Weekend Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Rented a 50' manlift Saturday to take down this dead ash. It is being transferred slowly to my seasoning shed. Shed should hold 8 cords ( 20' w x 8' deep x 8' tall). 2/3 of the way there.

Attachments

• DSC04635.JPG
    DSC04635.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,442
  • DSC04649.JPG
    DSC04649.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,400
  • DSC04658.JPG
    DSC04658.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,408
  • DSC04663.JPG
    DSC04663.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,541
How much was the rental and what did it look like?

The lift cost me $250 plus tax and $25.00 damage waiver = $291.00. Here is a better pic of the lift. It was an experience that I found highly stressful, as I really don't like heights.

Attachments

• DSC04654-2.JPG
    DSC04654-2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,217
Now that looks like a fun weekend project. By chance did you have a tree service quote you to take the tree down? That rental charge seems stiff.....even with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Nice work, nonetheless....

jlow said:
The lift cost me $250 plus tax and $25.00 damage waiver = $291.00. Here is a better pic of the lift. It was an experience that I found highly stressful, as I really don't like heights.

Kind of ironic since you live in the Heights. :)

I always wondered what they charged for those, thanks for posting that. Nice job on the ash and the shed looks good as well!

I was quoted between $1200- $1500 and no one could guarantee no fence damage. So I figured I can damage the fence and still save at least a grand. It was interesting to do but I think it is my last.

Well done. It would be nice to save a grand every weekend.

That actually looks like a fun project to me. I'll bet you're glad that tree is out of there huh.

My wife has been nagging me for a year to get it out of there. The wood is pretty dry and being my first summer of seasoning wood, I am optimistic about better wood stove performance. Alot of my scrounged wood hissed. I am downing the remaining 10' this weekend and will make a table out of the stump. I will post pics when completed.

jlow said:
My wife has been nagging me for a year to get it out of there. The wood is pretty dry and being my first summer of seasoning wood, I am optimistic about better wood stove performance. Alot of my scrounged wood hissed. I am downing the remaining 10' this weekend and will make a table out of the stump. I will post pics when completed.

I really like the shed. If you have more pics of that... that would be great!

Woodsman,

Here are more pics of shed!!!

Attachments

• DSC04597.JPG
    DSC04597.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • DSC04601.JPG
    DSC04601.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSC04596.JPG
    DSC04596.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,060
nice shed!

question for you. the splits on the outer row are exposed to the wind sun etc etc. how do the interior splits work out on the inside? Is there a dramatic difference?

From lessons learned in this forum, I located it where it will get the most sun. The back gets the morning sun and the evening sun gets the front. It is an area where the wind is most available. From what I understand it is heat and wind that seasons the wood the best. I stacked the wood loose and left about 3 inches between rows for some air flow. It is my first summer of seasoning wood so I will know better in the fall how it all works out. The rack is built in such a manner that I can relocate it if necessary.

jlow said:
From lessons learned in this forum, I located it where it will get the most sun. The back gets the morning sun and the evening sun gets the front. It is an area where the wind is most available. From what I understand it is heat and wind that seasons the wood the best. I stacked the wood loose and left about 3 inches between rows for some air flow. It is my first summer of seasoning wood so I will know better in the fall how it all works out. The rack is built in such a manner that I can relocate it if necessary.

So this is free standing? NICE! That is a design I want to start emulating... like this weekend.

jlow said:
Woodsman,

Here are more pics of shed!!!

Beauty shed. Super job. Well thought out. Suuper pics, too. Thanks!

Nice shed.
I motion for the shed photo to go on the pages with all the other nice pics.
Thats the perfect shed....good airflow....not too much cost...and purdy as hell. Wonderful job

I really, really, really like this shed. I think if you made plans available, we'd all purchase them. Do you know how much it cost to build? What is your roof material? Thanks for sharing... Woodsman

Thanks for the kind remarks. The pallets were free and the wood was treated and cost me about $250.

My shed cost me $1000 including metal roof and concrete slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.