Uh oh...what's this?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Same here, I barely if ever use the high side of the blower.
I haven't yet.
JR means waaay slow...speed control on the blower motor...

Same here, I barely if ever use the high side of the blower.

I haven't yet.
JR means waaay slow...speed control on the blower motor...

yeah, the speed control is not even sending 70V to the blower in the middle of a burn with the Kuuma set on minimum burn. Don't know what it will be sending to the motor once I turn the Kuuma up, as I have yet to take it off minimum burn this winter so far. The low limit shuts off the blower when the SC is sending right around 48V to the motor. I DO have a ball bearing motor.

Reactions: woodey
Talked with Dale at Lamppa Mfg. today, he said they have a lightly used "demo" VF100 for sale there right now...if anybody is looking...

Was looking up Tundra II vs Caddy and found this...

IMG_1340.jpg

View attachment 238492
==c
Never know what the future holds, huh?!
If it weren't for the wife being home with the kiddos and me being on call 24/7, the Tundra was doing a satisfactory job, but I wanted to make everything as user friendly as possible so she can handle things if I'm out all night...which happens most often in the worst of the winter weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: Case1030
==c
Never know what the future holds, huh?!
If it weren't for the wife being home with the kiddos and me being on call 24/7, the Tundra was doing a satisfactory job, but I wanted to make everything as user friendly as possible so she can handle things if I'm out all night...which happens most often in the worst of the winter weather.

I'm curious... can you describe what is more user friendly now that you've done the switch. Obviously there was no comparison to the tundra before your temp controller mod/timer. But what is easier than turning a timer and walking away? I guess what comes to mind right off the bat is the ash grate at the front of the kumma, but one day of not cleaning ashes (when your away) isnt going to make it less user friendly.

You mentioned adding more sqft to your house that required a little more firepower... and the kumma VF has a larger firebox to compensate. So that's more about size of furnace...

You've tried both of them out, so your the guy to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodey
I'm curious... can you describe what is more user friendly now that you've done the switch. Obviously there was no comparison to the tundra before your temp controller mod/timer. But what is easier than turning a timer and walking away? I guess what comes to mind right off the bat is the ash grate at the front of the kumma, but one day of not cleaning ashes (when your away) isnt going to make it less user friendly.

You mentioned adding more sqft to your house that required a little more firepower... and the kumma VF has a larger firebox to compensate. So that's more about size of furnace...

I'm curious as well. My guess they are similar, if you have a timer. If you are able to start a fire, load, set the timer and walk away....that's about as good as it gets I'd think.

I'm curious as well. My guess they are similar, if you have a timer. If you are able to start a fire, load, set the timer and walk away....that's about as good as it gets I'd think.

I think bren got kumma fever had to hop on board. :p:)

Last edited:
there's still more room over here on the other side ya know, we don't bite. ;lol

Well yea know it only took bren 3.5 years... maybe I'll join the other side in that short period lmao.

Who knows what can happen in the period of time... especially with the new epa regulations coming up. These manufacturers are going to ether get out of the business or pull up there socks and get with the program... should give customers more of a clean burning market to choose from. Hopefully

Last edited:
Well yea know it only took bren 3.5 years... maybe I'll join the other side in that short period lmao.

Looks like it's a nice balmy -12°F to -15°F by you right now. :eek:

Reactions: brenndatomu
Who know what can happen in the period of time... especially with the new epa regulations coming up. These manufacturers are going to ether get out of the business or pull up there socks and get with the program... should give customers more of a clean burning market to choose from. Hopefully

or big business whines enough and they get their way and they roll back the whole regulation.

If it stays like it is I'd think it will drive the market where it should be going and create competition. Competition is always good for the consumer.

Personally, I think Lamppa should look into doing a speed controlled blower. IMO, this is where they are behind the times a bit.

Looks like it's a nice balmy -12°F to -15°F by you right now. :eek:

Ohh yea its supposed to go down to go below -22f in my area tonight.

Still managed to get a few minutes short of an 11 hour burn today with a load of elm mixed with jackpine. Tonight will be a oak/elm burn.

or big business whines enough and they get their way and they roll back the whole regulation.

If it stays like it is I'd think it will drive the market where it should be going and create competition. Competition is always good for the consumer.

Personally, I think Lamppa should look into doing a speed controlled blower. IMO, this is where they are behind the times a bit.

I agree with the regulations and think it will help the safety and efficiency of all wood burning appliances while help to keep a healthy competitive market.

Ether way the market will have to prepare.

Good question, and not a simple answer honestly!
Its not so much that there is a huge difference in operating a modded Tundra and a Kuuma (as far as user friendliness) but I do really like the computer keeping the fire optimal at all times...and the ability to adjust the rate of burn...and the super clean emissions, the 25 year warranty, and the almost spotless track record, their customer service (SBI is good, but Lamppa is great)
And as you mentioned, the Tundra would have probably struggled with the extra space that we have to heat now, at least when it got good n cold...I would just fire up the fireplace stove as a booster, but I would not want the wife to have to do that if she didn't want to in my absence...I could have bought a Heatpro, but then I think it would have been too much on warmer days...maybe, I dunno.
The other thing is this, I have owned and installed a bunch of different units in the last 8-9 years, and I am getting tired of doing it, have better things to do than change out furnaces every couple years...so I wanted the best chance of the next one, being the last one.
Oh, and at one point I was waiting to see what Yukon come up with for their new EPA certified furnace...they said the old Huskys like mine could be retrofitted with the new firebox...but then they didn't get it done by the time EPA phase one went into effect spring 2017, and these days it seems like they are content to just sell the old models to Canadians...so they kinda fell off my radar...and then I didn't want to take a risk on a new unproven model either...and wanted to do something sooner rather than later too, so no more waiting on them...especially since they have provided NO updates in a long time.

I could have welded up the cracks and just kept the Tundra...and if I had firewood that actually fit in the VF200 I used last winter, I might have just kept that (too small though, BTU wise)...but bottom line is...this is just how things worked out...had I found the right deal on a Max Caddy or Heatpro, I may have went that route...but Lamppa alerted me to this unit, and it wasn't even used a full season...the deal was one that we were able to afford and justify at the time...so here we are...no regrets...

Attachments

• 15477835183556069887712597907815.jpg
    15477835183556069887712597907815.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 149
That's pretty accurate says -19f for Winnipeg

you can zoom in and it will display more temps of more cities/towns. Can also have it display wind chill temps.

I have found it very accurate here as well.

damn, would it sound strange to say I'm almost jealous of the temps you see. What about snow? Do you guys get decent snow up there?

you can zoom in and it will display more temps of more cities/towns.

damn, would it sound strange to say I'm almost jealous of the temps you see. What about snow? Do you guys get decent snow up there?

Ah well my dad is turning 63 this year and he remembers having to call the gravel quarys in to clean the farm yard... my current woodshed/grain bin was 3/4 burried for a couple years. Only a few members know my age but in that time we have gotten decent snow just not what dad has seen in his time... right now we got maybe 1.5 feet of snow usually we have double this time of year.

The main issue on the prairies is snow BLOWS. And it can bury a driveway/yard with a decent snowfall. I'll have to make a post with the big tractor pto snowblower we have now. Boy does that thing kick it out.