What do you wish for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Pitt's & Spitt's bbq smoker has a propane starter in the firebox. I just use newspaper and kindling. Gave away my propane tank. Only used it a few times.

Lol, that is possible with any stove, at least the burn 18 hrs with 50 pct wood. It'll be smoldering all the 18 hrs long - but having to evaporate all that water may leave zero BTUs for your home... (Not to speak of what will happen to the chimney)
Yep, hence my qualification of efficient burning.

Physics prohibits that. Gotta spend the energy to evap the water. Hence not efficient.

Ah. I thought more real than pure fantasy.
Fair enough.

A wood stove that runs on cord wood but like a pellet stove with a hopper...

Maybe you were thinking of fantasy after @Caw s post... 😜

Mechanical draft damper, many people have high draft issues, this damper goes on after a section and controls the draft so the stove will act within .05wc tolerance

Reactions: ABMax24 and bholler
I figured it was something like that. The main difference is they were actually trying to clean up a stove’s operation .

I’m trying to amuse myself. If it cut my draft down a bit and 1gph of particulate out of my flue gas I’d consider it a win.

Oh yes, it's something that's going through my head, cat inside flue, and a heat exchanger, like this one in the photo,
or different, above the cat, to take advantage of that heat, but a damper would be needed...
_vyr_4922.jpg

Oh yes, it's something that's going through my head, cat inside flue, and a heat exchanger, like this one in the photo,
or different, above the cat, to take advantage of that heat, but a damper would be needed...
View attachment 310223
Under US epa emissions.. if the stove is functioning to its design there shouldnt be enough fuel in the emissions to light off the cat to get the heat boost needed to operate that.

Reactions: Prometeo
Under US epa emissions.. if the stove is functioning to its design there shouldnt be enough fuel in the emissions to light off the cat to get the heat boost needed to operate that.
Gr8! I erase from the head! and what do you think of this, should increase convection ?
IMG_20230225_123248.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VintageGal
Yeah? You don’t think there’s a time between cold start and when secondaries start rolling that a little can’t be scrubbed?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah? You don’t think there’s a time between cold start and when secondaries start rolling that a little can’t be scrubbed?
Not really, during the incipient stage and fire growth stage, fire will double in size every 30sec, by the time a stack gets warm enough to make a cat active +650deg the actual fire in the stove box is prob well over 1,000deg f and almost ready for full secondary production which starts at 1500deg f within the body of the fire itself. Then you would have to factor maintaining a stack temp to keep a cat active which presents its own problems since more energy is needed to sustain, so just stick with the internal secondary production produced by air agitation within the firebox itself.

Indeed, when the cat gets warm enough to do something, the initial phase of incomplete burning is far over. Note that the cat getting warm enough is different than the flur gases being at 650 degrees, as the former happens later due to the thermal mass of the cat.

by the time a stack gets warm enough to make a cat active +650deg the actual fire in the stove box is prob well over 1,000deg f and almost ready for full secondary
Right. What I'll sometimes do is throw flame heat to the cat to get it burning earlier than it normally would, based on temps in the the top of the box surrounding the cat. As long as I continue the flame heat, the cat will keep burning. Then the top of the stove heats up and I can cut air to a black-box burn.
It's gonna be much harder, if not impossible, to throw the necessary heat way up the pipe to where that cat would be situated..

I wish a generation or two could experience world peace.
How are they gonna make money doing that? 😏 That smacks of un-American anti-capttalism, and we'll not stand for that kind of talk, sir! 😆
Seriously, though, conflict and war is such a waste of resources, and efforts to work together have synergistic effects as opposed to competition. But humans are generally not smart enough to realize that and make more of an effort in that direction; Such is life (so far..)
But this thread is about stove wishes, not these larger concepts. Watch it, they might take your post and exile it to it's own thread in some side forum. ;)

Im a home body, I rarely leave the house due to a disability. I have no urge to be outside in the rat race everyone is in. Im anti social. So, I would change the people in the world.

Reactions: Prometeo
A
There were key damper cats made. They didn't work out
nd Bholler is correct. A EPA will require a tests at each w.c. that the stove can be run at. Remember combo stoves that could run on pellets, wood, switch grass pellets etc.? They are all gone because the testing is vastly too costly.

Blaze King should build a large non -cat lots of people don't get the concept of running a catalytic stove correctly, something with a 10 +hour burn,minimum 3.5 ,4 cu foot firebox.
So when we bought Fabco, which made superb secondary combustion stoves, we started by introducing the Briarwood. I do not want to tell you how many people called, wrote and emailed me that "this thing is no Blaze King." We must be true to ourselves. Now, I really thought you were going to say a 6 cu ft stove!

i wish my wood stove had a propane fire starter like my fire pit has. In my pit you stack up the wood, open the valve on the propane bottle and lite it. When the wood is burning shut the propane off.

It would make all those cold restarts effortless.
Dear UL, I want to attach a ignition source to a wood stove that has either an LP or NG fitting to help light the fire. Oh boy that will get them rolling....

• Haha
Reactions: kcmclellan