Vermont Castings Aspen C3 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Posts 72, 82, and 86 are good examples of the stove ripping and the stack is cooler.

Mine is installed 18'' above the stove.

How to adjust it? Is it some kind of calibration?
I’m comparing the pipe probe to the Auber probe. Most magnetic probes have a jam but you can loosen and spin the face. It’s a pain because you have to do it fast, while it’s at temp, tighten it back up and put it back in the pipe. Then let it return to temp and see if you hit the mark. It may take many tries to get it to settle in at the same place the digital is when it’s cruising.

Mine is installed 18'' above the stove.

How to adjust it? Is it some kind of calibration?

The inferno bimetal thermometer is kinda accurate

20231202_071053.jpg

Reactions: student2016
Cleaned the chimney today. Just fluffy dust.
Took about 30 minutes cleaning from the top and trying to get clear pictures.

Before

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

Reactions: Todd
Thank you, now it makes sense. Looks like I have to purchase an Auber AT200 to feel more confident.
Does it come with a probe?

Does it come with a probe?
Yep.

Yep.

I like mine. I have both wired and wireless unit. It makes learning a new stove much more fun. I haven’t plugged them in yet this year. But I miss them.

Just been catching up with this thread since last winter, as only in the last week as it started getting cold enough here to make a fire worthwhile. To answer questions from a year ago, yeah it's been a lot better after getting the bricks set up properly. Still takes a while to get going from cold, I think because my chimney is fairly short and I don't have any good intermediate wood between the hardware store kindling and big oak splits. I've been starting to experiment with the North Idaho Energy Logs too.

But looking forward to more fire fun this winter, and don't regret getting this stove at all - once it's up and running it keeps the house warm wonderfully.

Reactions: Todd and 30WCF
I actually wouldn’t rely on either of those thermometers pictured. I’ve had both. I was always adjusting them. Each new record high would temper the springs it seems and then they would be off again. They are usually only accurate in a specific range too. You may need to adjust it to be accurate at cruising temperatures and just let it be off when burning a cooler fire.
That’s not being snobby either. You can’t compare a disposable $5-$15 Chinese thermometer to even cheap digital instruments.
Got an IR thermometer, checked STT and got an error about +100 F. Thanks for clarifying.

Got an IR thermometer, checked STT and got an error about +100 F. Thanks for clarifying.
Did you have single or double wall pipe?
I bet that probe is off too, but there is no real way to tell other than to have several to try out and average or use a digital probe. You could probably use a digital grill probe to test and dial in or calibrate your spring probe.
If you are gonna stay at this, that Auber you ordered is gonna be a game changer.

image.jpg

I’ve calibrated the dial in the front to match the Auber in the back since I already have a 1/4” hole in the front.
I might be wrong here, but if you have single wall, I think you can IR the surface of the single wall pipe at 18” up and it supposed to be in the neighborhood of half the internal temperature.

Did you have single or double wall pipe?
I bet that probe is off too, but there is no real way to tell other than to have several to try out and average or use a digital probe. You could probably use a digital grill probe to test and dial in or calibrate your spring probe.
If you are gonna stay at this, that Auber you ordered is gonna be a game changer.

View attachment 320096

I’ve calibrated the dial in the front to match the Auber in the back since I already have a 1/4” hole in the front.
I might be wrong here, but if you have single wall, I think you can IR the surface of the single wall pipe at 18” up and it supposed to be in the neighborhood of half the internal temperature.
I have a double wall pipe. I came across an old post saying it's roughly 2x higher inside the pipe vs a pipe surface (double wall). Not sure if it's the case for this stove since the pipe is getting a lot of heat from the stove itself.

If you have a double pipe, what is the ratio between the flue temperature and the pipe surface temperature?

I can check that next time. It was 70 today. It’s 6:57PM here on the East coast and it’s still 62 outside right now. The AC has been on all day since 70 here can be pretty humid.

I can check that next time. It was 70 today. It’s 6:57PM here on the East coast and it’s still 62 outside right now. The AC has been on all day since 70 here can be pretty humid.
Lol.. I didn’t flip the AC on but the dehumidifier has been running. I almost did though last night after cooking pizza in the oven. It wouldn’t be the first time wood stove to AC for me.

Reactions: 30WCF
If you have a double pipe, what is the ratio between the flue temperature and the pipe surface temperature?
Outdoor temp is 47 but headed to 36 for the low. Mild little fire hovering around 350.

159 outside the pipe, 362 inside the pipe.

Edit: checked again later on. 177 and 403.

IMG_1980.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

Last edited:
Outdoor temp is 47 but headed to 36 for the low. Mild little fire hovering around 350.

159 outside the pipe, 362 inside the pipe.

Edit: checked again later on. 177 and 403.

View attachment 320155

View attachment 320154
appreciate it. I was wrong saying that ST thermometer showed incorrect values. When I placed it on the mid line of the top plate, it showed much higher STT matching the IR device. Now STT roughly matches the probe.

Center of my cook plate is hottest. Its just about where the baffle stops, and when the flames are rolling, they wrap around the baffle reaching for the exit and ride the top plate right there.

No stove temps as I don't know where our IR thermometer went, but it's rocking as we get into frosty nights here (but we barely get below freezing at worst here). I bought 20 North Idaho Energy Logs at the hardware store (as 20 is where the discounts start), and cutting disks off them are effective starters, but they do get sawdust everywhere.

But just wanted to share some happiness.

PXL_20231209_032333480.jpg

Well, we are gonna have to check back in tomorrow, but this is the start of some deer shanks. A tad to warm to really want a fire, but I had some fresh shanks that either needed cooking or the freezer.

Started a top down just as I began to prepare the shanks. Starting to smell good in here. I just have to keep it warm all nite and let that collagen melt down.

IMG_2081.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

Fed it at some point last nite, then again just now I tossed on a single large oak split.

Bones starting to show through.

IMG_2089.jpeg

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
Temps taking a deep dive tomorrow. Maybe I can get some more stats posted rather than potato soup and shanks.