What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Same temp here this a.m. Just starting to snow here although the ground is warm and current temp.40. They say snow here all night and 1-3" accumulation.

Got home this morning from hunting and smelled the hickory burning. The wife loaded the stove for me late this morning since the house was still warm enough before I left the house. Running on coals now and the house is still toasty. It got to fifty today and probably wont need a overnight fire.

Same temp here this a.m. Just starting to snow here although the ground is warm and current temp.40. They say snow here all night and 1-3" accumulation.
East and South of us are getting snow at the moment, we're suppose to get a dusting.

East and South of us are getting snow at the moment, we're suppose to get a dusting.

Just checked and it is still a cold miserable rain and 38. If we see any snow it won't stick. Just put another split on and it is SOOOO nice in here.

Just checked and it is still a cold miserable rain and 38. If we see any snow it won't stick. Just put another split on and it is SOOOO nice in here.
We have just over 35 with some rain, I put about three splits of pine on some coals after supper, that should get us to the overnight load.

Reactions: rottiman and Riff

We have just over 35 with some rain, I put about three splits of pine on some coals after supper, that should get us to the overnight load.

That's the worst kind of weather. Seems like our winters are always like that anymore.....just warm enough that it is rain. That kind of weather really soaks into your bones.

40F, going to a low around freezing. Possible snow to the west of us. Have a split of maple and some punky oak going to make the house nice and cozy.

40F, going to a low around freezing. Possible snow to the west of us. Have a split of maple and some punky oak going to make the house nice and cozy.
Is this your first cold weather?

That's the worst kind of weather. Seems like our winters are always like that anymore.....just warm enough that it is rain. That kind of weather really soaks into your bones.

You are dead bang on with that. On top of that, we seem to be seeing more bouts of ice instead of snow. I HATE ICE

Yea ice is no good. We had a pretty bad one here in 2007. Around a 11/2". We were out of power for two weeks. Hate driving on it too.

Yeah, a few years ago I took a flip on my driveway and shattered my left elbow. Still have the pins, plates and cables as a reminder.

• Sad
Reactions: Grizzerbear
We have 33.3 this morning with a load of pine going in the Liberty. We had rain and snow overnight with the snow not lasting and it's snowing again but won't accumulate .

We have 33.3 this morning with a load of pine going in the Liberty. We had rain and snow overnight with the snow not lasting and it's snowing again but won't accumulate .

Sounds like your weather is the same as ours. Talking to a buddy down in Kingston this a.m., he said they had 1 inch on the ground there.

Reactions: thewoodlands
NOAA has us with a low of 29, we're at 30.9 tonight with a full load of hardwood locked in for the overnight load.

Came back to the city Sunday afternoon the house was warm but the furnace was making strange sounds. Shut it off, loaded the VC with hemlock, reloaded around 11:00pm with sugar maple and beech. Lots of coals in the firebox in the morning. The VC did its job just fine. Just loaded the stove with sugar maple and ash.

Furnace guy came this afternoon and the exhaust motor/blower is shot, he is hoping to have one sourced by tomorrow afternoon.

Came back to the city Sunday afternoon the house was warm but the furnace was making strange sounds. Shut it off, loaded the VC with hemlock, reloaded around 11:00pm with sugar maple and beech. Lots of coals in the firebox in the morning. The VC did its job just fine. Just loaded the stove with sugar maple and ash.

Furnace guy came this afternoon and the exhaust motor/blower is shot, he is hoping to have one sourced by tomorrow afternoon.
We had the same thing happen three years ago.

Reactions: rottiman
I hate ice too and today it was in the 70's and i am waiting for the cold so that I can light my wood stove--I am getting addicted...I broke my shoulder in ice and what a trip that was so I feel for you rottiman and can well duplicate that issue for I broke my elbow too by stepping in a hole that threw me off balance...We just need to be more careful and more wise...Staying home and enjoying our stoves would slow us down a bit especially with some hot chocolate or our favorite beverage..so in the meanwhile I am waiting for the cold weather to come and it seems late this year.. clancey

Good thing you had the wood stove.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Good thing you had the wood stove.
Yes. The stove is too small to heat the whole house. The main floor is nice and toasty.
I hope the parts are not on a back order…..apparently it happens a lot lately. It is suppose to dip to -5*C (23F) tonight!

Yes. The stove is too small to heat the whole house. The main floor is nice and toasty.
I hope the parts are not on a back order…..apparently it happens a lot lately. It is suppose to dip to -5*C (23F) tonight!
Precisely why I set my self up to be covered with the basics of day to day living (water, hydro and heat) should there be a extended issue from normal sources.

We had 30.3 this morning with some of that great white pineloak ;) going in on top of some nice coals. We brought in the last of what I had stacked for the pine we planned on burning this year, we usually have six face cord but some lazy azz only stacked one face cord in the last stack instead of two, once we're done burning the rest of the pine we'll have burned five face cord.