Weird Stove Situation; Suggestions Welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This furnace must be connected to a chimney certified for use with wood burning heating appliances. A 7-inch chimney and connector must be installed for the Max Caddy if it is used as a wood-oil unit, a wood-electrical-oil unit or if an oil option may be installed in the future. If the furnace is to be used as a wood only unit or a wood-electric, then a 6-inch chimney is recommended. The unit is not to be connected to a chimney flue serving another appliance. If the chimney draft exceeds 0.06 IN.W.C., a barometric draft control should be installed on the smoke pipe. Never install a manual damper. The barometric control must be adjusted so that the maximum draft measured at the furnace outlet does not exceed -0.06 IN.W.C. Please note that a draft exceeding 0.06 IN.W.C. could produce an uncontrollable fire. On the other hand, the minimum draft required is 0.04 IN.W.C. in the evacuation pipe on the wood side, no matter what type of furnace (WOOD, WOOD/ELECTRIC OR WOOD/OIL). The adjustment should in no case be modified to increase combustion.
And was your bd installed on a max caddy? Or on a stove?

And was your bd installed on a max caddy? Or on a stove?
It was stoves. Yeah,I do share that should not be installed but i did have a good experience with it, and everything was to see, experimenting and for a short period of time. possibly a week, two week. dont remember exactly.

It was stoves. Yeah,I do share that should not be installed but i did have a good experience with it, and everything was to see, experimenting and for a short period of time. possibly a week, two week. dont remember exactly.
Why not just use a pipe damper which is perfectly safe?

So when hog said a baro should not be installed on a stove and you told him he should be more educated what was that? He clearly said stove not furnace.

Why not just use a pipe damper which is perfectly safe?
I did have one on the stove top adapter.That one was not closing right, then i put one higher in pipe and eliminated the one at the adapter and still with it completely closed still too much draft. then i tried the baro. best control ever over the draft. then i know i shouldn't use it and anyway i start thinking non replace the stoves. anyway i didnt like how it works aside that the baro did a good job.

I did have one on the stove top adapter.That one was not closing right, then i put one higher in pipe and eliminated the one at the adapter and still with it completely closed still too much draft. then i tried the baro. best control ever over the draft. then i know i shouldn't use it and anyway i start thinking non replace the stoves. anyway i didnt like how it works aside that the baro did a good job.
What was your draft? On some tall chimneys 2 dampers are needed to get within draft spec. And the damper should never be that close to the stove

So when hog said a baro should not be installed on a stove and you told him he should be more educated what was that? He clearly said stove not furnace.
the saying is on a solid fuel appliance. and i will find for sure manuals that mentioned that cause i know what i am talking about. That furnace can be use with wood only and it has to be install on a wood certified chimney. What exactly is the chimney we use?

What was your draft? On some tall chimneys 2 dampers are needed to get within draft spec. And the damper should never be that close to the stove
I am over that i dont have any problem now that was years ago.

I am over that i dont have any problem now that was years ago.
But you are still giving faulty advice based on something you did that was totally unsafe and should have been addressed differently.

the saying is on a solid fuel appliance. and i will find for sure manuals that mentioned that cause i know what i am talking about. That furnace can be use with wood only and it has to be install on a wood certified chimney. What exactly is the chimney we use?
Nope he said stove. Not solid fuel appliance. Tons of solid fuel appliances need baro dampers. But not wood stoves

Nope he said stove. Not solid fuel appliance. Tons of solid fuel appliances need baro dampers. But not wood stoves
What separate wood stoves from solid fuel appliance? THAT IS NOT WHAT A WOOD STOVE IS CALLED?

What separate wood stoves from solid fuel appliance? THAT IS NOT WHAT A WOOD STOVE IS CALLED?
Yes a wood stove is a solid fuel appliance. But not all solid fuel appliances are wood stoves. That term covers wood stoves wood furnaces wood boilers coal stoves coal furnaces and boilers pellet appliances peat burners corn burners etc.

A stove and a furnace are not the same thing.

If you find a STOVE manual reference for installing using a barometric damper (which I have never seen, but maybe there is one out there somewhere), you should post that. Otherwise you are not supporting your cause.

And with that the thread is done. Please start another thread if you have more questions huckleberry

Status
Not open for further replies.