Well.... no tee clean out cap on SS Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shuabills

Oct 23, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Hello, I am new to wood burners and this site but hopefully someone can give me some advice.

My problem,

So i recently had to reinstall a SS liner down my unlined interior chimney for a wood burning stove. I insulated the liner and added a SS Tee with clean out

but my friend who was helping me told me after we were done that the clean out cap was useless and left it off the tee .

I at first agreed but after reading around the site, that appears to have been incorrect (I think).

Anyone have any great ideas on how to attach the clean out cap without pulling out the liner for a 2nd time?

I have a little bit of access in the basement via an old thimble hole but the tee is about 8 feet higher up the chimney.

Note: My house is super tall and the roof is super steep. I had to rent a 55' lift to do the job.

Hello, I am new to wood burners and this site but hopefully someone can give me some advice.

My problem,

So i recently had to reinstall a SS liner down my unlined interior chimney for a wood burning stove. I insulated the liner and added a SS Tee with clean out

but my friend who was helping me told me after we were done that the clean out cap was useless and left it off the tee .

I at first agreed but after reading around the site, that appears to have been incorrect (I think).

Anyone have any great ideas on how to attach the clean out cap without pulling out the liner for a 2nd time?

I have a little bit of access in the basement via an old thimble hole but the tee is about 8 feet higher up the chimney.

Note: My house is super tall and the roof is super steep. I had to rent a 55' lift to do the job.
No way I know of I always extend them down. And yes the bottom of the liner needs to be sealed

Thanks for the verification.

I think I just thought of a way, however I may never be able to remove the clean out cap after this.

My possible solution:

1. attach eye hook to inside center of cap
2. drop steel cable down the tee via the ss snout to the basement
3. grab cable & attach to eye hook
4.apply rtv silicone to cap
5. pull cable and cap up and hope it fits snug.
6. think of way to remove cap rest of winter.

Question: I know some people dont use the tee at all and just connect the ss liner directly to the thimble.

What is the difference between leaving the cap on forever and letting the debri fall into the lower part of the tee vs no tee and letting the debri buildup in the ss liner 90 degree bend till chimney sweeping?

p.s. rookie here, so try and look past the dumb questions.

Could you reach a vac into the bottom of the tee if you pull the connector pipe?

Could you reach a vac into the bottom of the tee if you pull the connector pipe?
This is how we clean my dads install in his garage. It was installed with an elbow instead of a Tee but is easily accessible when connector pipe is removed. Brush the stack and vacuum out the bottom.

Can you make a new clean out access at the t? I would think a simple metal frame square and good saw or blade would let you do what you need.

Reactions: begreen
Can you make a new clean out access at the t? I would think a simple metal frame square and good saw or blade would let you do what you need.
I had to do this for a buddy of mine. The idiot installer intentionally left the cap off. The stove overfired once really bad. Next time it just quit drawing and filled the new home with smoke. I added a clean our door directly below the tee. You will never get that cap on unless you can get your hands on it.

Anything similar to this out there?
Maybe fab something similar in cap form?

You will never get that cap on unless you can get your hands on it.

1.jpg

HAHA! sorry for not replying here. I hadnt received any notifications.

I really appreciate all the responses.

If my buddy wasnt such a good friend, I'd buy him that metal dunce cap ;). I might still regardless.

I like the vacuum response but if its as hard as some people are saying it is to get one on.... I might need something stronger to pull it up.

I thought about possibly sealing off the bottom of the tee by placing a noncombustible gooped with silicone into the mouth of the tee snout and down towards the clean out but..... something tells me I might be jimmy rigging towards danger.

HAHA! sorry for not replying here. I hadnt received any notifications.

I really appreciate all the responses.

If my buddy wasnt such a good friend, I'd buy him that metal dunce cap ;). I might still regardless.

I like the vacuum response but if its as hard as some people are saying it is to get one on.... I might need something stronger to pull it up.

I thought about possibly sealing off the bottom of the tee by placing a noncombustible gooped with silicone into the mouth of the tee snout and down towards the clean out but..... something tells me I might be jimmy rigging towards danger.
Cutting a cleanout in just below the tee may be a good option.