mwhitnee Posted By mwhitnee, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM

1. mwhitnee

mwhitnee
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 10, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Mass, USA
    Have the tires filled up. Tires have a little dry rot but not too bad easily holding air.

Got my ball hitch, hitch pin. The splitter has 2 small chains to hook to the truck.

Any precautions I should take? I've never towed before. I'll be putting a flag on the back of the splitter.

Please be specific if you can. I'll be taking back roads, 45 minute drive. Thanks

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    If I had that long a drive I would honestly load it in a trailer if at all possible to bring it to wherever you are going . . . short wheelbase, no suspension, etc. make me leery of hauling it very far or very fast.

StihlKicking, beatlefan and Jeffm1 like this.
  3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I got my splitter used about 5 years ago. It came from the factory all set up for towing - has a light kit on it just for that.

But I still brought it home on a trailer. Much less to worry about - on a 1 hour highway drive. That way small stance & wheelbase, and tiny tires - not very confidence inspiring.

EDIT: But if I absolutely had to, I would likely try it on a 40 minute back road drive if I didn't have access to a trailer. (Wouldn't take a very big trailer either). Nice & slow. If it doesn't have lights or license plate - somebody who drives a car sporting flashing red & blue lights could possibly cause you grief depending on the situation & their mood.

Jeffm1 likes this.
  4. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Milw
    with out suspension you will be limited to about 30 mph max. Over that it gets to bouncing and dancing like a person that just got into a ground hornets nest. All that banging around is real hard on the tank welds, pia to repair. Much safer although a bit of a pain to trailer it. Then you can take it anywhere at any speed. Or sub frame it and add suspension. Because of short coupling length and depending on your tow vehicle can't even see it behind you - backing it up to some where is another pia.

D8Chumley, Soundchasm and Jeffm1 like this.
  5. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Towed mine home from the dealer last week after buying it new, no issues with towing and that's about a 30 minute drive. didn't go over 45, as that's what the Ariens is rated for. It worked with no issues but I'd rather not do it again. I also had issues with a coupling coming loose inside a cover/box off the motor due to set screws vibrating loose which i'd attribute to a combination of towing and using it that same night. Though the dealer assumes it just wasn't set right from the factory.

Long story short, it's do-able. avoid sharp turns and pot holes. and attempting to back it up was pretty laughable for anyone watching me, and thats even with a back up camera. Pull straight in to wherever you're going and just move the splitter by hand if possible.

mwhitnee likes this.
  6. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    You will be fine.. just keep it under 45mph.. i loaned mine to my brother in law and he is an hour away. 2 hour round trip and all was well..

mwhitnee likes this.
  7. beatlefan

beatlefan
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I agree with the 45 mph max. Otherwise, it will bounce around as noted in the other posts. A friend of mine loaned his out to another friend and the guy towed down the road at full speed. Needless to say, he flipped it over and did serious damage to it. He took it back without even offering to pay for repairs. Which leads to my next piece of advice. Don't loan it out. LOL

D8Chumley, Soundchasm and mwhitnee like this.
  8. Grateful11

Grateful11
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2014
    Loc:
    NC
    I took ours to my brothers home a few years ago as his doesn't do vertical splits. We loaded it on a small 5x8' trailer and strapped it down. 30 minute drive mostly on the interstate and no worries.

9. NickDL

NickDL
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 27, 2012
    Loc:
    Souderton, Pa
    I bought mine used, which was a 35 mile trip. I towed behind. You truck up the turnpike. I went slow and steady in the right lane. If I were to do it again, I'd throw it in my trailer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. mwhitnee

mwhitnee
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 10, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Mass, USA
    Well I did it. Made it safely home. Think the unit is fine but will inspect it tomorrow.

Thought about a light kit but then looking at it, it wouldn't really work unless I spent a lot of time on it. Truck lights were easily seen and I flagged the back.

Kinda loud but kept it under 45 and avoided bumps and potholes. I have a lot to split!!

11. Longstreet

Longstreet
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Ive towed mine along interstate 285 in Atlanta. 285 is pretty much a racetrack so going 45 mph would get you run off the road.

12. mwhitnee

mwhitnee
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 10, 2015
    Loc:
    Central Mass, USA
    Used the gps, back roads. Found a much better ride home too. :)

13. saewoody

saewoody
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Agreed. Had a similar situation. It was a miserable drive. Towing around town is fine, but longer drives are tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Throw a fiskars splitting axe and an 8 pound maul in the back, and leave the hydraulic monstrosity where it sits on it's dry-rotted tires. Burn some calories and flex those muscles! And, drive as fast as you want!

CincyBurner and WoodyIsGoody like this.
  15. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Some of us, due to the infirmities of age, are not able to wield one those for hours on end. Cheer up you will get there sooner or later also. Nothing like a torn rotater cuff to make you reassess your particular likes and dislikes while burning btu's of dino fuel to stay warm.

beatlefan likes this.
  16. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I hear ya, blades. I have a little electric splitter that I now use from time to time that I acquired last year, and I'd have never used one 10 years ago. Just running out of juice and gumption. That said, I'd also go to the joint doctor and get a torn rotator joint untorn (see @CheapBassTurd). Assuming it was repairable, of course. No judgements here, just trying to having some fun banter...

17. xman23

xman23
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    I've told this before. I rented one and after making sure it started at the rental shop, I took off towing the splitter very fast to get in a few hours before dark. About 1/2 hour on winding, bouncing roads. The bouncing caused hydro lock. It took me until the next morning to figure out why I couldn't turn it over.

So turn off the gas, if it has a shut off.

18. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Tow mine all the time at speed
    But it is made to tow with lights and plate holder

19. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    It took me a couple times of towing mine to figure out the engine floods everytime and "oh yeah....it has a shut off valve. duh!" so good advice there, and i'm glad it wasn't just me with this issue...lol