The pain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Tree fell on the power lines Friday 2 houses over so they are taking all the other ones down. All oak. First thing my wife says is no dont even ask. You haven't even split the stuff in the back yard (3 cords) it hurts that most is getting chipped and the rest loaded on a truck.
20190924_150928.jpg

Who makes the most money? You or your wife? If it's you, go ask the guys to leave the logs! My 2 cents...

Reactions: D8Chumley
Oak. Chipped. Good God that makes me want to cry. I just love to saw and split oak with my Monster Maul.

If she likes the house being at 75* all winter for "free", Ida went n got it...she would have come around to daddy's way of thinking...==c
Ya gotta git while the gittin's good, ya know?!

I could understand her reluctance in a way . . . but then again . . . it's oak, not poplar, pine, etc. (not that there is anything wrong with those wood species -- just that oak is kinda of the gold standard when it comes to heating with wood.)

I guess this will teach you for not getting all of your wood cut, split and stacked. ;) :)

Oh well. I'm sure ill get some down the road. Apparently one was a hickory. Guy 2 streets over was cutting it up last night. Time to rent a splitter and get my yard cleaned up.

Three cords isn't very much wood, actually. How much do you burn in a winter?

With an opportunity like that, I would do what I had to to make room for it.

Oh well. I'm sure ill get some down the road. Apparently one was a hickory. Guy 2 streets over was cutting it up last night. Time to rent a splitter and get my yard cleaned up.
Well if you had the wood pile finished she would not have had anything to groan about in the first place.

My yard is small and I have three standing dead oaks on the back of my property that are coming down this fall when I get a weekend free. Only my second year burning so I am slowly growing my stacks and organizing areas to put it on the edges of my property.

I have this same discussion with my wife ALL time! So painful. I just ran by a tree company throwing 1 foot rounds of maple in a chipper. I think I shed a tear......

Tree fell on the power lines Friday 2 houses over so they are taking all the other ones down. All oak. First thing my wife says is no dont even ask. You haven't even split the stuff in the back yard (3 cords) it hurts that most is getting chipped and the rest loaded on a truck.
View attachment 248053
Well, since she wears the pants, let her do the splitting.

lol... big talk, from 1000 mi. away. ;lol

LOL, I'm going to shift my keyboard to warrior mode, take you out from here. All I meant was for OP get get that stuff in his backyard CSS and then get the gift that was literally handed to him by the power company. Nice long lengths that have been limbed and shredded should not be turned down. Not hard to ask your neighbor, unless you hate each other.

Reactions: Ashful
Never have that problem. If she says no I just ask
if the would like to be warm this winter. Now
she just shakes her head. My woodpile is my domain.
Mine you, she loves to run the splitter and thats OK with me.

It's still sitting there and she wont be home for a few hours. Another guy took a truck load yesterday. I may cut some up and bring a few wheel barrel loads and add to the current pile. She'll never know.