Used Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good on the outside. You need to check the condition of the cat and bypass door on the inside to determine how well it was cared for and whether it was used properly. The cat should not be broken up, and should not be filled up with soot. The bypass door should have a good seal and be straight with good smooth movement in the mechanism. There is a piece of steel that goes across the middle of the bypass, many times that will warp, but not affect the use of the stove, so don't let that bother you too much, in fact if it is straight, then you will know it was not burned too hard. There should be a flame guard in front of the cat, right above the door on the inside. That is an ultra, so there should be a working fan.

If the insides look as good as the outside, then not a terrible price, although I would start the negotiations with a lower offer. If the cat is known to be bad, or even suspect it will need replaced, then I would subtract that from the price at a minimum. If any of the bypass mechanism needs work, then more needs to be subtracted from the price. I would be checking to see what a new BK Ultra would cost first in your area, may not be that much more to get a brand new stove with warrenty.

I would not be wasting any time in checking it out, as used BK stoves are hard to find, at least in my area, and you have just advertised it more for him.

Reactions: jeff_t
Edit doesn't seem to work for me.

I should have mentioned that there is always a risk that the cat does not work even though it looks ok,, so you really need to factor in or understand that you may have to replace it. By asking the owner what they burned in the stove will give you an idea as to how it was treated. If they burned only good dry wood, then it is most likely the cat is good. If they burned anything they could fit through the door, then it could have been mistreated, and would immediately subtract the cost of a cat replacement off the price.

Go check out the stove, get it bought at the right price, and report back.

Reactions: jeff_t
Don't sweat the cat too much. It is easily replacable, relatively cheap, and if you do need a new one then you get a new one and can enjoy the fresh cat.

I would spend much more time worrying about things that are hard to fix like bent, broken, or warped hard parts. Not many parts on this stove are removable without cutting a weld. The bypass area is indeed the place to look for failed parts. Look from inside the firebox. Shut the bypass and feel around the seal with your fingers and visually looking for a good seal or sagged parts.

The thermostat is another good spot to investigate. Ask the old owner how it works, this is your way of asking how HE used it. Then rotate the stat from high to low and listen for the clank of the stat closing at about 1.25 mark on the dial. This will tell you that it is functional and probably prevented damage to the stove.

1700 is high depending on the price of new in your area. We are approaching burning season and used stoves will be in short supply soon. Do not pay more than half of the new stove price for a stove in great shape.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for your help guys. I have contacted the seller with the questions you had and hopefully it all works out. I will keep you posted.

Hey guys, I contacted the seller and he sent me a couple photos of the cat. What do you think? Look like it is in good condition. He says the unit was only used for half the winters and has no fractures in the welds. No warping either.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am thinking of offering around $1300-$1500.

Thanks for your help :)

DSC00781.JPGDSC00783.JPG

Look the offer. you have a good starting point.

Is that a steel cat?

Seems to be a steel cat. Certainly does not look like the current model ceramic cat. Hard to tell but it may have some junk on it.

The stove looks good Thewiz, it looks properly "cold burnt" with no signs of overfire in those photos. Price is fair, may need some paint is all.

Hard to tell about the cat via photos, but what we can see looks ok. . Sounds like you are on target for negotiating. Good luck, but get there before someone else buys it out from under you.

Status
Not open for further replies.