. Also you could try generic diphenhydramine which is an over the counter anti-histamine and commonly used in sleepaids like Nytol.

Update: I got the new brace today. It is a Knight Taylor TLSO which some of you may be familiar with. It is one that has been around a long time. It is much more open and less restrictive. It feels better than the old one. I have only had it on for a few hours so the verdict is still out but I think it will be better than the old turtle shell I was in. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. Steve

Good news! Enjoy the freedom of the new brace, but don't enjoy it too much! Be careful, be patient. Take care of yourself.

I think things are going to be looking up Steve....I think that new brace is really going to work out much better for you....Next year this time you are going to look back and think..."Wow...I have come so far...remember last summer...?"
About the sleep supplements....I know you have to be careful about some herbal remedies mixing with prescription medications...

I get my hair colored a very light shade of blonde....well last spring after I got it colored, it started to break off and fall out at the crown of my head... >:-( It was a good thing my hair is short to begin with... The hairdresser could not figure it out..never happened before or again...Thank god...it wasn't purdy!!!

Well I started taking Biotin (for skin hair and nails)....not only did my hair and nails grow like weeds...but I slept so so very well...I mean deep sleep in which I did not even get up once during the night..I googled it and many many people online commented that it helped them sleep too...just an observation I wanted to share...

Happy Healing and take care Steve!
;-)

That's good news Steve! Before you know it you'll be in a suit of armor and find it comfy! :)

Ray

Sir Steve?

It's good to hear you're feeling optimistic. Such a long haul, but each day that passes gets you closer to the brace-begone day. As Gamma-grrl said, the time will come when you'll be looking back on this. Sleep well tonight, and let us know how that goes for you.

So glad to hear of the progress you are making, Steve. I hope this new brace works fantastically well!

Steve, I'm sure you will like this brace much better than the last one. Glad you got it. You'll also praise the day you can toss that one aside too! But never throw it out. You may be able to help someone else out someday by presenting them with a nice brace. Good that things are going your way.

I had to laugh the other day when I went to PT and one therapist thought I should consider buying a TENS unit. Shoot, I gave 2 of them to some needy folks in the past and I don't want another one. lol But then, I also don't want the PT but I'll go 2 more times.

Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, I'm sure you will like this brace much better than the last one. Glad you got it. You'll also praise the day you can toss that one aside too! But never throw it out. You may be able to help someone else out someday by presenting them with a nice brace. Good that things are going your way.

I had to laugh the other day when I went to PT and one therapist thought I should consider buying a TENS unit. Shoot, I gave 2 of them to some needy folks in the past and I don't want another one. lol But then, I also don't want the PT but I'll go 2 more times.
BS, You are a tough one! I don't think I am as tough as you, but you are an inspiration. The new brace is OK. It is not as hot, and I can put it on and take it off myself. It still hurts a lot, just in different places. I am having a lot more back pain, muscle pain it seems, than with the old brace. I think because this one is less supportive and is getting the muscles started working. I am sleeping without it, which is an improvement.....up and down a lot, but sleeping. And yes, I can't hardly wait until September 12, the day it is supposed to come off. God Bless, Steve

Steve, I'll bet you are counting the days! Good to hear you can sleep without it now and that has to be super sweet. Yes, you will find that your muscles lose about all their strength and will have to rebuild them. This is one of the biggest reasons for really being careful when you start going without the brace. But you can do it!

Dennis, How long did it take you to regain your strength? If I get my brace off September 12, do you think I will be able to carry wood into the house in October?

tfdchief said:
Dennis, How long did it take you to regain your strength? If I get my brace off September 12, do you think I will be able to carry wood into the house in October?

Your doctor may want to have words with you over this post. :)

+1. And be specific. There's a big difference between 1 stick at a time and an arm or box load.:)

Consider getting a cart to make this more practical for your wife to help or run the furnace for the fall and allow your back to heal. It will take awhile with therapy to rebuild those back muscles. They are critical toward keeping your spine in alignment. Don't jump the gun here, the consequences could be worse than your current condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.