used Woodstock Fireview 205

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
We may be looking at a used Woodstock Fireview 205 tomorrow. I've read the reviews and every single one is positive.

The owner bought it with her house about 3 years ago so she doesn't know the age. According to the Woodstock site they started shipping these in 1996 so it can't be more than 11 years old.

I'm thinking even if it's in good condition we may still need to replace the cat which would cost about $125.00.

But my question is whether there are any particular problems to look for in this model and if anyone has a general idea of what it might be worth used.

Thanks,
~Cath

The manufacture date is stamped on the label on the back of the stove. If it were me and the stove was not too old and in good shape I'd be willing to pay $1k, give or take a couple hundred. Good luck.

Oh, and some things to check out besides the cat is the bypass damper for warpage or any signs of overfire like cracked stones or white colored cast iron.

Hi Cath,
You did the right thing by checking the ratings board, impressive to have all straight #1's.
They apparently they make fine product and a fully stand behind it, (I hope I am not being biased!!! Ohpps, there goes my commission!!!).
I believe these stoves are in the neighborhood of $2,300.00 to $2,400.00 new. You can check their prices by going to their website.
Is there any cracks in the soapstone on the stove?
John

Todd's advice is very good. Those stoves are built in such a way that, need be, you can fairly easily replace most any part as long as the stove and frame hasn't been abused. Used repectfully, that stove will last a life time. Before you automatically replace the cat, clean it out, light a fire and try it. If it no smoke comes out five minutes or so after engaging it with stove top temps of 250 or higher, then you should be fine. Great stove. In good shape, if you can get it for a grand, you've got a great bargain!

Hi Cath,
You got some really good advice from the above posters/owners,(all except for me as an owner. I was told that I really want one, but didn't get one. I bought a Jotul. Maybee if I put my Jotul under my pillow tonight, the Woodstock Stove Fairy will leave one under my pillow). Just kiddin, this is an inside joke that only very special individual would understand, Maybee)!
If you can and the stove checks out satisfactory, over a lower price than 1K. Who knows you might even get a really great stove, made by a fantastic company for even less money than you planned to offer.(Opps, their goes my commsion again, this is getting quite profitable).
Good luck, and enjoy your new stove if the deal is completed!
John

jpl1nh said:
Todd's advice is very good. Those stoves are built in such a way that, need be, you can fairly easily replace most any part as long as the stove and frame hasn't been abused. Used repectfully, that stove will last a life time. Before you automatically replace the cat, clean it out, light a fire and try it. If it no smoke comes out five minutes or so after engaging it with stove top temps of 250 or higher, then you should be fine. Great stove. In good shape, if you can get it for a grand, you've got a great bargain!

Correct on replacing parts. I'd call Woodstock and ask if you can purchase an owner's manual for the Fireview. In the manual is a diagram with all the parts listed and easily shows in such a way that you could even take the stove apart yourself, replace anything that needs it and then put it back together. I'd bet the folks at Woodstock might even give you some advice if you asked for it.

IMO, $1000 would be a steal on a used Fireview.

Assuming parts are good: you are going to be one happy Cath!!! Oh Yeah, bring strong people and a good moving dolley. An appliance dolley with good nylon straps for binding the stove to the cart will help a lot.

Hey Cath, how did the stove look? Did you make an offer?

Backwoods Savage said:
jpl1nh said:

Correct on replacing parts. I'd call Woodstock and ask if you can purchase an owner's manual for the Fireview. In the manual is a diagram with all the parts listed and easily shows in such a way that you could even take the stove apart yourself, replace anything that needs it and then put it back together. I'd bet the folks at Woodstock might even give you some advice if you asked for it.

IMO, $1000 would be a steal on a used Fireview.
You can just download a fireview manual in PDF format ffrom their website. :)

Todd said:
Hey Cath, how did the stove look? Did you make an offer?

Todd,
Thanks for asking .

Unfortunately the used Fireview turned out to be a big disappointment. Craig went to see it with my brother and he reported the following.

It wasn't the newer 205 model the seller told me it was (I did ask) but rather the older, smaller 201. It had a lot of surface rust; worse yet, it showed obvious signs of overfiring.

Craig described a very large hole in the metal plate under the soapstone on top. Even assuming that replacement part is still available in the 201 there is no way of knowing if any other parts are warped and if so, how badly.

I have to hope if anyone does buy it that they anticipate a near total re-build and they negotiate accordingly.

I'm just glad I familiarized myself with the newer model so Craig could tell it was the old one. But in any case the condition ruled it out for us regardless.
~Cath

Cath, its too bad that stove was now what you were expecting. Maybe you need to really look at the new ones. I understand there is a big sale on right now. Seems like we bought ours towards the end of February last year when they had a big sale on then. Get it now, install it this summer and enjoy it next winter. Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cath, its too bad that stove was now what you were expecting. Maybe you need to really look at the new ones. I understand there is a big sale on right now. Seems like we bought ours towards the end of February last year when they had a big sale on then. Get it now, install it this summer and enjoy it next winter. Good luck.

I beleive the sale is $500.00 off the Fireview and I think it is around a $100.00 for shipping,(depending on your location). Plus you have until Dec. 2008 to use the stove risk free, and if your not satisfied with it, Woodstock will buy it back including return shipping charges.
How can you beat that? Show me any other company out there that can even come close to this offer of a buy back. Heck, when I was born, my mother didn't even get this kind of guarantee.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.