Uh oh...what's this?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I originally was looking at replacing our conventional fireplace with an insert of some kind. If the quotes I received would have been about half of what they were, we probably would have gone that route. Back then I didn't even know about wood furnaces and was set on just simply getting something more efficient than what we had. Man, sure glad we didn't go that route. I know for a fact a single point source of heat would not have done a good job in heating our place.

This is the very time time I've cleaned it during a heating season. The previous 4 years I just cleaned it once in fall before I fired it up for the year.

I think my full cost for my insert + Install + Liner + Surround was right around $4,300. Granted, less than what a VF-100 or 200 costs, but there is no comparison in heat output and efficiency. Also, I have bilco-doors to my basement, I would literally just create a rolling crate and toss the wood down the stairs into it to feed the furnace. Wife would have been so happy I wasnt bringing wood into the house... Oh well. Perhaps the next house, or if I win some money on a scratch off one day...

I think my full cost for my insert + Install + Liner + Surround was right around $4,300.

yep, that's what we were hoping the estimates were going to be. They were quoting us $10K!!! A lot of it was because the Heat n Glow EM42 fireplace would have had to have been removed and would of required a bunch of masonry work and deconstructing of our existing hearth to get it out.

Reactions: brenndatomu
yep, that's what we were hoping the estimates were going to be. They were quoting us $10K!!! A lot of it was because the Heat n Glow EM42 fireplace would have had to have been removed and would of required a bunch of masonry work and deconstructing of our existing hearth to get it out.

Ouch. Gladly, mine was purely the liner + vermiculite insulation + install labor + stove cost.

To be clear, if I magically had the money to do the VF100 I'd do it in a heartbeat, although I'd probably change out my current flexible ducts for hard pipe ducts. I know a guy ;)

Got a load of Kuuma chow today...should be done baking by '22 or '23 ;) ::-)
IMG_20190209_164813402.jpg IMG_20190209_164846742.jpg

I too went out and added to my winter pile, which will be getting split/stacked in March/April. Thinking so far I have between 5-7 cord once again. Always seem to cut/haul more than I burn. Won't be burned for a long time though....thinking 2029ish. ;lol I may end up selling some though if LP prices ever go nuts.

yikes...just peaked at my wood supply spreadsheet; after removing what I burned this year so far, I'm still at 51+ cord of hardwoods and 3 cord of pine/poplar. I'll probably be right around the 60 cord total mark once I get this years haul split/stacked. _g

upload_2019-2-9_22-4-5.png

yikes...just peaked at my wood supply spreadsheet; after removing what I burned this year so far, I'm still at 51+ cord of hardwoods and 3 cord of pine/poplar. I'll probably be right around the 60 cord total mark once I get this years haul split/stacked. _g

View attachment 240522
e8cc2a3e014fae0bcc2af&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fXhoYEgu3nAZQ4%2fgiphy.gif

View attachment 240522

Trying to get a mental image of where you store all this wood? 55 cords is alot of space.

Trying to get a mental image of where you store all this wood? 55 cords is alot of space.
Meh...it only covers 1760 sq ft in wood 4' deep...;)
That's only 1/25th of an acre...
:oops: :eek: !!!

Reactions: Case1030

This is a couple years ago. There's a bit more out there now. Turn up the volume if you want to hear the aviary....;lol I believe the loud one is a sandhill crane.

Meh...it only covers 1760 sq ft in wood 4' deep...;)
That's only 1/25th of an acre...
:oops: :eek: !!!

I stack about 5'-9" tall on top of pallets, so the tops of the stacks are about eye height to me. I'm 6'5". They do lose their height as time passes and as they season.

This is what that same area looked like at the end of April 2014. Pretty much the same time I ordered the Kuuma.

I had ~10-15 cord in another area which is what I burned first while I built up my reserves here.

IMG_9988.JPG IMG_9990.JPG

This is a couple years ago. There's a bit more out there now. Turn up the volume if you want to hear the aviary....;lol I believe the loud one is a sandhill crane.

Ohh that's a pretty good setup you got there.

I'm gonna have to get my ass in gear. Soon as we get some decent weather will have to nail down a few cords of oak. ( -20f to much time to drink beer by the fire)... been in a deep freeze since the polar vortex.

It sure would be nice to have a 5 year wood supply like yourself.

Last edited:
so the tops of the stacks are about eye height to me. I'm 6'5"
Ah, a fellow member of the tall guys club, eh? 6' 4" here.
And it might be just me, but I've noticed that it seems there are a disproportionate amount of tall guys do the wood heat thing...

Reactions: JRHAWK9
And all these years I was thinking that Paul Bunyan was a fictional character.

Well, my first name is Paul and my last name also has six characters and shares three of them in common and in the correct position. Last name is XunXXn (X's are placeholders of the letters not in common and two out of the three are also vowels). ;lol Thanks for pointing that out though, as I never made the connection. :eek:

And it might be just me, but I've noticed that it seems there are a disproportionate amount of tall guys do the wood heat thing...

Bare foot I'm probably closer to 6'4". Heck, I'm getting to the age where I may start shrinking. ;lol Gives us a mechanical advantage when splitting bigger rounds in halve. ;)

It sure would be nice to have a 5 year wood supply like yourself.

5 year !!! Do you really burn over 2x's what I burn? I average 16,170 lbs per heating season. Using 3,650lbs per cord of red oak, this comes out to ~4.4 cords of red oak per heating season.

Well, my first name is Paul and my last name also has six characters and shares three of them in common and in the correct position. Last name is XunXXn (X's are placeholders of the letters not in common and two out of the three are also vowels). ;lol Thanks for pointing that out though, as I never made the connection. :eek:

Bare foot I'm probably closer to 6'4". Heck, I'm getting to the age where I may start shrinking. ;lol Gives us a mechanical advantage when splitting bigger rounds in halve. ;)

5 year !!! Do you really burn over 2x's what I burn? I average 16,170 lbs per heating season. Using 3,650lbs per cord of red oak, this comes out to ~4.4 cords of red oak per heating season.

Lol sorry for the misunderstanding... I'm around the 4-5 cord mark myself but I have customers who buy a couple cords off me every year.

So I need to css 10 cords every year. I do have a 2 year rotation but only seem to get ahead 1 cord per year.

If I that much wood C/S/S I'd never C/S/S another piece of wood in my life. With the amount of wood I burn, that would take me to roughly age 70. Hopefully by then I'll be wintering in a state that isn't Ohio. ::-)

Edit: That is pretty awesome @JRHAWK9.

Got a load of Kuuma chow today...should be done baking by '22 or '23 ;) ::-)
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person in the world that has a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed on it. Everyday going to work I see folks driving their 60k Cowboy Cadillac's with those little 4 foot beds on them.

That conversation is probably another topic for another thread for another day.

Last edited:

Well I am a proud card holding member of the short guy aka the “Napoleon syndrome club”!

5’ 5.5” (yes, that 1/2” counts)

While we are not out of the woods yet, I think we will go through 4-5 cords.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person in the world that has a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed on it. Everyday going to work I see folks driving their 60k Cowboy Cadillac's with those little 4 foot beds on them.

That conversation is probably another topic for another thread for another day.

8ft box would be nice. I manage to make a 6ft work though. Got 1 ton suspension with overloads. I push the limit... knock on wood haven't broken anything yet.

Snapchat-38628461.jpg

Snapchat-373507724.jpg

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person in the world that has a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed on it.
To be honest I was kinda looking for a short bed...but was also a bit torn as the extra room in the long bed is nice too. When this truck came along, the deal was right, so my choice was made for me. ::-)

Last edited:
To be honest I was kinda looking for a short bed...but was also a bit torn as the extra room in the long bed is nice too. When this truck came along, the deal was right, so my choice was made for me. ::-)

On the big fords the "short bed" is 7 feet long so it's not really that short. Look at the bright side, you got a much larger fuel tank.