Thinking About a Lennox Brentwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnathanking

Feb 7, 2011
Ohio
Any Lennox Brentwood owners out there? I am looking to replace my existing open-air fireplace with and EPA model. I was thinking about the RSF Opel 3, but the price seemed a little steep to me. My dealer recommended the Brentwood so I am trying to figure out how it compares with the Opel 3. As far as installation goes, the dealer said he would install an AC chimney pipe as opposed to an ASHT (solid pack, more expensive) pipe. With the Central Ohio climate, will I be OK with and AC pipe? Thanks for any insight!

Any Lennox Brentwood owners out there? I am looking to replace my existing open-air fireplace with and EPA model. I was thinking about the RSF Opel 3, but the price seemed a little steep to me. My dealer recommended the Brentwood so I am trying to figure out how it compares with the Opel 3. As far as installation goes, the dealer said he would install an AC chimney pipe as opposed to an ASHT (solid pack, more expensive) pipe. With the Central Ohio climate, will I be OK with and AC pipe? Thanks for any insight!

I have a Lennox Brentwood for the last 3 years in NE Ohio (new construction). The Brentwood is the same stove as the Security Chimneys BIS Ultima (Lennox bought the company some years back). I am very happy with the unit. My dealer wanted to put AC pipe in also. I called Lennox custoner service and asked them which pipe. They recommended solid pack so, that's what I did. I also got the outside air kit and the blower option. They installed the OAK in the chimney chase and used the attic for the air source. They were supposed to take the flexible air hose to an eave and use outside air but they cut corners on the job. I discovered this when I couldn't get a decent draft because my attic fan was running 24/7 creating a negative pressure in the attic. It drafts properly now that I adjusted the thermostat on the attic fan so that it doesn't run during the winter.

The unit throws plenty of heat but like many inserts you need the blower for it to perform well. The blower is loud so I added a fan controller from Lowes to adjust it down. I think it can take a 20" log but that's only if you put the log in diagonally in the trapezoidal firebox. I cut my firewood at 16-18" and it seems to work out well. The unit burns very clean and efficient but seems to prefer smaller splits. It heats an open great room / kitchen / dining room arrangement (1200 square ft) with 13 foot vaulted ceilings. The house is very well insulated and has 2x6 walls. The only time it struggles is when the outside temperature is close to 0 degrees, but I burn soft maple and tulip poplar because that's what's available. It might do better on denser hardwoods. When I first got the unit I didn't like it but it was mostly my fault as I never had a wood burner before and didn't appreciate the importance of well seasoned firewood. One potential disadvantage of this unit is that it uses refractories instead of firebrick. If you crack one of the refractory panels they are expensive to replace. Alternatively, you can make your own if you are willing to create a mold and cast one from refractory cement. Mine is perfect after 3 years so, it hasn't been a problem. All in all, I am very satisfied with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have been wondering about the fans. I remember the fan on my insert at my last house was louder than I wished. How did the fan controller help? Does that just turn down the speed, so you sacrifice performance for less sound? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.