Tourist spotting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
Came up in another thread not in the Inglenook I am choosing to not derail.

Local to you, is it good or bad to be seen as a tourist, and how do the locals tell?

In Fairbanks, tourism is a sizable chunk of our economy and as a city, with the usual outliers, being seen as a tourist generally means we will be kind to you because we want you to spend money. Lots and lots of money.

1. Nobody local knows the numbers on any of the three highways and 2 pieces of bypass. We know which highway to take to get to any town you care to name, but we aren't going to tell you take route number 4. Our local highways are the Steese, the Mitchell, the Rich(ardson), the Johannsen and the Parks.
2. Your clothes, they are so clean. In Fairbanks we have regular Carhartts and our good (Sunday go to meeting) Carhartts. Above +40 to 50dF we wear short pants in the heat. Stuff from REI is for wearing on the trail if you have money. And the shoes. Anyone wearing shoes that aren't beat to crap is not from here.
3. Are you blase around sidearms or freaking out? Not long ago, after church one day, my wife and I jumped in our boat and crossed the Tanana river into the Tanana flats. This is a wetland wilderness area about the size of Vermont. It isn't a national park or a wildlife preserve or anything, it is just wilderness starting about 6 miles from my house. Of course I carried a sidearm. After a lovely nap in the sun, my wife suggested we go see our older son at AlaskaLand and get some ice cream. So we went up the Chena river, past my truck and boat trailer, to AlaskaLand at more or less Peger Road and Airport Road, tied up at the dock(there is no locking storage on my boat), got some ice cream, visited our son who was running a goldpanning concession in the park that summer, and I ran into a tourist from Merry Olde England.

I didn't actually bump into him physically, but he was clearly from away and seemed friendly enough, non threatening. Talking to him it was pretty clear he couldn't keep his eyes of my Ruger Redhawk and in retrospect he had probably never seen one before. Having downsized from a SW X frame it seems to me a relatively innocuous revolver. If you can cruise around a Kroger with a .357 or better open carried and not knock over a bunch of canned goods you will fit right in in Fairbanks. Leave your good Carhartts at home.

But in Fairbanks it is fine to be a tourist. We are happy to stop and talk to you about how great it is here, where the good food is, etc, etc, we recognize tourism (in general) as important part of our economy and we (mostly) want you to enjoy your stay. We do have a collection of grumpy old coots who won't give you the time of day, but when you see one there will be 8 other people trying to make eye contact with you so we can help you.

The wife and I are looking at going to France. We are planning to skip Paris and head straight to Rheims or Nice. I am going to land with long hair, get a local haircut and then go get some local shoes with some minimal French vocabulary. What I want is a rental with a kitchen in it so I can try a bunch of french ingredients in the various recipes I like that just don't quite do it for me with American ingredients. My wife wants a tan and champagne. France (never been) doesn't seem to be a good place to be marked as a tourist from 300 meters in 0.002 seconds.

What about near you?

Well, the tourists here run their boats into the sandbars. It appears they don’t know how to read bouys. Light colored/dark colored water as a hint doesn’t seem to work either. Once they hit it, instead of backing off, they push the throttle forward.

They’re lucky it’s sand, not rock.

I’m ok with open carry and concealed for that matter. I know many who do. I think the further away from the city one is, the less anybody cares what anybody else does. I’m interested to see how the recent ruling changes things in the People’s Democratic Republic of New York.

We are on a primary route for tourists going to Alaska. Basically if you are coming from Montana or East you will drive through Grande Prairie. Or if you choose to visit the national parks to see Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper you will end up here too.

The dead giveaway is the license plates, but when someone walks into a business with a rude demeanor and a southern drawl it's takes about 2 seconds to figure out where they're from. (Most locals use "good morning", "please", "thank you", and "have a nice day" as part of our vernacular, it stands out when tourists don't).

For us it's not really a concern most of the time, most tourists only stop for fuel or food and some stop for a night in a hotel or their RVs. Tourism is only a very small portion of our local economy.

Came up in another thread not in the Inglenook I am choosing to not derail.

Local to you, is it good or bad to be seen as a tourist, and how do the locals tell?

In Fairbanks, tourism is a sizable chunk of our economy and as a city, with the usual outliers, being seen as a tourist generally means we will be kind to you because we want you to spend money. Lots and lots of money.

1. Nobody local knows the numbers on any of the three highways and 2 pieces of bypass. We know which highway to take to get to any town you care to name, but we aren't going to tell you take route number 4. Our local highways are the Steese, the Mitchell, the Rich(ardson), the Johannsen and the Parks.
2. Your clothes, they are so clean. In Fairbanks we have regular Carhartts and our good (Sunday go to meeting) Carhartts. Above +40 to 50dF we wear short pants in the heat. Stuff from REI is for wearing on the trail if you have money. And the shoes. Anyone wearing shoes that aren't beat to crap is not from here.
3. Are you blase around sidearms or freaking out? Not long ago, after church one day, my wife and I jumped in our boat and crossed the Tanana river into the Tanana flats. This is a wetland wilderness area about the size of Vermont. It isn't a national park or a wildlife preserve or anything, it is just wilderness starting about 6 miles from my house. Of course I carried a sidearm. After a lovely nap in the sun, my wife suggested we go see our older son at AlaskaLand and get some ice cream. So we went up the Chena river, past my truck and boat trailer, to AlaskaLand at more or less Peger Road and Airport Road, tied up at the dock(there is no locking storage on my boat), got some ice cream, visited our son who was running a goldpanning concession in the park that summer, and I ran into a tourist from Merry Olde England.

I didn't actually bump into him physically, but he was clearly from away and seemed friendly enough, non threatening. Talking to him it was pretty clear he couldn't keep his eyes of my Ruger Redhawk and in retrospect he had probably never seen one before. Having downsized from a SW X frame it seems to me a relatively innocuous revolver. If you can cruise around a Kroger with a .357 or better open carried and not knock over a bunch of canned goods you will fit right in in Fairbanks. Leave your good Carhartts at home.

But in Fairbanks it is fine to be a tourist. We are happy to stop and talk to you about how great it is here, where the good food is, etc, etc, we recognize tourism (in general) as important part of our economy and we (mostly) want you to enjoy your stay. We do have a collection of grumpy old coots who won't give you the time of day, but when you see one there will be 8 other people trying to make eye contact with you so we can help you.

The wife and I are looking at going to France. We are planning to skip Paris and head straight to Rheims or Nice. I am going to land with long hair, get a local haircut and then go get some local shoes with some minimal French vocabulary. What I want is a rental with a kitchen in it so I can try a bunch of french ingredients in the various recipes I like that just don't quite do it for me with American ingredients. My wife wants a tan and champagne. France (never been) doesn't seem to be a good place to be marked as a tourist from 300 meters in 0.002 seconds.

What about near you?
I've been to Rheims (little Paris) and Nice, but only passing through as a young teenager with my family on our way to the UK for a military assignment. You will stand out no matter what you do, it's unavoidable. I think most Europeans are pretty welcoming to Americans if you are polite and not loud. When I traveled across Europe as a teenager and later as an adult I found most locals are delighted to hear about stuff "from away" (to borrow a local Mainer term). Especially if you avoid the tourist traps and like to get off the main roads.

Maine is also known as "Vacationland" so plenty of tourists here. They don't annoy me as they bring much needed disposable income to an area that doesn't have much. Behind the scenes I think most folks born and raised here harbor some resentment towards the tourists. My county in particular is more economically challenged than most, and it's hard to watch tourists use the place and disappear. Sounds like the Fairbanks local garb is the same as here, and it makes tourists stand out even more. I barely even wear my "nice" clothes anymore and I don't even know where my dress shoes are. My town is a bit more rural than Fairbanks, we don't have any stoplights, but it sounds like life is pretty similar. With fuel prices up there are a lot less tourists than the last few years since we moved here. We are one of the last stops till you hit Canada, so I can't say I'm surprised less people are making the trip all the way out here.

In previous years it's been easy to notice as they slow down to 20 mph to gawk at local views. This year, however, many truck drivers are driving extra slow to conserve fuel so it's not always as obvious. Rental car and out of state plates verify. In town, they are often the ones slowly crossing the street, eyes on cellphones. We don't try to eat out during tourist season weekends. It's too hard to get a table. Most of the restaurants are closed on Mondays and some on Tuesdays. You can tell the tourist by their hungry looks and getting stopped with questions about where to eat. I don't mind most tourists except that some seem to have no qualms about tossing to-go trash out of their car windows and on the beaches.

I'm in Ohio, we don't get very many tourists. ;lol

I was wondering if you caught my comment in the other thread about being a tourist in Fairbanks. Beautiful state, but it would be way too cold for me during the winter time. I guess that's the beauty of Alaska, and what keeps the people out and from screwing too much of it up.

I was wondering if you caught my comment in the other thread about being a tourist in Fairbanks.
It might very well have been you that inspired this thread, as I didn't want to derail the other one.

I saw an RV with Quebecois plates just today, while I was waiting for a propane fill, and gave them the run down on the busses inside Denali Park.

If you go, you want to be on the first bus to leave the visitor center in the morning. The wildlife in the park is relatively inured to the park busses going by, but mostly they get off the ground and walk away from the road as the busses start coming. Also, no good reason to go in further than the Eielsen vistor center for a day trip. Pack a picnic, ride in to Eielsen, have the picnic, catch the next bus back out, you didn't miss anything on a day trip.

Plenty of tourists in Olde City Philadelphia and Amish Lancaster, each with their own quirks.

Most of the former run the steps of the art museum, do the Rocky pose, and then eat cheesesteaks in one of the two worst (but most famous) establishments for that cuisine. They also stand in line for an hour to see a bell, which does... nothing. Most seem to enjoy Carpenters Hall (1st continental congress), Independence Hall (2nd congress) Elfreth's Alley, and the Edgar Allen Poe or Betsy Ross houses, which are all good.

Most of the latter spend their time shopping mass-produced furniture stores, labeled "Amish", and wondering why people who don't allow themselves the pleasure of electricity are using computerized cash registers.

There are a few who will take the time to see the more interesting side of each place, perhaps spend a night on South Street or the Avenue of the Arts in Philly, or spend a few days tending cows and fields on one of a few working farms that double as bed and breakfasts in Lancaster. But they seem to be the minority. Hershey Park is a local treasure, as is the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, or Franklin Institute... but I don't think many are coming from far and wide to see any of them.

Last edited:
Philadelphia is a nice place to visit. The last time in Philly we enjoyed touring Independence Hall, Reading Market, and the Philadelphia Art Museum. Even though the museum is tainted by the shady deal it did to steal the Barnes collection, it presents the works well.

Philadelphia is a nice place to visit. The last time in Philly we enjoyed touring Independence Hall, Reading Market, and the Philadelphia Art Museum. Even though the museum is tainted by the shady deal it did to steal the Barnes collection, it presents the works well.
Oooh... now you piqued my interest. Never heard of the Barnes deal. Something to read about, tonight.

If anyone is visiting Philly, I'd suggest skipping the cracked bell, Pats, and Genos. Hit Independence Hall, Carpenters Hall, Reading Market, Natural History museum, and Elfreth's Alley (see Poe's and Ross's Philly digs, while you're in the neighborhood), and then grab a cheesesteak at any decent pizza shop not named Pat's or Geno's. Hit the art museum, the adjacent water works, or the zoo, if you have a second day to spare. If you want something really unusual, find the Mutter museum.

I used to get a free pass to the art museum on Sundays, being a student in the city, but it's probably been 20 years since I last visited. I wonder if they still have their excellent collection of medieval armor and early firearms.

Reactions: sloeffle
Tourists in Kansas? 😂 Most say, “Let’s hurry through here!” We do get the odd person past our house that doesn’t know what they are doing. We live on a gravel road that changes to dirt at our drive. If it’s been raining, you don’t drive past our place and continue on the dirt road because, unless you have 4x4, you will get stuck. Had one guy come past once, got stuck, we pulled him out and he says, “I think I turned down the wrong street.” Well, yes, buddy, you sure did. The nearest “street” is 5 miles away in our local town of 80 some people on a good day.

Reactions: sloeffle
The wife is a Poe fan. I spent the tour noticing the spots that would need to be sealed to keep mice out.

The sea port museum was nice. The Olympia and sub were great. I’d have liked to see the New Jersey, it’s an awesome looking ship, but didn’t have time.

The wife is a Poe fan. I spent the tour noticing the spots that would need to be sealed to keep mice out.

The sea port museum was nice. The Olympia and sub were great. I’d have liked to see the New Jersey, it’s an awesome looking ship, but didn’t have time.
The curator of the New Jersey has one of my favorite YouTube channels. You should check it out, if you haven't already. He started it (or at least got serious about it) when the pandemic shut them down.

Oooh... now you piqued my interest. Never heard of the Barnes deal. Something to read about, tonight.
Watch the movie The Art of the Steal.

Reactions: Ashful
My favorite spot in Philly was the Rodin museum a block or two from the art museum. I drove by the bell, the line was far too long to contemplate. Also Valley Forge isn't that far. I like Lexington Green up by Boston better, when I was at VF they had "keep off the grass" signs about every five feet.

The Battleship New Jersey is a great channel! For similar, check out Tom Scott, The Older One. Its an older gentleman who is involved with the Texas. He does really in depth videos and its fascinating how much swas done by hand on a ship built by mules. They literally had mule ramps up the side during construction!

Thanks for the tips @Ashful, my daughter and I are coincidentally going to Philly this summer for vacation.

Reactions: Ashful
If you go, you want to be on the first bus to leave the visitor center in the morning. The wildlife in the park is relatively inured to the park busses going by, but mostly they get off the ground and walk away from the road as the busses start coming. Also, no good reason to go in further than the Eielsen vistor center for a day trip. Pack a picnic, ride in to Eielsen, have the picnic, catch the next bus back out, you didn't miss anything on a day trip.
When we went to Denali, we were one of the first buses out ( think it left at 5 or 6AM ). The bus driver said it was the best time to see wildlife also.

My favorite spot in Philly was the Rodin museum a block or two from the art museum. I drove by the bell, the line was far too long to contemplate. Also Valley Forge isn't that far. I like Lexington Green up by Boston better, when I was at VF they had "keep off the grass" signs about every five feet.
I need to get back to Valley Forge. Being maybe only 40 minutes' drive from where I grew up, we used to take class field trips there, as a kid. Haven't been back since at least high school, when you're really too young to appreciate what those guys went thru.

Lots of Rev. war history in this neighborhood. My grandmother grew up in the house used as Headquarters by Washington, Dec. 14 thru 24 of 1776, he planned the famous Christmas raid on the Hessians in Trenton from the dining room of that house. Double agent John Honeyman was imprisoned in their spring house. Another uncle's house was the Decision House, headquarters of General Lord Stirling, and where all of the general officers of the patriot army met to agree upon and confirm that battle plan. That house is now a National Park that you can visit and tour, named the Thompson-Neely house, although it was all Thompson back then. Another old gristmill-turned-house my wife and I almost bought prior to this house is remembered for the British spies that Washington had sentenced to death there, they were hung from a makeshift gallows set up in what's now the back yard of that house. Too many others to list.

I've always enjoyed visiting New England, and in particular, Boston. Lots of interesting history there, and I always try to detect if I can still smell the molasses, if I'm there in summer. On my last trip, I went for lunch at Cheers bar, which was fun. The burger was much better than I had expected, for a tourist trap. I also love Mystic Seaport museum and Williamsburg Virginia, two places that I haven't been in 15 - 20 years, now that I'm thinking about it.

Lot of Rev war (Saratoga, Taiconderoga, William Henry) stuff here. As well as French and Indian War.

Yes, I forgot about that. We went there last time too. I wasn't expecting much in comparison with the one in Paris, but was pleasantly surprised. They have an excellent collection of his work.

Re: Lexington Green near Boston v- Valley Forge near Philly.

When I went to Lexington Green I was allowed to walk on the grass. Starting near the front portico of the church, and knowing where the only superpower in the world at the time marched in, I was able to walk out with a mental 'squirrel rifle', and choose a place to stand. It was literally (for me) a religious experience where the Holy Spirit allowed me to connect with the individuals there in the moment, the crucified Jesus of history, and the Christ I believe will come again. As an individual in agreement with my neighbors.

At Valley Forge I was hoping to connect with the group, the guys who had actually been in combat together, and were still standing together, barefoot in the snow, for a cluster of ideas they all still believed in. I wasn't able to do that. In the early 1990s there was a paved road suitable for golf carts that encircled both the parade ground and the adjacent mound where Lafayette and Washington used to stand. I wasn't allowed on the grass. If I ever go back, I am walking out there, signs be darned, so I can turn and face that earthen mound with an open heart as a member of the community. I have utmost respect for the National Park Service, but they screwed the pooch on that one the day I was there.

Boston. I went for lunch at Cheers bar, which was fun. The burger was much better than I had expected, for a tourist trap.
When I was working in Boston as a contractor ~2003 there were so many tourists going to Cheers that I could not wear underwear only in my second floor apartment three blocks away. So many tourist I had to wear short pants in my own home. The upside was I was only two blocks away from the barge in the Charles River where all the fireworks got launched from while the Boston Pops were playing the good stuff on July 4.

Yes, I forgot about that. We went there last time too. I wasn't expecting much in comparison with the one in Paris, but was pleasantly surprised. They have an excellent collection of his work.

IIRC the only larger collection is in Paris. I had to stop and get a beverage and sit thoughtfully so I could view them one at a time. His works are just jammed in there willy nilly and could do with a larger piece of land to spread them out some, I think.

At Valley Forge I was hoping to connect with the group, the guys who had actually been in combat together, and were still standing together, barefoot in the snow, for a cluster of ideas they all still believed in. I wasn't able to do that. In the early 1990s there was a paved road suitable for golf carts that encircled both the parade ground and the adjacent mound where Lafayette and Washington used to stand. I wasn't allowed on the grass. If I ever go back, I am walking out there, signs be darned, so I can turn and face that earthen mound with an open heart as a member of the community. I have utmost respect for the National Park Service, but they screwed the pooch on that one the day I was there.
That's bizarre. I guess it's been more than a few years since I've been there, even though I now live only 25 minutes away. Last time I was there, we ran all over the grass, in and through the log cabins, everywhere and everything. Not sure why they'd have changed that, it's hard to damage dirt.

Are you sure it wasn't just a temporary measure, that they were in the process of re-planting the grass, or in the middle of our usual July/August drought? It's also normal here to put down pesticide in mid-June, to deal with our horrible Japanese beetle populations (and now... ticks), so is it possible they were just keeping people off the grass until the pesticide had been rained in?