What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Was 24f this morning at 8:00 AM. Re-load with some Mulberry, Red Oak and I think there was a Silver Maple split in there too. I hate Silver Maple but it was in some bought wood from earlier this year. Intrepid cruising 400 STT and around 900 CAT temp.

Aspen and pine here in the Northwoods. Ceiling fan got installed yesterday in the cathedral ceiling of the Great Room... Wow, what a difference!

Storm is bearing down. Going to do some shopping and go to the laundromat so I have clean socks and undies before it gets here...

Cold low 20's here today with a bit of snow. Cold looks like it's hanging around for a week or two. So...pine, pine, pine keeping us nice and toasty. However, I've been scrounging dead ash from the neighbors the last few years as all our street side trees are starting to die off. (My two just died last year) I've cracked into my small secret stash and started to mix in a few pieces with each load. Wow, the joy of hardwood rarely seen here out west! Love it.

Attachments

• 20221213_124007.mp4
    5.3 MB
The oak of last night is done. I added two pieces of pine that had a big knot and a cedar round/branch to get to the night reload.

Lows going back down to the teens again tonight. Stove is 3.0 cuft but have to load e/w only. This is my last year burning wood that I bought already cut and split. So have it loaded with shorties filling the gaps. Can’t wait until next year when I burn the wood I’ve cut to 20” that will fill the stove in e/w loads.

Got a load of some chunky black walnut and catalpa. Not much more left of it before I’m into my oak supply for the real cold. 25 outside currently with a low of 22. Stove room is 73 upstairs 67.

Red oak reload for the night. Two half rounds of only 5" long (16" dia or so). Bunch of shorties, and one longer split. Poorly filled box, but given how long last night's load took, it should be fine.

36 F now, a low of 25 F forecast. Home is 70 F as all day.

32F now, 24F overnight. Living room is maxed out at ~66F without oil furnace. Def going to need a higher BTU stove when the time comes. Full reload with oak, locust, and a TSC red stone sawdust brick that I picked up over weekend.

I've burnt a couple of these bricks past few days. Love the larger size compared to BioBricks. I can literally use it as a split. The RedStone bricks is a bit too crumbly and I can't reload on top of it without blocking off air in the rest of firebox. I imagine this would be great fuel in a cat stove where you load up 40~80lbs of the stuff and let it smolder for the next couple of days to slowly extract the heat.

Colder weather moving in starting tonight. Forecast for rest of this week calls for the lower temps. I’ll start the hardwood tomorrow, and use that until I go back to work in which the wifey will likely use the propane.
For tonight it’s currently in the high teens out headed for around 10, house is 73. Another load of pine.

NOAA is calling for a low of 14, we're at 19.6 tonight. The basement temp was 79 before I loaded up the ash for an overnight load, up here is 69 to 70 with the sleeper at 67.

This past week, temperatures overnight hovered around 32F +/-.
Burning mainly Red Oak with the occasional piece of White Oak.
Also mixed in- some Cherry. Occasional pieces of Black Gum,
Bartlett Pear, Apple. Maple, Dogwood, Beech (branches) etc.
A little Tulip (Yellow) Poplar. The East Coast is a wood gatherer's
paradise. So much to choose from. Oh, and lately I'm burning a
lot of Ewe or some similar evergreen. We had an old one,
probably 50 years old, give up and die. Anywhere from branches
1-2" dia. for kindling to trunk sections 6-10". Split and stacked for
a year, it burns hot and coals nicely; was well worth the effort to
process it. Probably pretty high BTU relatively, and not any smoky
pine-like pitch seen coming off it. I love all the variety. I've learned
so much about different wood types since my wood stove debut
in 2007...

Just had a dead White Oak taken down in our back yard. Beetles
got it. Have lost several Oaks the past 10 years, probably EAB or
something similar chewing on them. White Oak was around 17-20"
DBH. Probably 70-90YO. I'll count the rings later. Close to a cord
in it. I have it reduced to rounds now, and will get it split and
stacked soon. Seasons 2 to 3 years, of course- White Oak needs
a lot of time for that.

Clutter

32F now, 24F overnight. Living room is maxed out at ~66F without oil furnace. Def going to need a higher BTU stove when the time comes. Full reload with oak, locust, and a TSC red stone sawdust brick that I picked up over weekend.

I've burnt a couple of these bricks past few days. Love the larger size compared to BioBricks. I can literally use it as a split. The RedStone bricks is a bit too crumbly and I can't reload on top of it without blocking off air in the rest of firebox. I imagine this would be great fuel in a cat stove where you load up 40~80lbs of the stuff and let it smolder for the next couple of days to slowly extract the heat.
I actually really like those red stone bricks. I got a pack to try em out. They last a while in my stove and burn really nice on a hot bed of coals. They’re definitely crumbly, I was loading one in and the corner busted off and exploded sending saw dust everywhere which was fun.

They are nice as long as I don't need to reload on top of it. They aren't cord wood and uses are more specialized.

I load it on the side of stove to fill the gaps (my stove fits up to 20in, my logs are cut 16~18in) where over 6, 7 hours they completely burn down.

I also like placing it upper-most back location underneath first row of secondary tubes. The dryness maintains super hot secondary burn while rest of stove just smolders along slowly.

24F outside with 35mph wind gusts. Living room at 61F. Nice bed of coal leftover from last night. Reloaded with oak and locust.

We had 7.9 for a low this morning, the basement temp was 72 and up here was 66 to 68 before our first fire.

Our fire this morning was ash and some pine.

Reactions: MMH
They are nice as long as I don't need to reload on top of it. They aren't cord wood and uses are more specialized.

I load it on the side of stove to fill the gaps (my stove fits up to 20in, my logs are cut 16~18in) where over 6, 7 hours they completely burn down.

I also like placing it upper-most back location underneath first row of secondary tubes. The dryness maintains super hot secondary burn while rest of stove just smolders along slowly.

24F outside with 35mph wind gusts. Living room at 61F. Nice bed of coal leftover from last night. Reloaded with oak and locust.
I know the red stone has two different styles. Larger three pack bricks and smaller six pack bricks. I have used them both and find the larger bricks are very crumbly and not very effective. The smaller more condensed six pack bricks work well. I find the put out as much heat as my regular wood. I do find they don’t burn as long though. I was on TSC over the weekend and saw a new twelve pack of bricks. Didn’t pick any up but Interested to see how they perform.
I have about a dozen six packs stored in my garage that I have in case of emergency. Probably only burn one or two packs a year.

Reactions: thewoodlands
70 in the stove room after coming home from dinner and 29 outside. Stuck a massive chunk of black walnut in (6x6 with a huge knot in it) in the back and 2 smaller splits in front. Went right up on the hot coal bed I made for it.

35 f outside now, low forecast of 31. Upstairs is 68, basement is 77 at hip height and 83 at the ceiling.

I extended last night's load with three pine splits, and reloaded now with oak.
Two 5" thick cookies (in half, so four half cookies, because I had tested the moisture content a month ago or so, was a nice 13 percent), and a few small splits. All red oak. Took off before I was done reloading.

Left three half cookies e/w, and one n/s on the right, with the splits on top.

These splits of red oak are a bit punky on the outside 1", but it is what I could get three years ago (had been standing dead).

IMG_20221214_223716298.jpg

Last edited:
~25F most of the day with strong wind gusts. Missed a reload this afternoon due to work and oil furnace kicked in around 4pm. Full reload round 5pm with pine, poplar, and silver maple, which are now coaling by now (11pm) and living room recovered to 65F.

Can't reload too much due to coals, so stuffed it as full as I could with oaks, locust and biobricks. I usually wake up around 4am to pee, I'll probably do a partial reload that time with small splits that I've prepared - oak, beech, and locust.

Currently in the teens out and snowing again calling for additional 1-2”, house is 70 after returning from work, lows headed for upper single digits tonight. Another full load of pine. Hardwood temps begin tomorrow.