Total Creosote Blockage After 1-2 Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear flap is thermostatically controlled by the coil up top. The flap should be shut when you get stovetop temps up around 600. I only used the side hole for getting the stove up to temp, otherwise I always let the rear flap do all of the air control.
And how do you operate the damper?

And how do you operate the damper?

With my old Defiant I would bring the stovetop temp up to 550 - 600 (griddle temp), and close the damper. The flap in the back you'll have to adjust when the stove is up around those temps. It's an ancient design, but was rather effective for its time.

Reactions: Whiskey Fun
the round hole on the side is for when the damper is closed and you have a secondary fire. otherwise it is closed.. if you leave it open for the whole burn you will probably go thru more wood. once you fire the stove up to 600 to 700 degrees then close your damper with the side hole open. once you get the secondary going it turns into a whole different stove heat wise.

This is the result after one day and night long fire. Stove top temps kept between 400-600 degrees. I never used the damper as I wanted to rule out other possible creosote causing problems first. I imagine it's normal to get some carbon build up, especially when burning only 4 month seasoned wood and in a stove that I've been told is a smoker.

Preliminary conclusions: Not having a cap at the bottom of the T-section was probably the biggest culprit, especially because the blockage would occur right there in and just above the T-section. And I definitely think having two 90 degree elbows and the abrupt 8" to 6" reducer was choking the system. I've never experienced draft like last night. Even with just a large bed of embers, if I cracked the door, the fire would roar up like an F-14 jet engine from Top Gun.

I'm stoked with the results. Now I have to decide, do I extend the hearth to accommodate this giant adapter, or do I suck it up and upgrade to a newer stove?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 321
keep an eye on that spot where the inner liner is distorted. That is where i see those liners fail quickly and why i will never install one again. I only did 2 and i have since replaced both at my cost. I was installing a third when i saw a spot like the one in your liner and pulled it out then and ordered a different liner i was not putting a liner in like that. Sorry for going on a bit i just really hate those liners. Watch that spot it will get snagged by a brush when you clean

keep an eye on that spot where the inner liner is distorted. That is where i see those liners fail quickly and why i will never install one again. I only did 2 and i have since replaced both at my cost. I was installing a third when i saw a spot like the one in your liner and pulled it out then and ordered a different liner i was not putting a liner in like that. Sorry for going on a bit i just really hate those liners. Watch that spot it will get snagged by a brush when you clean
Thank you. I'll do my best to push it back into place, but couldn't there be many more farther up liner? How long did they take to fail? It's suppose to have a lifetime warranty if inspected every year by a licensed sweep.

So did I get that "crap" liner you said not to get?

That's the one. Two ply "smooth wall". I pulled mine after one season and replaced it.

Any chance you'd be able to tell me the brand of the heavy smooth wall that you use. I actually chose this at a higher cost because of a previously mentioned post suggesting smooth wall.

Any chance you'd be able to tell me the brand of the heavy smooth wall that you use. I actually chose this at a higher cost because of a previously mentioned post suggesting smooth wall.
we use olympia. either armor flex which is the heaviest or hybrid. they are constructed completly different from what you have

And of course they're only 2 hours away from me. But you can only buy from them if you have a business.
yeah where are you at? we are about 2 hours from them also

Yeah we are pretty much dead center of the state

I'm curious - Where did you get your liner ?
I'd rather not trash talk as mine hasn't failed yet. But if you search YouTube for chimney liner installation, there will be a few from a chimney supplier that come up. Begins with an "R". Although I think if there is bad product (known to fail) out there, then the folks on this forum absolutely should be made aware. But that leads the forum open to rival companies hijacking threads to trash other products and promote their own. I'm not sure if that happens here but if definitely happens on other forums. Perhaps a thread titled, " Flexible Liner Review", would be a more appropriate place to discuss this?

I'd rather not trash talk as mine hasn't failed yet. But if you search YouTube for chimney liner installation, there will be a few from a chimney supplier that come up. Begins with an "R". Although I think if there is bad product (known to fail) out there, then the folks on this forum absolutely should be made aware. But that leads the forum open to rival companies hijacking threads to trash other products and promote their own. I'm not sure if that happens here but if definitely happens on other forums. Perhaps a thread titled, " Flexible Liner Review", would be a more appropriate place to discuss this?

As yours hasn't failed it wouldn't be considered bad mouthing the company. I was just curious, that's all. I got mine from Chimneylinerdepot.com and it seems good so far. This is only my second season with it.

There are many manufacturers that make that type of liner. In my opinion it is just a poorly designed product. It can last ok but it is very delicate and extremely easy to damage during installation. and once that inner liner is damaged it does shorten the life of the product. And no it will not be covered by warantee because it was damaged during installation.

As yours hasn't failed it wouldn't be considered bad mouthing the company. I was just curious, that's all. I got mine from Chimneylinerdepot.com and it seems good so far. This is only my second season with it.
True. I'm not trash talking yet. Rockford's smooth wall. I'm confused about how an inner coil could protrude in like that as a result of installation. It's all interior. On a side note, the Steelers beat Denver!!! Now let's go Birds!!! E.A.G.L.E.S. Eagles!!!

That interior strip is only attached on one edge of the strip. Most of the time the distortions occur when it is uncoiled.

That interior strip is only attached on one edge of the strip. Most of the time the distortions occur when it is uncoiled.
Again, I don't see how that would fall under improper installation as it must be uncoiled before installing. Especially considering this company obviously advertises to diy-ers, presumably, because of all their how-to videos.

Don't know anybody here that can speak for Rockford. Need to talk to them.

I installed mine in 2006 and pulled it and threw it off the roof into the woods, where it still lays except six feet I cut off a few years ago to use on the meat smoker, in 2007 and replaced it with single wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.