tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
burr said:
Hey Chief, Im sorry for not checking on this site enough (during the off-season), I only found this thread today. Our prayers for a full recovery and thank you Lord for the moral support you have - a close family and these guys here.

I hope as you continue recovery, you can sit around the kitchen table as yer wife loads up that shiny new stove this fall. Good luck and thanks (for your guidance) from yer fellow Buck wood burner
Burr, Thanks for the prayers. I will need them for a while. I enjoyed our conversations about the old buck stoves. And yes this bunch seems more like family to me every day. I really loved this place before, but now, the moral support I have gotten here has just overwhelmed me and helped me through some tough times. Spending time reading the posts on all of the forums each day passes some time and is one of the few things I can do and enjoy. I try to post occasionally on other threads. I sort of feel bad about always being on this one. I don't want to wear out my welcome. I hope I am not abusing all the kindness shown to me here, but it just means more to me than you all could know. And burr, I can't wait to burn the new little stove again this fall. I got to burn it a little at the end of the winter and it is just amazing. I hope I get to help my wife with it......that's my goal. Thanks All, Steve

Would this seem acceptable to you if the shoe were on the other foot, and you were the one giving support to one of us?

Besides, all of this is for the good of the common order:
Dennis has been working on his soft-shoe routine to show off his new hip and cheer you up.
Adios P has been practicing the ukelele, and will be posting a youtube clip of him singing `Get Well Soon' to the tune of Happy Birthday.
Jags will be sending you an autographed 10x14 picture of himself.
Gamma's making brownies.
Delta . . . let's just say it's a good thing he's run out of copper. Honest, you don't want to know.

We're just getting warmed up.

I wanna know what's in Gamma's brownies.

snowleopard said:
Would this seem acceptable to you if the shoe were on the other foot, and you were the one giving support to one of us?

Besides, all of this is for the good of the common order:
Dennis has been working on his soft-shoe routine to show off his new hip and cheer you up.
Adios P has been practicing the ukelele, and will be posting a youtube clip of him singing `Get Well Soon' to the tune of Happy Birthday.
Jags will be sending you an autographed 10x14 picture of himself.
Gamma's making brownies.
Delta . . . let's just say it's a good thing he's run out of copper. Honest, you don't want to know.

We're just getting warmed up.
YES, and I guess I shouldn't have doubted, not with this bunch. God Bless you all! Steve

BeGreen said:

Are ya REALLY sure?! Heck, all I know it could be Hugs and Kisses!
But knowing Gamma the way we do, it may also contain some Rx "additives" ;-)

Steve - I'm happy for you that you had a chance to get "Up 'n 'Round" These things take time, and ALLOT of patients. Like you, I'm active - just can't stand standing/sitting/laying around while things must get done. Unlike you, I'm about 10, or so years younger. After my second knee surgery, I was begging to go back to work - just so I can get out of those 4 damn walls... But after another 2 months, alot of book reading - whatever was lying around, and reading Hearth from '97 forward - section by section, thread by thread, the time did pass too quickly - I'm still trying to catch up from '04 to now ;-)

Just get better soon!

Hey Chief, I was gonna send Sarah Palin down there to see you, but I figure you're sick enough already. :)

Frostbit said:
Hey Chief, I was gonna send Sarah Palin down there to see you, but I figure you're sick enough already. :)
That's for sure. I live in IL.....I have enough problems, yikes. Did you get my PM?

PJF1313 said:
Steve - I'm happy for you that you had a chance to get "Up 'n 'Round" These things take time, and ALLOT of patients. Like you, I'm active - just can't stand standing/sitting/laying around while things must get done. Unlike you, I'm about 10, or so years younger. After my second knee surgery, I was begging to go back to work - just so I can get out of those 4 damn walls... But after another 2 months, alot of book reading - whatever was lying around, and reading Hearth from '97 forward - section by section, thread by thread, the time did pass too quickly - I'm still trying to catch up from '04 to now ;-)

Just get better soon!
Great idea. I hadn't thought about going back and looking at old posts but I will probably start checking some out tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Another resource that you might want to consider tapping into are recorded books.

Our state library system allows cardholders to check out ten recorded books at one time--we set the check-out period--and then when the time is up, they are magically disappeared off my computer--very slick--self-returning library books. If our state is doing it, I feel pretty confident that there are at least 49 others out there doing it as well, and probably a couple of territories.

These are commercially produced studio recordings, sometimes full-cast, sometimes not, but good company when you're not quite up for reading, or when you're doing something that keeps your hands and eyes, but not mind, engaged. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, although it looks like IL does this city-by-city instead of statewide: http://www.dkpl.org/downloadable_material/downloadable_material.html.

HTH

tfdchief said:
Frostbit said:
That's for sure. I live in IL.....I have enough problems, yikes. Did you get my PM?

Sure did. Thanks..

BeGreen said:

I ain't tellin....no how...no way..... %-P :lol: :coolgrin:
If you guys are lucky I'll bring some to the company convention this summer...

Can I get some in advance? Maybe I won't need Craig's plane to fly in? :lol:

These gave me a chuckle; I hope they do the same for you.

IDIOTS AT WORK
I was signing the receipt for my credit card purchase when the clerk noticed that I had never signed my name on the back of the credit card. She informed me that she could not complete the transaction unless the card was signed. When I asked why, she explained that it was necessary to compare the signature on the credit card with the signature I just signed on the receipt. So I signed the credit card in front of her. She carefully compared that signature to the one I signed on the receipt. As luck would have it, they matched.

IDIOTS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
I live in a semi-rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the Deer Crossing sign on our road.
The reason: many deer were being hit by cars and he no longer wanted them to cross there.

IDIOTS IN FOOD SERVICE
My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco. She asked the individual behind the counter for “minimal lettuce.†He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg.

IDIOT SIGHTINGS
Sighting #1:
I was at the airport, checking in at the gate, when the airport employee asked, “Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?â€
I said, “If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?†He smiled and nodded knowingly, “That’s why we ask.â€

Idiot Sighting #2:
The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it is safe to cross the street. I was crossing with a coworker of mine, when she asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals to blind people when the light is red. She responded, appalled, “What on earth are blind people doing driving?â€

Idiot Sighting #3:
At a good-bye lunch for an old and dear coworker who is leaving the company due to “downsizing,†our manager spoke up and said, “This is fun. We should have lunch like this more often.†Not another word was spoken. We just looked at each other like deer staring into the headlights of an approaching truck.

Idiot Sighting #4:
I worked with an Individual who plugged his power strip back into itself and for the life of him could not understand why his system would not turn on.

Idiot Sighting #5:
When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told that the keys had been accidentally locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver’s side door. As I watched from the passenger’s side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered it was open. “Hey,†I announced to the technician, “It’s open!â€
“I know,†answered the young man. â€I already got that side.â€

Hang in there, Steve.

In about 1967 or so, I drove 2 or 3 of my college roommates and me down to get something to eat. We pulled into a drive-in burger joint (the kind that still had car hops) kind of late...maybe 10 PM or so. At the time, San Luis Obispo was still a fairly small college town. The gal comes up to my window and immediately says, "The grill's closed if you're hungry." So I replied, "OK...I'm not hungry. I'd like a cheeseburger and an order of fries." I'm sure she thought I was an idiot. Rick

Thanks guys. Made me smile. Doing about the same. I did get a good book sent to me by a friend and have started reading it. I enjoy it but, I can't sit long. It passes time. My next Neurologist Dr. appointment in Evansville IN is Monday the first. Praying I get good news. It is a long trip and a tiring day but good news sure makes it easier. I will let you know.

Steve,

I'm late adding to this thread but haven't been on the computer much this summer. Sorry to hear about your accident; glad to hear you are on the mend somewhat. Now... to figure out what to keep you occupied....

Hmmm.... since you seem to have such a great bond with your grandson, wouldn't it be interesting to take this time to compile some family history (genealogy) for him? I've done a LOT of this type of thing - a lot of it is online research and the stories you can put together from bits and pieces can make family history come alive. For example - I've got ancestors who fought in the Civil War. One of them went AWOL, hid at his brothers place. The Provost Marshall came looking for him, the brother said "He's not here (the soldier was actually hiding in the brothers house). A third brother put on the AWOL soldiers uniform, the Provost (not personally knowing the soldier) arrested this third brother and hauled him off to jail. Two days later this third brother sued, charging false arrest & and was eventually released. In the mean time, the soldier rejoined his company only to be overcome with a disease and died in a southern state and was buried there. After the war was over his body was dug up and reburied one of the newly created National Cemeteries. Along the way to being re-buried his i.d. was lost from his coffin so, when reburied, he was buried an an 'Unknown Soldier'. I have since located his burial site and am compiling research documents to present to government officials in order to have a proper i.d.'d tombstone attributed to him. I am, however, left to wonder, if this soldier's brothers ever really knew the soldiers final resting place......... one of those things that can never be known for sure.

Some of this research required actual visitation to the physical sites to gather the info but there are wonderful volunteers out there to do this footwork for you. RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) is a wonderful group of people who volunteer their time to help fellow researchers.

Maybe your family has an interesting story or two that would be of interest to your grandson? You might never know until you do the research.... If you need some help getting going on this type of research, PM me - I'm not online much right now as I'm 'out of area' so only have computer access every now and then.

God Bless! Heal well and right!

Shari

Shari said:
Steve,

I'm late adding to this thread but haven't been on the computer much this summer. Sorry to hear about your accident; glad to hear you are on the mend somewhat. Now... to figure out what to keep you occupied....

Hmmm.... since you seem to have such a great bond with your grandson, wouldn't it be interesting to take this time to compile some family history (genealogy) for him?

Shari
Thank you, I will give it a try. I have never really been to interested in that but then I am doing a lot of things right now that I really didn't have much interest in before. I have just always been one of those people who can't sit around. I would rather be doing something. In the winter, when others are sitting in front of the TV watching football, I would much rather be with my son cutting wood. I watch TV rarely, except for major sporting events and things like Discovery. The computer has always been mainly just work, except for my weather station and it runs itself unless something quits, and if that happens right now I will just have to take it down because I wouldn't be able to fix it. So, thanks for the idea, God Bless you, Steve

I hear you chief, I don't sit still well either and my dad wasn't much into family history. It's too bad, I was, but never was asked. After he passed on I had the good luck to come into contact with a distant relative that was into genealogy. When he retired it became his hobby and he accrued a wealth of information. It turns out our family has a very interesting history and that I am a 12th gen. American on the paternal side. I continue now to find some incredible stories about our ancestors. I'm planning a couple road trips to find out more.

If you do happen to find some ancestors over our side of the pond, and want any help, we have access to quite a bit of local stuff for our area that is not on the net yet, land taxes, hearth taxes from the 1600's, and some earlier tax records from military surveys done during Henry V111's time in anticipation of war with France and Spain.

Funny how going to war was an excuse to raise taxes back then........

Some things never change ;-)

The primary branch came over in 1629 from Combs England on the Winthrop fleet. Combs is(was?) a tiny hamlet near Stowemarket. I hope to check church records there at some point. The other side of my father's family is a black sheep from London, but originally from the Nottingham area. I need to check the Port of New Orleans records from the early 1840's for him so that I can identify the boat. That will probably take a trip to a LDS office.

BeGreen said:
The other side of my father's family is a black sheep from London, but originally from the Nottingham area.

Plenty of black sheep in my family, some family secrets are best left secret ;-)

Perhaps, but this guy already has at least one book written about him.

Just a little update: Kind of in a holding pattern with this brace on me. I have reached a stopping point in terms of progress, I think, until this damn thing comes off. It is pretty miserable and painful. I can make it through the day, but the nights are long.....I seldom sleep.

I go on Monday to see the doctor and x-rays......really hoping for good news. I will let you all know how it comes out.

In the mean time, I stare at my new little stove and hope I get to burn it this fall, and hope I can at least help my son cut and split a little wood this winter. I really miss my active life. I have tried all the things you guys suggested to pass the time and it helps some......problem is, I just can't do anything, even sitting, for more than 30 minutes, because the brace baring on my bony hips gets to hurting so bad I have to get up and move around.

Anyway, thanks for all the support, Steve

That sounds really uncomfortable, but for sure, your body is healing, give it time. Lack of sleep is really stressful chief. When talking to the doc ask if they can improve the fit of the brace or pad it. I would also request a prescription sleeping aid to get you through this time.

Thanks BG, For sure the lack of sleep is starting to pile up. Good suggestions. They tried to adjust it at the last appointment but didn't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.