What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Highs tonight in the 20-30 as another small/weak system approaches, that pacific storm will dump all its energy in the Yosemite/Sierra range and Reno area (as well as the rain in the coastal parts) so I won’t see any of it. Still trusty ol pine for tonight.

All beech & sugar maple tonight, no ash. Low of 1F. Will need to roll my lazy butt out of bed at a reasonable hour in the a.m. to get it going again and keep the electric baseboards from kicking in...

Tamarack. It will probably be in the 20's tonight. Today was overcast in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. Yesterday I drug home the last load of wood for the season, and this afternoon I cleaned the accumulated sawdust and chips out of the truck bed. Now I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

16 now, down to 12 for a low... Elm in the day, I'm not in dismay, oak at night, helps me sleep cozy and tight!

We had our first taste of winter today, some freezing rain and about 3 inches of snow.

A load of mostly maple from last night about 60 percent gone. 25 this morning, 34 today. Low teens next 3 nights.

We're at 10 degrees this morning, the pellet stove kept it 70 up here so I turned that off this morning and loaded the liberty up with some ash, cherry, sugar maple and one nice round of ironwood.

Some sassafras to tide me over from the maple of last night. 27 now, going to 16. String winds, wind chill tomorrow morning -2 F. So, oak tonight. Old, a little punky, halved 3-4" pieces, but it will have to do.

If someone on LI has a face cord of truly (<20%) seasoned wood even if it's soft wood as pine for sale, I am interested.
I could also exchange with split oak. Short pieces but top quality. Fresh though.

Last edited:
Been in the teens 3 nights in row...been loading the stove up with locust and oak...been waking up to 76 in the stove room and plenty left in the stove...

Highs in the teens and overnights around 0 the next few days. I brought in some of the good stuff to get started. Maple, red oak, and cherry ready for action:

20210128_182335.jpg

I suspect the resistance heat will click on for the first time this year at 3 or 4 am. My stove struggles to keep the far rooms warm enough overnight when it's below 10 degrees unless I get up to feed it...the firebox just isn't big enough (1.85 cu ft for 1700 sq feet). We only see those temps on occasion here though and its the perfect size 99% of the time. I can run it efficiently and keep the house comfy (68-70 far rooms, 70-72 near rooms, 75 stove room) without any real effort. Any bigger and I'd bake us out of here and waste wood.

Highs in the teens and overnights around 0 the next few days. I brought in some of the good stuff to get started. Maple, red oak, and cherry ready for action:

View attachment 273040

I suspect the resistance heat will click on for the first time this year at 3 or 4 am. My stove struggles to keep the far rooms warm enough overnight when it's below 10 degrees unless I get up to feed it...the firebox just isn't big enough (1.85 cu ft for 1700 sq feet). We only see those temps on occasion here though and its the perfect size 99% of the time. I can run it efficiently and keep the house comfy (68-70 far rooms, 70-72 near rooms, 75 stove room) without any real effort. Any bigger and I'd bake us out of here and waste wood.
I fight the same battle... stove is plenty big enough and produces plenty of BTU'S during the day, but I lose it over night. As long as it isn't too cold or windy I can keep the electric baseboards from kicking in overnight. Air circulation is a problem. Today it was cold and I had it over 80 in the stove room, only 66 up in the LR and 63 in the bedrooms. Once the sun came out it was better.

Low of 21 tonight, it's 22 now! With a high of 44 tomorrow, I think I'll let it die down and clean it out. Still trying to decide on sweeping it.. Oh yeah, got oak going!

Loaded the stove around 2 pm yesterday and over loaded a bit, stove was still cruising around 10 PM. Was feeling a bit crappy after round 2 of this vaccine so decided to just go to bed and see if I could catch it when the little one woke up to feed; alas not quite stove is cold and furnace is on. You win some you lose some. So propane for the moment I’ll get the stove goin again this morning after I restock the wood.

The oak from last night still going strong. 16 F here, very windy, wind chill -8 F.

Attachments

• VID_20210129_073353949.mp4
    11.5 MB
It's 4 degrees here right now and I burned the 7 am morning load of maple hot with the blower on high as the house was 62. Good coal bed left and still 450-500 STT so Gordon and I are hanging out while the coals burn down. I'm adding some small kindling here and there to speed it up so we can reload and avoid coal mountain. I have to run the stove hard to keep up when it gets this cold.

20210129_091002.jpg

I didn't run either the pellet or wood stove overnight, we burned some oil. This morning we bottomed out at - 3.8 with a load of Ash and Red Maple going in the Liberty.

I did take some ashes out and we have some wind back here that makes it feel a bit colder.

It's 4 degrees here right now and I burned the 7 am morning load of maple hot with the blower on high as the house was 62. Good coal bed left and still 450-500 STT so Gordon and I are hanging out while the coals burn down. I'm adding some small kindling here and there to speed it up so we can reload and avoid coal mountain. I have to run the stove hard to keep up when it gets this cold.

View attachment 273054

that beast will suck up all the heat... :p