What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just reloaded; the sassafras went really fast at the tail end. Still got 6 hrs out half a firebox.

Now input two big pieces of (short) locust in the center (making one long piece), and filled the rest up with oak.

Charring phase in the pic. Front big locust piece visible in the center.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_202341019.jpg
    IMG_20210123_202341019.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 89
I have found the holy grail. Having lived in PA and burned, oak, hickory, cherry ... most of my life, I now burn one wood almost exclusively now that I'm in TN: Osage Orange. For me it is the perfect wood. Hotter than Hades, low ash, and cool sparks ( and yes, I burn it in an open fireplace) It radiates into a room like nothing else. The only caveat is the need to know how to sharpen your chains.

Coals or leftover fuel: 12 hrs after loading with small splits of oak and two locust chunks, having run at 60% open all night and on high now for a morning boost.

Will run on sassafras during the day once this load is done and back to oak and a chunk of locust for overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_090301796.jpg
    IMG_20210124_090301796.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 85
I put a few more loads of locust and maple in the garage today for the coming week. temps are supposed to be in the 30's the next few days before we get back into the 20's and teens.

10-15 tonight. Way the F too many coals for me right now. Paying the price after a lazy day of throwing on splits here and there because I was outside working on....you guessed it, firewood lol...all day. I'm power burning it down with some maple kindling then loading up some Ash/Cherry for the night.

A mix of cedar, cherry, sassafras, and some poor quality oak for a not so cold night. Tomorrow I'll let it go out, to be relighted Wednesday end of the day.

Up early this morning. Some pine to burn down the coals before filling with elm and ash. When its windy, its real apparent how drafty this ol house is. Wind chill close to 0 and around 6 inches of fluffy stuff so far.

The soft wood from last night lasted until 3 pm today or so, which was a nice surprise. As my minisplit was defrosting a few times I loaded some sassafras on the coals this afternoon to have a boost. Some flurries now outside and tonight it will be 35-37.

The stove won't be reloaded until tomorrow afternoon.

We had a low of 15.5 this morning, I shut the pellet stove off and started our first fire around 10:15 in the wood stove with some of the maples and ash.