Trouble!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If those welds are all that is supposed to suspend the fire box, I'm not sure I would want an exact replacement. I think I would ask for a total credit toward the purchase of a different stove.

I sure hope VC is listening and does something to remedy this situation.

Webmaster said:
I really can't comment on the engineering of this thing, but holding up a firebox, brick, wood and the heavy steel with a lighter weight shroud does not seem to pass the Acid test. Anyone else seen one of these who can confirm this construction detail.

Just imagine the stresses in even shipping these things....bounce up and down with tremendous strain on the welds. I think CFM should hire young Corie so they get some new blood in there!

Elk, must be those Canadians drinking beer again, Eh?

That is what it looked like last summer when I was looking around at inserts. I thought maybe they just didn't install something under the floor demo.

Hi T,
Don't you know these stoves are for show not for go!! Tell them you want a full not prorated refund or a new stove, which ever you prefer.
If they don't go for this contact The Consumer Safety Commision and file a report with pictures and also your local Better Buisiness Bureau and State Attorneys Generals Office.
Maybe this will send a message to DW and other manufactures, to get in the game and start produceing safe, reliable, products that have a little more longevity than six months.

John

There has to be something else supporting the weight !!! I can't believe that.

I would not take another new one, if that is how it is designed.

The big question here is if the firebox is indeed supported by spot welds, how does a stove like this get certified?

Tendencies said:
What it looked like last fall during my first break in fire-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Aug26239.jpg?t=1174679665

T

If they still give you the run-around, this always works....send them a letter with the following:

"I'm considering filing against your company in small claims court here in Wisconsin. I've looked into the situation and for $25 I can file against your company and for a few dollars more I can have subpoena's issued for you company President, Vice President and all your production line managers, thus effectively shutting your production line down. Also, you will be required to travel here to Wisconsin to litigate this and I'm sure that all the expense you will incur would be dwarfed by the much smaller cost if you were to do the honorable thing and remove my unit and install a brand new unit and/or give me the full cost as a credit towards a new stove. Please let me know within the next 10 days how you would like to bring this matter to an amicable end."

Personally I do not recall seeing one installed. Maybe Seaken can add imput. I don't know the support setup, Again I cannot see if there is angle iron behind the casing,
that would add additional support. I think Waxman also has one

castiron said:
Tendencies said:
What it looked like last fall during my first break in fire-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Aug26239.jpg?t=1174679665

T

If they still give you the run-around, this always works....send them a letter with the following:

"I'm considering filing against your company in small claims court here in Wisconsin. I've looked into the situation and for $25 I can file against your company and for a few dollars more I can have subpoena's issued for you company President, Vice President and all your production line managers, thus effectively shutting your production line down. Also, you will be required to travel here to Wisconsin to litigate this and I'm sure that all the expense you will incur would be dwarfed by the much smaller cost if you were to do the honorable thing and remove my unit and install a brand new unit and/or give me the full cost as a credit towards a new stove. Please let me know within the next 10 days how you would like to bring this matter to an amicable end."

Sounds good.(Right out of "Boston Legal") This should at least raise an eyebrow or two! Are you from the "Legal Profession"?

Fire bug I thought you were staying at a Holiday INN

I'm joking here

elkimmeg said:
Fire bug I thought you were staying at a Holiday INN

Nope. Why would you think that?

Appreciate all the input, I sent Elk a detailed email on whats been going on, again thanks all, hopefully I'll get this resolved before next winter!! :)

T

Tendencies:

I've worked in customer service in the auto biz, (service writer at dlrships, and roadside assistance and cust. svce. at a luxury-importer's H.Q.) as well as as an attorney, and had custsomer contact as an insurance investigator/adjuster, as well--some of the latter involving WRONGFUL DEATH CASES. Based on that roughly 20 years of cust. svce. experience, I can honestly say that VC's response is simply appalling! And unlike one of our more charitable members, I would not be willing to give that VC rep. the benefit of the doubt--I'd be INCENSED!

From a cust. svce. point of view, the following quote is right on:

Request a new stove. Let then take yours and reburbish it and let them sell it. I agree about the welds, done right ,this should have never happened. Remind your dealerthat over a 1000 people have viewed the pictures of the poor welds and the longer they wait to get it swapped, the more their image gets tarnished. PM me If you are having troubles maybe I can help

And then, if that doesn't get you a FULL, CASH REFUND, so you can go buy a different (BRAND?) stove, I would use that excellent quote (in this thread, earlier) about subpeonas for their executives. Not sure small claims necessarily works that way re: subpeona-ing the executives (it varies, state-to-state) but it very well may. The point is, it doesn't matter--it would kickstart their brains! Also, you don't need an attorney to sue in Small Claims, but they DO need an attorney to defend, as they are a corp.

Don't neglect to point out the "nuisance value" to them, either. IOW, in every jurisdiction, it costs "X" number of dollars just for a corp. to "show up," with attorney's fees, any exec. or expert witness's travel, as was suggested, etc.... In "expensive" (meaning, high-dollar jury awards) jurisdictions near NYC, as of 15 years ago, nuisance value was (if memory serves) $6,000. or more. IOW, it would probably cost more than the price of a new stove, just to show up and defend a case, so if they were smart, they'd avoid all that and settle, for a FULL REFUND--NOW. (Including removing that box 'o death).

You might suggest it would behoove them to speak with their attny, before going further down this road--and they should get "Suzy" away from the customers!

You might also point out that buying your stove back, now, is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying your HOUSE, later, and providing maintenance for your wife and kids (through college) should you not be so lucky as they were, in the fire (knock on wood). And it's not like there isn't a documented record of substandared, FAILED welds to show the Court!

Of course, if you're as pissed off about this as I would be in your shoes, you could rub it in a little: :coolsmirk:

Like...I would ask them how many satisfied customers of these stoves they've had. (They'll say they don't have that in front of them.) Get them to agree that they've probably sold thousands of these stoves where the entire weight of the firebox is hanging from four tack welds, and then ask them this:

Do you know what a CLASS ACTION is?

Moving on...the implied suggestion that you weld it is OVER THE TOP!

When faced with such idiocy, (like people contemplating committing a crime, or a really dumb move, like here in VC's case) I often do this:

I ask them to envision how things will sound being read back, from the (Court) transcript:

(For ex., imagine this exchange is taking place in a hearing, after this stove burns your house down, after the repair--say you welded correctly, but some other weld then broke--knock on wood three times.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, VC Exec., I understand you have an extensive training program for welding, at VC?

Harumpph...that's right--we train our welders extensively--for months at a time!

Okay, so...how did you know Mr. Tendencies was competent to reweld his own stove?

Well, he told Suzy, my receptionist, that he was in the Navy, and welded.

Is Suzy versed in the Navy's welder-training requirements?

No, but--

Thanks--next question: Is Suzy a welder?

No, but--

Thanks--next question: Did anyone verify that Tendency knew how to weld? Was certified? Had welded in the last 20 years, since he was in the Navy?

No, but--

Did VC inspect the stove, to see what else might be wrong with it?
No, but--

Thanks--nothing further your Honor. Counsel--your witness.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And Tendencies, you know what would have happened if the stove failed again, after you welded it?

VC would, (no doubt) under the terms of their own warranty, be entitled to say "Well, Mr. Tendencies, you voided your warranty when you welded on your own stove...sorry, we're not responsible."

VC's email to you is OUTRAGEOUS and would be funny, if it were about something that couldn't so foreseeably result in a WRONGFUL DEATH CASE. (Again, knocking on wood three times for you...).

The advice about Consumer Fraud, State Atty. General, Consumer's Union, etc... is all right on. You can call your local BBB and they will get you started on how and where to file reports, etc....

If VC doesn't immed. figure out how much legal exposure they have here, I'd say: "Either you do the right thing now, or as soon as I hang up I'm calling as many State and consumer-type orgs. as I can find numbers for on the 'Net--and I'll post this on the 'Net too. So...how do I spend the rest of my day? You decide--fast."

I have heard too many bad things about VC's cast stoves coming apart (I know yours is steel). In fact, it was those stories that put me off of cast stoves, or any VC stove. I know many people love 'em, (heard there's good years and bad) and I apologize to VC'ers, but this is not the first time I've heard this kind of thing--it's just the most outrageous. Good luck

Yeah, what he said! Great post truepatriot.

First of all I think I can solve the weld quality control issue. Bill. (tenmdencies) has liminte options as to what will fit his opening.
In general he is pleased with the heat vollume and burn times ,actually better than expected.

I fully support bringing in the heavy response if VC draggs its feet. You being new to the form have no Idea the influence I have concerning VC Did you know they gave a new red enamal Everburn Encore for the donor program Yeah the stove that test.7gph.
Also Preffese this the reason we here more about VC issues is their shear Vollume. The Vermont factory produces 50,000 stoves a year alone then their other factories in Canada and Indiana produce the plate steel line. There are over 2mill VC working stoves in homes. The reason we do not hear a lot about of other stoves, is there sampling is rather meager in comparison. Naturally one hears more VC issues than any other stove manufacturer What we do not hear is the millions of satisfied customers, only the few that experience QC issues

Part of my appeal to them is I share the patriotism of supporting Americam manufacturing and American Jobs. Imagine if the plant close what that would do the the small towns in VT. It would leave a void in ther economies that would take years to recover from if ther ever did.

If you followed this forum you will see the conflict of people wanting to ban wood smoke from all stoves the Flagship in this arguement it VC .7gph. I fear that if these negative post tear down a good stove manufacturer we all loose. Not one manufacturer had broken the 1 gph barrier before Vc did

So If I may use my influence and go about getting this issue resolved everbody comes out better. The forum also gains as its power and reconition makes it appealing that manufactures are standing up and taking notice. If I can not help push this along then bring in the heavy artillary and fire away. Each time issues can get resolved by forum influence all forum member gain
eventually and I am working on this other manufactures will not want me to be giving them a call or e-mail to get issues taken care of. And I have some influence to do this.

I told you about my wife pouporie spillage well at first I thought it was a warranty issue and got a hold ov VC I was getting
no where till I informed them that went presenting my seminar to all eastern states Inspectors in Albany that I would not present the best view of their products I reminded them I would be rubbing shoulders with the EPA Comsumer protection divisions of tour government including UL. Evidently they made a call to my state which confirmed I was who I said I was and that I was presenting seminars. I can tell you within one week it was sir what can we do for you and I had a new top

before you diss the crap out ov VC please tell me one other manufacturer that has personally solved stove issues on this forum?
Or is gennerous enough to donate stoves to help others? Tell me why there are millions of satisfied customers ,or do you support what little Amnerican manufacturing we have left. VC is comming out of a very precarious financial situation they are fragial and are banking on their flagship of clean burning. I hope they make it ,susceed and force other manufactures to compete towards clean burning . This is a case we all win. Lets see if this can be done expediently

Contact the US Consumer Product Safety Commission of the Federal Government. Fill out a full report on your stove. Even if Factory Rep, Email and Elk can straighted things out a recall may be needed to be posted in this situation.

Report Unsafe Products
http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

US Consumer Product Safety Commission
http://www.cpsc.gov/

Elk, while I agree with you that VC should have the typical number of chances to resolve this, I do not like the fact that you or anyone else has to get involved. Your involvement with VC is between you and them, and you certainly cannot be the "voice" for tens of thousands of VC owners (nor do you want to be).

The real test is how VC would handle this without you adding your weight to the subject!

In all the years I have run this web site (12), I cannot remember even once having stepped in to solve a customer service problem (although it is possible I forget 1 or 2). The point being that I (and probably you) function better as a casual observer. That allows us to see what the factory does in these situations to MOST customers.

Personally, I think it best to just let the customer and factory handle it - at least until later in the game. Of course, that is my opinion only. Everyone is entitled to mistakes - it's how they deal with them that makes the difference.

elkimmeg said:
I was getting
no where till I informed them that went presenting my seminar to all eastern states Inspectors in Albany that I would not present the best view of their products I reminded them I would be rubbing shoulders with the EPA Consumer protection divisions of tour government including UL. Evidently they made a call to my state which confirmed I was who I said I was and that I was presenting seminars. I can tell you within one week it was sir what can we do for you and I had a new top

before you diss the crap out ov VC please tell me one other manufacturer that has personally solved stove issues on this forum?
Or is generous enough to donate stoves to help others?

Elk, as a follow up to my previous post, on one hand you say VC is personally involved and generous.....in the same paragraph you say that you FORCED them to take care of you by threatening them.

There is a big difference between the two.

BTW, I didn't know about that Red Stove. Was it ever installed in a recipients home? How is it working? Describe chimney setup.

Thank goodness that Bill is a member here and voiced his problem. It's great that Elk is willing and able to help out in this case and I'm sure he can help effect a solution to this problem. Suppose Bill did not find this forum, or did not look elsewhere for advice on this issue. It sounds like he would be stuck with terrible service and a totally unacceptable response to his problem.

The larger issue relates to the seemingly poor customer service that VC is providing in the first place. Even Elk met with the same poor servcie in his warranty experience, until he threatened them. What he did and what is being suggested here are just those threats, of course in these cases they have plenty of weight to back them up. I just don't know that I want to deal with a company that forces things to this level before deciding to do the right thing. Without the weight to back up a threat, the average consumer is all but powerless against a company that does not want to properly stand behind a problem with one of their products.

Just my .02, but I think I would opt for the refund and a different stove all together.

In all fairness when the everburn isues with the encore was broght to my and ours attention I hesitated in making the installation. that and the current stove still functions and will make a good rebuild canidate However I'm tired making stop gap repaires. By the second week in Janualry passed the future owner and I decided to replace it after the heating season. this stove is the sole heat provider in the familly room and there is plumbing involede that could freeze. When the cold weather arrived this turned out to be the best choice. GVA and I will make the installation without a media circus only to be recorded here The Century donation will be installed probably next Saturday. Foir the rest of the country I will be using my stove to heat for another month though maybe not 24/7 while you are experiencing 70 degrses snow if forcat tonight only a couple of days back I woke up to 15 drgrees Its still cold here

Another point this stove is not made in VT but either Indiana or Canada I may not have as much influence I agree with WEB to stay out of it and let the natural events occure at least for a while.. I am also tryiung to convince VC to monitor this site and to participate here. s Simmilare to what Mike does for ESW That being so, little brush fires get contained, before they develope
into lynch mob mentality. I admitted to a little arm twisting but out of it I am hoping less and less arm twisting has to occure. I sure others in computers cars or any applaices has had Qc issues and at some time they got no where till the showed resolve they were not going away. ITS not just one stove manufacturer ever hear of auto recalls.

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester that has a known rear wheel bearing issue Not enough for a recall my dealer wants to charge me $550 to correct it as I'm out of warranty There are pages and pages of complaints about this subaru issue on the web yet Subaru does not admitt to it However their replacement berrings is not the same and also not used in models newer than 2004.
I asked them if the berings were noit an issue then why have they changed them? I have yet to get an answer I replaced it my self $198 and now the other side is acting up. these problems are not manufacture only but all manufactures have problems Within the past week we have a burn tube weld problem on a quad where is the lynch mod on that one We had a castings crack ina Jotul again where is the lynch mob and about 8 harman post none have suggested the lynch mob approach

This is not the first post that this guy Mr davison has looked follish here. this is the second one within 30 days. I agree his suggestion is unaceptable Has anyone ever had to talk to tier one computer tech support and then have to convince that tech the issue is beyond his capabilities and get bumped to the next teir and beyond? Do you get tired installing updates and fixes twice a week from microsoft?

Elk, a forum is not by definition a place that is always "fair" - it reflects the opinions and experiences of the users.

Folks may expect more out of a company like VC because of the legend - a legend they have used to sell million of stoves. So when the legend comes back and bite them, it is all in fair play! They have used the VC name and legend to sell stoves that would not have met the original founders quality goals...again, all is fair, but so is the right of the customer to have a stove that does not drop.

Personally, I don't go for the lawyers and lawsuit bit - I think VC will respond (forum or no forum) way before it gets to that. After all, there is really not a lot of cost to them. The old stove can be fixed up and sold at one of their events (if they still have them) or given away and a deduction taken, etc. - it is really just a matter of getting to someone who can actually make a decision.

You are right that these problems occur with Apple, HP and other big and well regarded companies - and folks often get the same lame responses until they finally get through to the right person.

As far as comparison with other stove makes, you are correct there also. BUT, keep in mind that VC is not alone in producing tens of thousands of stoves a year - off the top of my head you have Jotul, Travis, Regency, Quad and probably others that are in the same ball park.

I'm still a bit spooked by the engineering - although I will have to look closer. Hanging plate steel from sheet metal and welding thin sheet to thicker in such a manner does not seem like the best way. Certainly the sheet metal can support the weight, but IMHO it is the fastening method that is suspect. Perhaps a heavy rivet or through bolts/tapped holes etc. would be better. My guess is that this joint can weaken in shipping and then the expansion of the stove is the final nail in the coffin (so to speak).

Granted, I am not either an engineer or a stove builder, but I was in demolition at one time (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express).

Hey, it's springtime and forum members may have less to do in terms of wood burning - forgive them if they over react!

Webmaster said:
Elk, a forum is not by definition a place that is always "fair" - it reflects the opinions and experiences of the users.

Folks may expect more out of a company like VC because of the legend - a legend they have used to sell million of stoves. So when the legend comes back and bite them, it is all in fair play! They have used the VC name and legend to sell stoves that would not have met the original founders quality goals...again, all is fair, but so is the right of the customer to have a stove that does not drop.

Personally, I don't go for the lawyers and lawsuit bit - I think VC will respond (forum or no forum) way before it gets to that. After all, there is really not a lot of cost to them. The old stove can be fixed up and sold at one of their events (if they still have them) or given away and a deduction taken, etc. - it is really just a matter of getting to someone who can actually make a decision.

You are right that these problems occur with Apple, HP and other big and well regarded companies - and folks often get the same lame responses until they finally get through to the right person.

As far as comparison with other stove makes, you are correct there also. BUT, keep in mind that VC is not alone in producing tens of thousands of stoves a year - off the top of my head you have Jotul, Travis, Regency, Quad and probably others that are in the same ball park.

I'm still a bit spooked by the engineering - although I will have to look closer. Hanging plate steel from sheet metal and welding thin sheet to thicker in such a manner does not seem like the best way. Certainly the sheet metal can support the weight, but IMHO it is the fastening method that is suspect. Perhaps a heavy rivet or through bolts/tapped holes etc. would be better. My guess is that this joint can weaken in shipping and then the expansion of the stove is the final nail in the coffin (so to speak).

Granted, I am not either an engineer or a stove builder, but I was in demolition at one time (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express).

Hey, it's springtime and forum members may have less to do in terms of wood burning - forgive them if they over react!

Web,

I agree.......even if it's fully supported elsewhere, the fact that when this weld broke that it gave way should be enough to give VC engineers pause and say: "this isn't right...let's bring it back and examine it and give the customer a full refund"........but they're not..........my guess is that this guys boss doesn't know what his subordinate is syaing to the customer...if he did, any reasonable person would be appaled and step in and make things right.......so....I suggest someone get to this guys boss and say "does what your VC rep is saying to this customer sound right"?????..

That statement concerning the Consumer safety dept. had me worried, (thanks for the tip!) never thought about how many of this type stoves are out there made by VC, was it a bad day for the welder, new guy, short on gas for the welder, poor welding wire, poor design, or a million different things could of caused this. I went to there site and filled out the sheet, pretty easy and no direct flames at the company, only telling them the possibility exists that they may have a problem on a much larger scale and somebody should look into it before somebody gets hurt or worse...

T

Not knowing this specific stove's design I keep asking myself, why it this stovebox suspended from the top? Why not add feet or at least weld on lower supports that contact the hearth? This could easily be done without compromising airflow for the blower.

elkimmeg said:
First of all I think I can solve the weld quality control issue. Bill. (tenmdencies) has liminte options as to what will fit his opening.
In general he is pleased with the heat vollume and burn times ,actually better than expected.

I fully support bringing in the heavy response if VC draggs its feet. You being new to the form have no Idea the influence I have concerning VC Did you know they gave a new red enamal Everburn Encore for the donor program Yeah the stove that test.7gph.
Also Preffese this the reason we here more about VC issues is their shear Vollume. The Vermont factory produces 50,000 stoves a year alone then their other factories in Canada and Indiana produce the plate steel line. There are over 2mill VC working stoves in homes. The reason we do not hear a lot about of other stoves, is there sampling is rather meager in comparison. Naturally one hears more VC issues than any other stove manufacturer What we do not hear is the millions of satisfied customers, only the few that experience QC
issues

Elk,
I agree and am all for stoves and thier manufacturers that produce stoves that produce less emissions for polution purposes. I am all for saving the enviorment. But I would think that I personal safety should have the edge on priority before polution issues. In another words, what good is haveing this VC manufactured stove that is a leader in the lowest polution particle numbers when this stove is literally falling aparts at the seems and very well may have burned T's house down and worse case scenario, injured T and his family or caused death to him or them.
Yep, Vc can make a clean burning unit but you take your life and your families and put them in VC's hands because of poor R&D and Quality Control Inspections.
Heck, I would think that the burning down of T's home because of this defective VC Stove with it sub standard welds would definitely produce more polution than an uncountable number of these defective low emission stoves.
I think I would rather have a poluting stove than a house left in ashes or an injury or death to one of my loved ones.
By the way, I definitely wasn't staying at a Holiday Inn Hotel because I can't afford to because of the over 4K I have invested in my defective Jotul Firelight II Stove that sits collecting dust in my rec. room.

John

Part of my appeal to them is I share the patriotism of supporting Americam manufacturing and American Jobs. Imagine if the plant close what that would do the the small towns in VT. It would leave a void in ther economies that would take years to recover from if ther ever did.

If you followed this forum you will see the conflict of people wanting to ban wood smoke from all stoves the Flagship in this arguement it VC .7gph. I fear that if these negative post tear down a good stove manufacturer we all loose. Not one manufacturer had broken the 1 gph barrier before Vc did

So If I may use my influence and go about getting this issue resolved everbody comes out better. The forum also gains as its power and reconition makes it appealing that manufactures are standing up and taking notice. If I can not help push this along then bring in the heavy artillary and fire away. Each time issues can get resolved by forum influence all forum member gain
eventually and I am working on this other manufactures will not want me to be giving them a call or e-mail to get issues taken care of. And I have some influence to do this.

I told you about my wife pouporie spillage well at first I thought it was a warranty issue and got a hold ov VC I was getting
no where till I informed them that went presenting my seminar to all eastern states Inspectors in Albany that I would not present the best view of their products I reminded them I would be rubbing shoulders with the EPA Comsumer protection divisions of tour government including UL. Evidently they made a call to my state which confirmed I was who I said I was and that I was presenting seminars. I can tell you within one week it was sir what can we do for you and I had a new top

Or is gennerous enough to donate stoves to help others? Tell me why there are millions of satisfied customers ,or do you support what little Amnerican manufacturing we have left. VC is comming out of a very precarious financial situation they are fragial and are banking on their flagship of clean burning. I hope they make it ,susceed and force other manufactures to compete towards clean burning . This is a case we all win. Lets see if this can be done expediently

Just got an email from the local rep, says her contact from VC is or was at a trade show, hopefully she'll no more from him later in the week.......... :(

T

Status
Not open for further replies.