Tips for Delivering Log Lengths on an Asphalt Driveway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I am thinking of getting a load of log lengths. Last time, several years ago, we had a crushed stone driveway, and one of the outriggers for the attached unloader (not sure of proper name) dug a hole at the edge of the driveway. Now, we have an asphalt driveway. Would anybody have any tips to prevent damage to the asphalt? Thanks.
VF

Same as on the crushed stone. Driver should have hardwood pads that he lays under the outriggers to spread the weight. If not make sure you have something to lay down for him. Yes, outrigger is the right name.

2' x2' Plywood, at lest 3/4" doubled up (1-1/2").

That's how we run the riggers on the boom truck at work with out leaving marks or getting stuck/hung up.

And on heavier than usual equipment or loads,its not unusual to see 4 or 5 pieces of 3/4" ply fastened together.That or 3 x 12's sandwiched between 3/4 ply.

One more tip. In the Spring of the year I would not want a truck load of logs driving on it.

I just had a load delivered today. I got no marks on the driveway at all and he didn't use anything but the regular metal feet. If you're nervous about it, hand the delivery guy a couple of 3' long 2x12s and nicely ask him to put them under the feet. That should be plenty to distribute the load.

Thanks for the tips, even though not quite as optimistic.

I can see where the subsurface is mushy. I even cringe because I'm going to need oil soon (well the possible $1000 bill also makes me cringe).

ironpony, why so negative?

Thanks Karl. Is there still snow on the ground where you are?
How many feet were there? I seem to remember two.

Yeah there's still about 18" on the ground at my house. A whole lot less than last week. I snowblowed an area next to the driveway about 30' long by 9' wide the whole season.

Its not like you are lifting the whole tri-axle truck off the ground. Lets say the side you are unloading on supports a maximum of 15k lbs when the arm is out there with a big log on it.

15000 lbs / 11.5" wide / 36" long = 36 pounds per square inch.

What PSI are your car tires exerting on the driveway every day? ;-)

velvetfoot said:
ironpony, why so negative?

Because that truck can make your driveway look like swamp muck if the frost is coming out of the ground and you don't have enough base under the asphalt.

By far the best is to make sure he comes when it is completely frozen, I'd worry much more about the whole driveway than the spot the outriggers go.

I would also say to avoid the heat of summer when the asphalt can get soft. I always remember my kick stand going into the asphalt when I was a paper boy. I have a few tire marks from where I make a sharp slow turn in my driveway at the lake. Of course as the driveway gets older it does get harder, I would prefer a frozen ground period.

I would also say to avoid the heat of summer when the asphalt can get soft. I always remember my kick stand going into the asphalt when I was a paper boy. I have a few tire marks from where I make a sharp slow turn in my driveway at the lake. Of course as the driveway gets older it does get harder, I would prefer a frozen ground period.

a residential driveway does not have enough base under it to support the weight
and if your getting it soon add to the problem the thawing ground
the asphalt is also probably on the thin side being a driveway assuming 2 inches 3 max
if it moves or cracks it is just going to get worse quickly
pieces will start chunking out with future freeze thaw cycles
dont mean to be negative, but as expensive as it was to pave
I would not chance it

I am an asphalt paver by trade. I would really be cautious, especially this time of year. The only time of year I would consider it would be in the dead of winter when I was sure the ground had a lot of frost in it. Even then you have to be sure they do not drive off of the edge anywhere. I bring triaxles in my driveway quite often-my driveway is a lot thicker than normal driveways. I still wouldn't bring a truck in when the frost is leaving the ground. You would be better off to mess up your yard-it's a lot cheaper to fix. Is it possible to drop the wood in your yard near the road and cut it up there?
For what it is worth, we fix a lot of driveways damaged by delivery trucks. Most are legit, but it burns me up when people have a POS driveway and try to get a free one cause a delivery truck damaged their "perfectly good" driveway.

Geez, now you guys have me worried. The driveway is brand new. Maybe I'll just get the split wood delivered. Of course, then I won't be able to use my newly-repaired splitter :)

Look into smaller loads. Maybe a Landscaper with a smaller dump would pick-up and deliver for reasonable charges? Especially now, between snow removal time, and landscape time, they may jump at the chance to work.

Thanks.
I might roll the dice if I can get a firm committment from a logger.
I sort of have one now for May.

May is a whole different story from mid march. If it's new, hopefully you know what kind of base you have under it. Subsoil also makes a big difference. I have clay and right now there are gravel town roads that are spongy like my driveway, that's for a car.

Well it looks like I might get a tri-axle load as early as two weeks.
Below is a picture from a couple of years ago, but I think I'd like to drop it parallel to the driveway, if I drop it there.
That way, he wouldn't have to to in that far, but I don't have huge room either.
If not, maybe along the road (less potential problems with driveway maybe, but more logistical problems and more moving of material (wood).

index.php

anyone have thoughts about how much total weight there would be? I wanted to order some logs as well, but we just had the road paved up to our plan and since we had to pitch in on the cost people have been pretty anal about big trucks going on it. Our private road also concerns me a bit and since I am the very last house on the road (~1.5 miles) I don't want to mess anything up.

My driveway is gravel so I don't have to worry about that, but the road getting to me house has me concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.