"Watch This!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splions

Jul 19, 2008
Western R.I.
In my ongoing quest for free firewood, I got an email from a golf course that was getting rid of logs. These logs were all BIG logs. I stopped by and had a guy load one in the back of my truck with a front end loader. I would estimate it weighed 600 lbs.

Yes...it is about 5' in length.

After he got it in, I started to wonder...HOW WAS I GOING TO GET IT OUT! I crafted a plan in my head the rest of the afternoon. When I got home, my son and I would take the tailgate off and slide the log out and cut off sections at a time. This would be accomplished by my son and I pulling on the log with a fastened rope. Plan implemented, rope attached, commenced pulling, log would not move!

The log loader had mentioned something about "gravity could be your friend". Plan #2: back truck down driveway and stop short! My driveway gets steeper as you go down it. First try, log moved about three inches! Second try, 12 inches! Third try...log shot out of the bed of my truck and flipped over onto my driveway! NO DAMAGE to the truck occurred!
004.JPG
007.JPG

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Sometimes there is a first and a last time for everything! No more logs like this in truck ever again :-D

Wow... Is that a big oak log? How are you going to get the rest of it home? Maybe the guy would deliver the rest of the logs? Never know without asking....

This was one of the smaller ones...they will not deliver. I am one and done ==c

Would they allow you to saw it into appropriate lengths and maybe half or quarter them there? That would make it much more manageable for you

Should have just cut it into lengths right in the truck bed. ;lol;lol
What's the worse that could happen? :rolleyes:

Nice score there.

You should see if you could cut it up there to make it a little more manageable. Nice log, or this gives you a reason to buy a tractor just a thought.

I thought so been looking into getting some form of equipment. A tractor would always help especially in this case, they are stronger and never get tired.

I said the same thing you did in post #4. Great minds, brother :)

It's the only way to move large stuff like that. If you keep dragging it out of the bed of the truck it's just a matter of time till you smash or dent part of the bumper or tailgate, trust me I know I've done it many times being to aggressive with a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.