Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
The homeowner has already told me what this tree is, but I am not sure I agree with him. Would like a second, third, fourth .... opinion.

Attachments

• hearth20.jpg
    hearth20.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 210
  • hearth21.jpg
    hearth21.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 202
  • hearth22.jpg
    hearth22.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 191
Looks like 2 diferent trees to me. I'd like a closer picture. Second pictures look like malpe but I can't tell for sure. They also remind me of a type of hickory, maybe mockernut. The first picture I can't tell at all. That's my shot in the dark.

Oak

Oak

Red Oak. I can see the shiny ridges on the bark that are characteristic of Red Oak.

Most look like Red Oak, I see a round in the upper left of the 3rd pic that looks to have heartwood a bit too dark for RO though.

Sorry to confuse the issue. I bow to those with more experience and better computers for picture viewing. But it still looks like 2 different trees to me.==c

Thanks everybody. The homeowner said red oak to begin with and the thing is 5 feet at the base. Going to start working on it on Wednesday. Should get a ton of wood from this one. Might take me a week to get it all.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks everybody. The homeowner said red oak to begin with and the thing is 5 feet at the base. Going to start working on it on Wednesday. Should get a ton of wood from this one. Might take me a week to get it all.
pics or it didn't happen....;)
Nice score, bro!:)

R-r-r-r-red Oak has ridges.....And that be Red Oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.