What if anything to do to stove in winter when leaving for vacation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
Hi, I havent actually installed my wood burning stove yet but I do know that it will be impossible to go straight up through to the roof. I will have to install through the wall then up. I will be leaving for a 11 day trip over the Christmas holiday this year so the stove will not be lit during that time. Will massive amounts of cold air enter the house through the wood stove (Drolet Baltic or Escape 1800)due to the column of cold air in the chimney wanting to fall. Is there anything you folks do to prevent cold air from coming into the house when your stove is not making heat in the winter?
Thanks, and yes I do have close to 3 cords of ash thats been drying for over a year ;)
Mark
Southern MN

I have three stoves here at 8500 ft MSL [Read: sometimes really cold in winter]. I have never done anything to block outdoor air coming in through the stoves if I am not burning them, as in when I'm gone...except the obvious of closing down the dampers/air controls, if any. Additionally, I have never felt air blowing in from a stove/stovepipe when that particular stove isn't being used. I am not saying it cannot happen; but, in forty yr. or more, I've never had an issue with it.

I wouldn't worry about it, myself. Realize, too, that for air to be coming in that way in a significant amount, it has to have a route to escape back outdoors or, in essence, the house atmosphere is being pressurized. Not likely. I suppose, thinking about it, there could be some sort of loop form that had air coming in one chimney/stovepipe and out another one, but I still don't think it is a big problem, at least in my home. As long as your windows and doors are closed, not much issue.

By the way, it's a good question but not much to worry over.

Reactions: pen
Welcome to the forum Mark.

You can always stuff insulation in the flue or even go up top, remove the cap and stuff insulation there. If it were me, I'd simply close the draft and forget it until I returned.

Next year, schedule your vacation during the warm weather. ;)

I have never had an issue. As already mentioned I would shut the drafts off but that would be more to keep the chimney from drawing the warm air into the stove and out the chimney. You would have to have a down draft situation to get cold air coming out of the stove.

Of course you need a stove-sitter. The stove needs at least 3 daily feedings of dry, seasoned wood and some paper or Super-Cedar as snack. It must be gently cleaned on the inside and I usually give it also a little rub on the outside. And the sitter cannot forget to check if your stove gets enough air to breath well and not cough up some nasty stuff. Only when you know that your stove has that warm glow on the inside you will be relived to know that he is in good hands while you are away. ;)

No, nothing should happen, just leave the thermo at 55, and you will be ok...

As others have said . . . just close down the air control and leave. There should not be a great loss of heat in the home and the cold will generally not enter via the chimney.

Hey thanks for the replys, I love this forum! I'll post pics and reviews of my stove choice once I get that far. A neighbor who has given up burning wood has donated a very nice pile (face cord or more) of very seasoned Maple once he heard about my wood burning affliction. Very cool!!

Status
Not open for further replies.