What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
20 degrees and windy. Burning down the coals a little to load in some box elder. Back home for a couple of weeks. Days are box elder from what I am seeing right now and ash overnight. Sure is nice running the NC30 at home compared to the Stratford II in the Northwoods...
The Stratford II is a beautiful unit. What is it about the NC30 you enjoy so much more?

Last night we had an outside temp of 23.2 when I called it a night, the temp up here was 70 - 71.

This morning we had a temp of 25.2, the temp in the basement was 77 and the temp up here at 70. I shut the pellet stove off and we started back burning pine, the temp is still at 70 up here feeling like 78.

Not much going on for snow outside but our town road out front is pretty slick, hopefully they get some sand down on it.

The Stratford II is a beautiful unit. What is it about the NC30 you enjoy so much more?
Ease of operation. The Stratford II heats effectively but takes quite awhile to get to temperature and doesn't breathe nearly as nicely. The airflow inside is not great on the sides in the front. E/W loads absolutely suck even with runners underneath. Even with N/S loads the sides of the glass get smoked somewhat. I suspect that the outside air intake affects it also. The NC30 with no outside air is so much easier...

Last night's 10.45 reload of pine was done at 7 pm, 20 hrs in. Last night had a low of 29 or so while windy, today a high of 41. Home was an even 71 all day.
I guess my home doesn't need a lot of BTUs with the attic sealed and R48 insulated, and high efficiency windows.

Put one punky split of oak and one knotty split of pine in to get me to the 10 pm reload. Dialed the stove up because my wife was.with my son at his basketball, and I predicted she'd come home very cold. Indeed. So it's 74 now, and I'm sweating...

It's 21 out now with a low of 19 tonight. I stepped out on the porch about 30 minutes ago to grab some firewood and I heard what I believe was a doe bust off into the woods just crashing through the brush and blowing all the way. I imagine she's on the opposite side of the county by now lol. I put some red and post oak in for the overnight.

Looking at 20 degrees tonight. Beech wood loaded up

20221118_215614.jpg

Pine again (and two small oak ones to fill up gaps).

22f/67f now with a brisk wind. It was 14f last night when I loaded about 7pm. Actually, turned on the stove fans last night to boot out a little extra heat. Still have a number of hrs worth of Red Oak glowing along nicely. Good stuff.

Dropped to 19 last night...i loaded up with some 4 yr oak and locust and the stove room was 75 this morning..happy...happy wife....lol

We had 25.2 this morning, the basement temp before our first fire was 73, up here was between 68 - 69 depending on what room you're in.

I loaded up the wood stove with pine which brought the temp in the basement up to 77, I had my second cup of coffee upstairs.

IMG_0362.jpg