What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
35 now, light snow, 1/2 to 1" on the ground (driveway still just wet).

Reloaded with pine and 2 oak splits. Low forecast of 33.

80 f at hip height, 84 at the basement ceiling. 73 on the living floor. (I cut off some too long oak splits, and the bucket of 1-2"long cut offs was blasted through to clean the window a bit.)

Round 2; snows coming down again, winter weather storms/advisories have been extended until this evening now. I’ve got drifts the size of our chicken coop in various locations, I’m going to have to tractor again today. Threw some pine in for this morning, I’ll be bringing hardwood in for later as well. House is 72.

Got 4 inches of snow between yesterday and overnight. Cleared out the snow, a long drive way (about 100 yards), parking space and made path to my firewood so i can haul uninterrupted. Took about an hour and half. Setup christmas tree over the weekend. Have Some oak and ash mix in the fireplace. 30 outside and 78 Inside.

mas1.jpg

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Got 4 inches of snow between yesterday and overnight. Cleared out the snow, a long drive way (about 100 yards), parking space and made path to my firewood so i can haul uninterrupted. Took about an hour and half. Setup christmas tree over the weekend. Have Some oak and ash mix in the fireplace. 30 outside and 78 Inside.

View attachment 305064

View attachment 305066
What part of pa? I got 6 inches and Supposed to get more thursday

The temp bottomed out at 15.2 this morning, the basement was still 72 and the other rooms were between 66 to 68.

I loaded up the wood stove with some ash and pine, the high temp today was 19.4 back in the pines.

Woke up to about 3” of snow. Overnight low tonight of 15 in forecast. Heat my 2,000 sqft house solely with wood. Luckily I worked from home today and was able to get a jump start on it. Downstairs is at 74 and upstairs at 70. Once my afternoon load burns down, I’ll do an overnight of red oak and shagbark hickory.

8pm - 66F in living room, pretty much stuck here all day, with my throttle limited to 50% (by choice). Based on anecdotal experience, wide open throttle simply leads to greater loss through chimney and doesn't really warm my house.

I got about 2hrs before bedtime. For now, tossed in 3 medium sized splits to burn down coal bed, air at 75% until flame catches. Around 10pm I'll do a full reload with oak, locust, and biobricks.

The load of pine and 2 splits of oak of last night 11 pm is done. The high today was 37 F, cloudy. Melting snow. The low is forecast to be 24, it's 31 now.
The home has been a constant 69 F all day.

Red oak reload at this point.

We're at 8.6 already tonight, the basement started out at 75 and the rooms up here are 67 to 68. Tonight we'll go with the constant heat throughout the night so we have the pellet stove going.

NOAA is calling for a low of 2.

We're the splits on the right shorter? If not, why not load the whole box N/S?

We're the splits on the right shorter? If not, why not load the whole box

In our stove (Lopi Liberty) we get a longer burn time loading east to west.
And yah e/w I get the longest burns. And it actually helps I had some really short logs because I can fill in the gaps when I load with different sized pieces. I'm trying to save my longer 16-17 in pieces for January february

@PAbeech
Ok,that makes sense. I disliked the stacking of different sizes, so I now buck my own

@thewoodlands
Yes, but at a lower output per hour. I hear people doing e/w in mid winter, but it does (should) result in less heating even if for longer. Seems like a better way to do this in the shoulder seasons?

(Edit: unless the efficiency goes up burning e/w.)

I'm still gaining skills in splitting (by hand) as square as possible so I can stuff as much and as tight as possible n/s. (My current wood is still mostly triangular.) Doing that right should slow down the burn too at a constant air setting.

@PAbeech
Ok,that makes sense. I disliked the stacking of different sizes, so I now buck my own

@thewoodlands
Yes, but at a lower output per hour. I hear people doing e/w in mid winter, but it does (should) result in less heating even if for longer. Seems like a better way to do this in the shoulder seasons?

I'm still gaining skills in splitting (by hand) as square as possible so I can stuff as much and as tight as possible n/s. (My current wood is still mostly triangular.) Doing that right should slow down the burn too at a constant air setting.
We like burning N/S because we get more heat out of a load but I did cut all of this years pine longer for a e/w burn, we liked burning N/S enough that I've been cutting down all the pine we've brought in.....almost eight face cord! ;em:eek:

I just thought that because most of the pine we're burning is past its prime that a longer burn time would be better, I'll never do that again.

Storms mostly done, got everything plowed and shoveled again. Tonight’s low is headed for around 10, house is 73. I’ll do another load of pine tonight and start throwing in the hardwood over the next day or so.

@stoveliker I’ve also found the same thing I get longer burns loading e/w but I lose the heat output, for me it hasn’t been worth it; I’ll use it at times when I don’t need the heat but want to keep the stove going otherwise it’s all n/s for me.

I feel like half of my problem comes from those square splits that are stacked too tight and preventing good circulation. The worst are the wedge splits that allows me to stack super tight.. and next hour I'm poking around with the iron trying to get some circulation in the oven