Vermont Castings Aspen C3 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That guy that had the wood, had a pond too. My girls lucked out. In between me running loads of wood to the house my oldest asked me if we could go fishing at the city lake today. I told her I might have a spot, but she had to go ask for permission. The owner of the land that had the tree is 93 years old. Next time she is going to take some honey from the bees.

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
The pine I cut February 22, in post 84 was a healthy, live tree. July 4th, post 95, I got it stacked under my shed.

Yesterday I carried some up to the porch just to start moving things that way. I checked the moisture on a fresh split off the top of the pile. I’ll recheck as I get deeper in the stack, but…

First stab was 11.8 %. I wiggled the meter prongs in as deep as I could get them and got 13%MC. That metal carport is like an easy bake oven I tell you.

All the hardwood I’ll be burning this year will be 1.5-2-5 years old, and the pine will be just under a year.

The pine was put on the tops of existing stacks, and the two exterior stacks that got the most sun and air exposure.

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

Sounds like you're ready for fire! :ZZZ

Reactions: 30WCF
Pine is fine fast firewood for the mild winters of NC

Cleaned the chimney from last year.
This is what landed in my bag. Maybe a couple handfuls. I’d say right at a cup.

IMG_0487.jpeg

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
Cleaned the chimney from last year.
This is what landed in my bag. Maybe a couple handfuls. I’d say right at a cup.

View attachment 315842

Hopefully it looks more like graphite color then black.. That doesn't seem lik alot so good for you. I slide the prob back in my stove and kinda make a tinfoil cup. I may try the plastic bag trick

Hopefully it looks more like graphite color then black.. That doesn't seem lik alot so good for you. I slide the prob back in my stove and kinda make a tinfoil cup. I may try the plastic bag trick
Check out post 12 for pictures. You can be as rough as you want and run the sooteater all the way down till it hits a hard stop and not tear anything up.

I’ve been burning fairly consistently the last week or so. It’s been cool enough to look for an excuse to burn, but not necessary.
Getting decent burn times and soot that just wipes of the glass.

IMG_1631.jpeg

I’ve been burning fairly consistently the last week or so. It’s been cool enough to look for an excuse to burn, but not necessary.
Getting decent burn times and soot that just wipes of the glass.

View attachment 318719

not much in the way of cool weather farther south.. around Thanksgiving should have a good cool down

Cooled down nicely last night and should be chilly tonight too. Had the windows open this afternoon as it warmed up, but it’s dipping back down now that the sun is low.
IMG_1720.jpeg

View attachment 319008IMG_1726.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd
Cooled down nicely last night and should be chilly tonight too. Had the windows open this afternoon as it warmed up, but it’s dipping back down now that the sun is low.
View attachment 319006

View attachment 319007

Stove looks great.. the floor plan is awesome also.. looks like the heat just flows from room to room.. tree looks good.. we may have ours done at the end of next weekend

Thanks.
The air moves pretty good. The kitchen is opened up just left of the table there.

That’s the harvest tree. It’s been up a month or so. We will probably strip it and redecorate it for Christmas next week.

…the floor plan is awesome also.. looks like the heat just flows from room to room…
It’s a little funny that, with an HVAC you don’t think about floor plans the same way. If you heat with wood, you say, that’s a great layout for stagnant air to drift a bit. lol.

Reactions: EbS-P
Flue is close to 600 and secondaries are rolling. I didn’t mean to get that warm as it only getting down to 40 tonight, but 1 split of pine and 1 split of hickory got it toasty. Even in the time I’m posting this, it peaked and is dropping down some. I can hear the slower ticking of the stove cooling down so, it’s settling , but I expect it will still be warm in the AM.

IMG_1830.jpeg

Nope. 100 degrees this morning. Probably should have tossed some oak in there too.

Maybe I’ll climb up and take a look down the chimney. Looks like a have a couple days until I can do an evening or morning fire.
IMG_1922.jpeg

Maybe I’ll climb up and take a look down the chimney. Looks like a have a couple days until I can do an evening or morning fire.
View attachment 319945
It was 71 here today. Had a fire this morning. I decided to sweep every other year.

It was 71 here today. Had a fire this morning. I decided to sweep every other year.
I spent the week working at the office in Wallace. It was cold the first part of the week, but warmed up yesterday and today.

Reactions: EbS-P
Since the older thread about temperature of C3 is closed, I decided to ask here.

I feel like the difference between the flue temp and STT is bit high in my case, when STT is about 600, the probe shows 900 and the needle is in the red zone. Is this normal? After peaking for about 30-40 minutes the temp difference goes down but still 100-150 F is what I observe

When I read posts with 700 STT, I feel it's like 1000+ in my case which is a little bit high😊

IMG-69831.jpg

Sounds like that probe isn’t reliable I’m usually the opposite of what you are describing. My STT is usually hotter than what my Auber reads about 24” above the stove. It’s 24” because I added a key damper section after the Auber and imperial probes were already installed.
I can run 700-800 STT and the flue gasses are probably in the mid 600s.

I’m sure we can look back through here and see some comparisons I posted in real time with the Auber checking the gasses and IR on the STT.

I actually wouldn’t rely on either of those thermometers pictured. I’ve had both. I was always adjusting them. Each new record high would temper the springs it seems and then they would be off again. They are usually only accurate in a specific range too. You may need to adjust it to be accurate at cruising temperatures and just let it be off when burning a cooler fire.
That’s not being snobby either. You can’t compare a disposable $5-$15 Chinese thermometer to even cheap digital instruments.

Last edited:
Reactions: student2016
Sounds like that probe isn’t reliable I’m usually the opposite of what you are describing. My STT is usually hotter than what my Auber reads about 24” above the stove. It’s 24” because I added a key damper section after the Auber and imperial probes were already installed.
I can run 700-800 STT and the flue gasses are probably in the mid 600s.
Mine is installed 18'' above the stove.

I actually wouldn’t rely on either of those thermometers pictured. I’ve had both. I was always adjusting them. Each new record high would temper the springs it seems and then they would be off again. They are usually only accurate in a specific range too. You may need to adjust it to be accurate at cruising temperatures and just let it be off when burning a cooler fire.
That’s not being snobby either. You can’t compare a disposable $5-$15 Chinese thermometer to even cheap digital instruments.
How to adjust it? Is it some kind of calibration?