The first burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Two nights ago I was really tempted to burn.......it was 60ºF. In fact, as I look at the weather map this week, I noted that we should see 60º temps most every night this week!! The shifting to Autumn has begun, and we are very CLOSE to daily burning.
The Central Air won't be running much longer of course, and I sit in my living room thinking about lighting that first burn (just like last year).
Of course, the warm and glow and all that, will be wonderful, and I'm looking forward to it, .....but the rest of the day won't need the heat, so the first good burn, will have to be allowed to burn down and die fairly quickly.
Are there any negatives to these "burn in the morning and let it die" events? Any "issues" connected to them that can create problems?
Just wondering...........
-Soupy1957

i dpnt think theres any problem,other than its aug and i dont want to be having too burn wood quite yet.i do,however,fall into the same boat as you soup,as i too look forward(way forward i hope )to all the joys of a simple fire.....

Your getting the itch to burn, FIRE UP! good time to burn up those scraps, punky or crappy short stubby pieces. I'm doing my final breakin fire for my new Keystone tonight, suppose to get down to 50. I'll have all the windows open to get rid of the smell. I also have over three years worth of firewood, so I'm not too worried about running out. :cheese:

soupy1957 said:
Two nights ago I was really tempted to burn.......it was 60ºF.

Are you on blood thinners? Even my 94 year old grandmother doesn't turn on her furnace when it's 60.

That itch to burn will go away after a few years........

I love the first burn threads, but I'm going to try to hold out until October this year. As hot as it's been, a few nights in
the 50's feel wonderful without any supplemental heat. Summer isn't done yet.

wow 50's at night is just starting to get to good sleeping weather. i love burning but thinking about making fire in the stove this time of year would make me puke. i hate it hot in the house. crap my window unit in my room stays on 60 all night.

It's gotta get a lot colder before I fire up the stove . . . and it has nothing to do with saving the wood until later . . . it's about comfort. This time of year I'll just put on a sweatshirt if cool in the morning . . . in a few hours time I'll be in a T-shirt once the sun comes up and a few hours after that I'll be thinking of swimming . . .

"Are you on blood thinners? Even my 94 year old grandmother doesn’t turn on her furnace when it’s 60." (funny stuff.........made me laugh.....ty)

We HAVE had a very hot summer, and I AM looking forward to this years burn...........wanna try out my Laser Thermometer and my flue thermometer.

"good time to burn up those scraps, punky or crappy short stubby pieces." (Great idea! I DO have a basket full of those that came from the 3 cords I stacked. Had to add "punky" to my PC Dictionary.........lol).

-Soupy1957

No hurry. Hot days, cool nights. Shed's not full yet, lots more work to do. No hurry. Winter's a PITA. No hurry. Rick

fossil said:
No hurry. Hot days, cool nights. Shed's not full yet, lots more work to do. No hurry. Winter's a PITA. No hurry. Rick

+1

You can always tell the guys who've been at this too long. A couple years ago I got my first snowblower after 40 years of hand shoveling. I couldn't wait for the first big snowfall to try 'er out. Nature was kind and granted my wish six fold within two weeks. That first time feeling didn't last too long.

Having my first fire on Christmas Eve would be fine with me. Won't make it that long but I can dream.

This will be my third season burning and I am really getting the itch too. I keep looking at the long range forecast, and the wife just laughs. According to normal temps, should be two month yet, about October 16th overnight lows around 45 degrees which is my burning mark. 45 and below wood stove, above 45 leave the furnace get some exercise. We like it warm, 78 inside now, only 76 outside after thunderstorms came through high of 86 today. But by February I'm getting ready for a break.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/pa/enola/17025/forecast-month.asp?mnyr=10-01-2010

It's been less than two months since our last fire. No hurry here.

After me advising last year that everybody check the stove over after the last burn I have screwed around and not done it myself yet. Next month I will probably find out that it split down the middle.

As to the burn and let it die question, I do a lot of it in fall and spring. Sometimes in winter according to how the temps go.

BrotherBart said:
After me advising last year that everybody check the stove over after the last burn I have screwed around and not done it myself yet. Next month I will probably find out that it split down the middle.

+1

I've been so focused on getting the Oslo put in I haven't gotten around to cleaning the stove and chimney on the Morso. It does leave me with a tremendous sense of guilt.

Yesterday and today are the first decent days we have had in months. I can't even fathom firing up the stove yet.

BrotherBart said:
Having my first fire on Christmas Eve would be fine with me. Won't make it that long but I can dream.
I'll settle for thanksgiving.

The "snow blower" story was deja vu for me. I had been hand shoveling for years before I finally got the snow blower WE bought. Went out and did every driveway around me (including ours of course)!

-Soupy1957

Ah c'mon you guys . . . winter is one of the best times of the year . . . but it's all in your outlook . . . if you hibernate and stay inside the entire time then yeah, the snow, the cold temps and the short daylight hours could be a drag.

Me, I like the winter . . . there's something magical about a new-fallen snow covering the yard, the trees and the home . . . there's a real beauty in seeing the full moon reflecting down on a snow-covered countryside . . . seeing a home draped in snow like white frosting on a cake . . . plowing and shoveling the snow and then coming inside to a roaring fire and falling asleep in your most comfortable chair after having eaten a hearty beef stew or potroast that has been cooking all day long . . . and then there's the sliding, snowshoeing, skiing and snowmobiling . . . ah yes . . . I live for the snowmobiling . . . nothing quite like riding through the woods on a tight, twisty trail (well maybe the closest thing would be riding a speeder bike in the forests on Endor) . . .

Yes . . . for me Winter has not lost its magic . . . and yes . . . I am a realist . . . dealing with sub-zero cold day after day, being pounded by major snowstorms and having to deal with a long, slippery commute to and from work can be a challenge . . . but for me the magic of the changing seasons and Winter have not been lost.

That said . . . I really enjoyed going to the Bahamas for a week two years ago . . . and going on a cruise the year before that for a week! Sometimes one needs just a bit of taste of summer!

jakes got it....winter lasts a long time here in canuck ville might as well enjoy it....4 wheeling,sleding,sitting in my ice fishing shack by a roaring fire waiting for the walleye to turn on the feed bag...home afterwards in front of the stove sipping a brazilian coffee,....yeah winter is ok...just not right now

Battenkiller said:
fossil said:

+1

You can always tell the guys who've been at this too long. A couple years ago I got my first snowblower after 40 years of hand shoveling. I couldn't wait for the first big snowfall to try 'er out. Nature was kind and granted my wish six fold within two weeks. That first time feeling didn't last too long.

snow blowing doesn't get old for me. I luv it.

My first season was two years ago. Last year we didn't burn as we were getting the basement finished. Now that it's done (mostly) and the chimney has been redone, I'm rarin' to go. But I shall be patient...

This is my third year and I think I'm more rearing to go now than either of the two past winters. Its been hotter than #^@%^@ this summer and my wife thinks I'm nuts because I tuck the kids in, kiss them goodnight, and then go out and touch, smell, bang, and caress my wood every evening. On the way back in, I stop and stare at the cold, empty stove for a while too.

firefighterjake said:
Ah c'mon you guys . . . winter is one of the best times of the year

I will agree, I love the winter. I would take 10 degrees over 75 anyday of the week.

I do however, love fall much more. The bird hunting, deer hunting, cool crisp mornings in jeans and a hoodie. Oh yes, I sure miss fall. It will be here soon, I just hope it doesn't fly by!

I have the windows wide open all night and am loving it! Wont be firing up to late November! Still have lots of hot september and october days to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.