What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Extremely happy last night. Hit 11F and I had a load of 2 big pieces of oak and 4 pieces of ash. Woke up at 3am because my 6 month old woke up and the house was still at 66F. I was worried the back of the house would have issues with that heat. Guess in my 3rd year my wood is better than last year and my first year it was terrible. I did throw 3 pieces in at 3am and didn't even need to open the damper. Loaded it back up at 6 before work at the house was still at 66 back near my kids bedroom. I had it fully closed up with the fan on full seeing 540F just above the door. Got a huge chuck of oak sitting for tonight where they say a low of 7F

After burning down some coals from the oak load of last night, while at the same time melting a big icicle from my chimney cap (and almost running out of wood for this year...), I put in my best load: a small scrounge of Locust. Slabs 8-10" long, 3-4" thick. Is running nicely hot. I am not sure it'll be done by tonight when I have to reload (oak) ... We'll see. If not, I might use a poker to compact the remaining stuff in the firebox to add some oak on top to get me through the night.

We had our coldest week so far so it was locust ash and some maple here and there. We had the furnace run here and there to keep the girls far bedrooms up to temps. Our 2 labs hang out by our basement stove the Kuma all winter a great place to warm up from the cold and in the summer the basement is nice and cool. Same as your buddy Caw. They have a tough life.

I always get a kick out of you cat stove hipsters and your 24 hour reloads ;lol . Reload every 6-8 hours like a real man! JK of course.

My wife is always like "why don't we have one of those" and while I sometimes agree with her when I'm lugging wood it was a size issue for us. Couldn't fit a cat in our oddly shaped fireplace even if we wanted one. I'd rather have a quality tube stove than no stove.

Low of 5::F tonight. Our stove is the little engine that could when it gets below 10... gotta work a little extra. I'm front loading the heat right now in preparation. Gonna be a little toasty at bed time but it's a small sacrifice for staying warm all night. Full load of red oak and maple around 11-11:30. Should keep us comfy until 7 am.

NOAA is calling for a low of -8 but I think we'll get colder since it's -3.1 already. Since we heat from the basement, I'll let the stove go cold and use the furnace tonight.

We'll get back burning wood in the morning.

Another load of pine for today’s burn

2742E7BF-B00C-4C89-90AC-84F7A0798C87.jpeg

It's 4 degrees here right now and I burned the 7 am morning load of maple hot with the blower on high as the house was 62. Good coal bed left and still 450-500 STT so Gordon and I are hanging out while the coals burn down. I'm adding some small kindling here and there to speed it up so we can reload and avoid coal mountain. I have to run the stove hard to keep up when it gets this cold.

View attachment 273054

Your pooch reminds me of "the beast" off of the movie the sandlot lol.

Its windy and pouring rain here at 46. I let the stove go cold this morning after last night's fire. I just put a small load of post oak in the stove. I'm probably going to mess up my timing on my overnight fire tonight. Its suppose to stay warm like this until tonight when a cold front moves through but ahh....o well.

Bunch of ash uglies and small pieces charring after last night's load of oak, before dialling the Tstat down.

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_134547404.jpg
    IMG_20210130_134547404.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 82
Your pooch reminds me of "the beast" off of the movie the sandlot lol.

Same breed! They are English Mastiffs. Gordon is 18 months and 180 lbs of lovable, drooly lap dog.

I have a few large maple splits in the 1600 right now doing some off gassing. This is just a partial load to carry me to bedtime when I'll stuff it with red oak. Low of 5 ::F tonight so we're going with the good stuff.

The blower is a little obnoxious on high. I typically only run it on low which is very quiet but with the extra cold temps today I am running it harder.

Lat night we had temps close to single digits. Tonight we should stay in the 20's. I'm burning locust and some ash here and there. I let both stoves die out today the sun kept the house pretty warm we had temps in the 30's. I cleaned out the summit it was in need of a good cleaning.

Lat night we had temps close to single digits. Tonight we should stay in the 20's. I'm burning locust and some ash here and there. I let both stoves die out today the sun kept the house pretty warm we had temps in the 30's. I cleaned out the summit it was in need of a good cleaning.
Send the warmer temps this way, NOAA is calling for -12 tonight.

@stoveliker , how much snow are they saying you'll get from the storm that's coming.

It varies depending on the track of the low coming up over the atlantic that is supposed to combine with the one coming from California. Could be more rain, could be snow. I've seen 6-18" numbers. So, in all honesty, all I know is that I have prepared, but it might be for nothing.

But they say that rather than a 6-12 hr event, this could be up to 36 hrs. And a lot of wind. So with wet snow (could get rain too after all), power might go out.

So, shovels ready, generator tested, jerry cans filled bird feeder filled :p, all dry wood that I still have left is in the garage (maple and cherry), or next to the stove (oak, cedar, ash, sassafras). Bbq has gas. So I'm all good.

Except for the fact that I need to get me some bourbon for next to the stove when I can't work because the power is out ==c

That was probably more than you asked for... Bottomline: 0-18"...:rolleyes:

It varies depending on the track of the low coming up over the atlantic that is supposed to combine with the one coming from California. Could be more rain, could be snow. I've seen 6-18" numbers. So, in all honesty, all I know is that I have prepared, but it might be for nothing.

But they say that rather than a 6-12 hr event, this could be up to 36 hrs. And a lot of wind. So with wet snow (could get rain too after all), power might go out.

So, shovels ready, generator tested, jerry cans filled bird feeder filled :p, all dry wood that I still have left is in the garage (maple and cherry), or next to the stove (oak, cedar, ash, sassafras). Bbq has gas. So I'm all good.

Except for the fact that I need to get me some bourbon for next to the stove when I can't work because the power is out ==c

That was probably more than you asked for... Bottomline: 0-18"...:rolleyes:
We do the same when we have a storm coming in except for the bourbon.