What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A bunch of thin cedar rounds and two and a half oak splits. 39 outside now, the low is forecast at 30.

70 inside all day, after adding one oak and one pine split around 2 pm. It was warm (though windy and not pleasant) at 44 max today.

IMG_20221209_214134236.jpg

Last edited:
It's 20.1 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of 13, the basement temp is 77 heading up with the temps up here at 69 & 70. The Liberty is loaded up with ash and two splits of maple.

24F tonight before windchill. Living room at 66F and top floor down to 69F after the noon reload burnt down. Reloaded with a giant @$$ piece of knarly red oak (6, 7in diameter), 3-5in locust, and about 6 pieces of biobricks filling in.

smoke clear after about 20min at 75% air. Turned down to about 25% for overnight burn.

Currently 23 out with the temps increasing tonight before the next system moves in. Another round of winter weather advisories and storm warnings starting tomorrow followed by singles and negatives again next week. I’ll probably move a little bit more wood and grab some elm and mahogany for that. House is 73 with another load of pine in for tonight.

We had a low of 12 this morning, the basement was still 72 and up here was 66 to 67. We loaded up on some nice coals with a few splits of pine and the rest was ash, the temp up here is 69.

Gone from home most of day.

In the morning around 7AM reloaded with giant pieces of oak and medium locust splits.

Got home around 9PM with living room dropping down to 64F and oil heater just kicking in. A handful of coals remained. Reloaded with a few pieces of (oak?) kindling, dry locust splits, with 3 biobricks on top layer for the "instant gratification". Had to keep the stove door open until some resemblance of secondary burn (~15min), kept air at 100% until unequivocal secondary burn (another ~15min). Now it's an hour after reload, about 40% throttle, the stove sounds like an engine roaring, and living room temperature recovering.

NOAA is calling for a low of 18, we're at 15.6 tonight . Tonight we're going with the pellet stove and start burning in the wood stove tomorrow, the temp up here is 67 tonight.

Reactions: Bobbob and MMH
36 out now, a low of 35 is forecast. 70 in the home, 77 to 82 in the basement (hip to ceiling).

Reloaded with pine and two oak splits.

Hit almost 40 today felt like summer. Storm is beginning tonight. I moved some wood to refill the porch stack, and moved some elm and mahogany for the drip in temps after the system.
Currently 32 out with the feels like in the 20s, storm starting tonight, house is 72. All pine tonight.

This morning around 8am (10~11hrs burn since last reload) living room around 62F, 33F outside and overcast. Couple handful of fist-sized coals left but not enough to cover the bottom of stove.

Last night I left couple pieces of decently dry splits around stove (MC 15%~20%) and those went in... those 5, 6in splits instantly caught on. A few more pieces of biobricks to fill in spaces, we are cooking 20min later with clear smoke stack and able to turn down air to ~50% to recover living room temperature before wife wakes up.

We had 19.2 this morning with the temps up here between 66 and 69 with the basement temp at 73.

After cleaning the wood stove pipes, I started a fire with some ash and white pine, the temp up here is 71.

Yes.

Interesting stories about whaling ships being sealed with pitch from these forests.

Here are two pieces with leftover fatwood from a pitchpine tree. I took most of that off (for firestarter), but I now see this is still there. Going to burn this at some point when I can look at how it will behave.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Have 5-8” depending on the spot, and still coming down. Calling for an additional 5-6” between rest of today and tomorrow on top of what’s left from the last storm. Got the driveway plowed. Threw in a few more pieces to tide us over for rest of afternoon and to bake the pipe a bit the cap has from frozen chunks around it. Currently in the 20s with the feels like at 14.

Have 5-8” depending on the spot, and still coming down. Calling for an additional 5-6” between rest of today and tomorrow on top of what’s left from the last storm. Got the driveway plowed. Threw in a few more pieces to tide us over for rest of afternoon and to bake the pipe a bit the cap has from frozen chunks around it. Currently in the 20s with the feels like at 14.
View attachment 304999
View attachment 305000
View attachment 305001
Nice! We got 6 inches in pennsylvania. Supposed to get a bigger storm Thursday can't wait

We got a few of those hard rain drops (not freezing rain but frozen pieces, ticking on your coat) today. Yesterday night I saw a few snow flakes. Nothing on the ground.

Ever since yesterday, I feel like chasing warmth. Probably reloaded 2x today, each time about 30%, 40% of total fire box capacity. Also running throttle 50%~75% much of the day. I'm reluctant to push stove further, knowing it would just eat up wood and send BTUs up chimney without too much in return.

Interestingly I re-read the stove manual today - rated for 57k BTU max, but only around 27.6k "EPA BTU". My guess is that 28K BTU is more or less enough to sustain warmth or increase temperature in less challenging situations, but if I'm behind in reloads (away from home yesterday) or challenging conditions (overcast + wind), the 28K is not enough. My next stove, if in the same house, needs to purr away 25k-35k BTUs super efficiently all day long and reach somewhere 40k if needed.

Anyhow....

Reloaded with dry locust + biobricks. If I sustain 63~64F in living room overnight, I'll be able to hit 67F~68F tomorrow, without touching oil.

Accu is calling for a low of 19 in the morning, it's 22.2 tonight. The wood stove is loaded up with ash for the night, the stove room is 79 and the rooms up here are 69,70 and 71.