What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cleaned out Dorothy today. Lows headed for 0-5F. House is 74F. A full load of pine tonight.
D450AAD4-9DED-4B71-B160-2CBA797F53F7.jpeg

Oak, and one pine split (top, second to right) for overnight.

Loosely packed; it's not winter yet, 36 for a low, and tomorrow will be 48 F, so I can simmer it .

16683921285141234258736831100477.jpg

Nice. And the inside is warm from something else.

We have an outside temp of 26.6 tonight with a low of 20 forecast by Accu, the basement started out at 75 and the rooms up here are between 70 and 72.

I loaded up the Lopi Liberty with four splits of ash on the bottom row and four splits of pine on the top row.

I don't consider riding season over until the snow flies! Well, enough to have salt and sand spread anyway.
True enough, I don't quit easily. It was snowing flurries when I washed the bike this weekend, and with a couple of inches forecast Tuesday night I did put the bike on the rack and tucked it away for the winter! Always a sad day, but now I look forward to the first rides in spring.

31F outside and 65F in living room. Reloaded about 80% full with 4 splits of dried punky locust, some of them rotten enough I can stuff it with a minisplit lol. But all very dry. 2, 3min for flames to catch on, 5min for secondary to start firing, 20min for smokestack to completely clear.

Clear smoke, clear conscious.

The house was 69 this morning before our first fire, the basement was 73. We've been burning pine today with rooms up here between 69 - 71. The low this morning was 25.2.

House was 70 all day long. I simmered the (cat) stove; kept it warm providing only minimal heat as it was 46 or so outside with a bright sun.

The 3/4 load from yesterday night needed some cedar uglies around 1 pm to keep the stove warm.

I'm burning from my last tarped rack outside - the first burning from a shed bay is next.
Brought in some maple or ash uglies to tide me over an afternoon until the evening reload. Also five 6" thick 16" dia cookies of red oak from the ends of logs. I split them in half, and they read 13% on the fresh surface. Given the 46 F temp (rather than the 70 F for which the moisture meter was calibrated), I think this is around 15-16%. That'll be some nice burning when it gets colder.

Nice temp drop today perfect for hunting. Had a shot on a big doe but it was too dark to take the shot. Did get to watch 3 does duke it out with a raccoon which was hilarious.

Got a mix of oak and walnut going into the 20s tonight first time this season

F15FC021-D4D1-4E04-AAFE-AFBE7F55A123.jpeg

Its 36 out now with a rain/snow mix with a low of 31 tonight. We might get a dusting to a inch of snow. I just got the buck loaded and running with some more red oak and hickory for the night. I saw 2 does with 3 little one this evening. I couldn't do it. Just can't make myself take a doe with little ones still with her. I also saw 3 big ole long beards. I heard them fly up to roost and to top it off I heard a coyote do a little bit of barking right at dark. It was a good hunt.

The only wildlife I saw here were my rowdy kids...

Some too long oak loaded E/W here. That orientation sucks. So 2/3 of a firebox full. I'll let the stove go out tomorrow! 40 F now, low of 33 F. Tomorrow 47 and tomorrow night 43. Probably Thursday end of the day relight. Minisplit until then.

We have an outside temp of 23.2 tonight, the rooms up here are 69-70. Tonight we're going with the pellet stove and tomorrow morning we'll get back to burning in the wood stove.

Well, tonight it's Pine.
Pine.jpg

Tomorrow with highs in the 30's, lows in the teens, it'll likely be Pine. Wednesday looks about the same so probably Pine. Thursday though, high of about 25 and a low of 7 and a little snow, I may have to switch up to a heavy dose of Pine. I could go on. ;lol

Ash last night. Hit 25 of a low. My son woke up in the night so I threw a few more pieces in and had some coals this morning. More ash to keep the chill out since no one will be home till after 5. It'll be ash again tonight again. got a half cord to burn through before the oak starts.

Went to do the before bed fill up and I guess my coal bed was a little too much for the n/s loading and it started running away. 800f flue temp and rapidly climbing secondaries were flame throwers. Thinking I’m going to have to install a key damper to be able to control it better since I can’t cut off my secondary air hole (dont know where it is).

(Though this might deserve its own thread) How tall is your chimney?
Sometimes it can help better control the stove in such cases if you dial down the air sooner upon a reload.