Towing a log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think those splitters are meant for towing around the yard and in and out of the woods, not down the road in any significant capacity. The couple times I've had to move one, I just grab a buddy and heft it into the bed of my pickup, then ratchet strap it down.

That may be true for some of them, but my Huskee 22-ton manual specifies the splitter for on-road towing up to 45 mph maximum speed. They have a whole section on road towing instructions and precautions, if I recall. I only towed it on the road twice, myself, but it did fine.

Similarly, the Iron and Oak splitters (same basic chassis) rented by stores and rental companies all over this country are towed on a daily basis. If stores are allowing customers to tow them, or more importantly their business insurers are permitting that rental, then it must be specified for such by the manufacturer.

That said, if I were to tow it again today, I'd throw it on my trailer. I hated towing something that was too small to see in my mirrors, or that I couldn't back up if I needed to.

Reactions: BSH1F
Check wheel bearing grease, mine came from factory dry. I packed bearings and always pull it to where I will be processing wood. No problems usually no more than 60 mile round trip. Never had any problems.
Also put a small flag mostly because it makes it easier to back the splitter.