What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
(Though this might deserve its own thread) How tall is your chimney?
Sometimes it can help better control the stove in such cases if you dial down the air sooner upon a reload.
It’s 21’ tall. I think my main problem is I’m used to loading on a full hot bed of coals for e/w loading and with n/s I’ve found it takes off way faster than I’m used to. So I’ll either need to dial it back faster or just burn the coals down more.

Reactions: stoveliker
Ash and Oak mixture with Pine for kindling. Someone is enjoying the fruits of my labor [it's her new favorite spot now]

cat.jpg

Last night's 3/4 load is done for. The cat dropped out of the active range around 1.30 this afternoon. So warm ashes only now.

A few days of minisplit ahead. Thursday afternoon I'll likely light up again.

Our low this morning was 17.8, our temp up here was 69 or 70 depending what room you were in. I shut the pellet stove off (basement temp was 75) and started burning pine.

The temp up here is between 70-72.

We had 30.2 for a low this morning, we ran the pellet stove overnight, the temps up here are between 70 & 71 and the basement temp was 78.

I shut the pellet stove off this morning and started a pine fire, when the basement hit 83, I shut the fan off on the wood stove.

Got our first measurable snow yesterday/ last night.
20221116_075945.jpg
Loaded Myra with oak, elm and a chunk of buckthorn.
20221116_075929.jpg

Oak, pine and walnut. 38° headed down to 35°.

8A810A91-2632-4E9F-ADAD-C8F0296B65AA.jpeg

Not yet. Its not ideal but only have .1.6cf firebox trying to heat old drafty 3k sqft house. So I have to stuff it as full as possible. When we upgrade to bigger stove I won't load this way
Ok I have a 1.6cf box as well and I'm always super worried about burning the gasket. I have to get super strategic loading it up at night, should I not be as worried if coals and wood end up on the glass and gasket?

Reactions: Vg3200p and Bobbob
The gasked won't burn.
I have wood sometimes within 1/2" of the window. The window will get black there, but it does not matter for safety purposes (if you don't have to open the window while the wood is not yet burned down...). This holds for N/S loading. E/W loading has its own issues with rolling splits. (In that case, have a triangular one at the front, sloping down towards the back, to have the stack fall into the stove rather than to the window.)

Reactions: PAbeech and Bobbob
Ok I have a 1.6cf box as well and I'm always super worried about burning the gasket. I have to get super strategic loading it up at night, should I not be as worried if coals and wood end up on the glass and gasket?
I'm not gonna recommend this at all. But I have crammed wood in this stove so hard that when I closed the door it cracked a rear firebrick but not the glass. I wouldn't worry to much about a piece lightly touching the glass from my experience

We had 25.2 this morning, it was nice loading up some pine on yellow birch coals from the overnight burn. Before our first fire this morning, the basement was 73 and the temps up here was 69.

We might drop below 20 in the morning so I'm thinking we'll go with the pellet stove tonight.

I'm not gonna recommend this at all. But I have crammed wood in this stove so hard that when I closed the door it cracked a rear firebrick but not the glass. I wouldn't worry to much about a piece lightly touching the glass from my experience
Tha
The gasked won't burn.
I have wood sometimes within 1/2" of the window. The window will get black there, but it does not matter for safety purposes (if you don't have to open the window while the wood is not yet burned down...). This holds for N/S loading. E/W loading has its own issues with rolling splits. (In that case, have a triangular one at the front, sloping down towards the back, to have the stack fall into the stove rather than to the window.)
Great thanks for that. That'll make it a lot easier for me

About 2/3 load of mosley oak and a couple pieces of cherry. A balmy upstairs, so loaded enough to leave some coals in the morning. A huge difference since adding a bunch of rigid insulation to the concrete walls. Much more heat upstairs and even the second floor is 67 without using propane.

Pine. Including the Largest block I (ever) had. Near 8". More or less square. Barely fit between the bricks at 18" long, so positioning is not perfect with the hole at the bottom right.

40 now, 33 for a low.
71 upstairs, 81 at the ceiling of the basement.

IMG_20221117_223948598.jpg

20 degrees and windy. Burning down the coals a little to load in some box elder. Back home for a couple of weeks. Days are box elder from what I am seeing right now and ash overnight. Sure is nice running the NC30 at home compared to the Stratford II in the Northwoods...