What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Loading up the BK after a 22 hour burn. It’s 33 outside and 78 inside. Wood is ash, beech, cherry, and maple.

It hasn’t been too cold, but was pretty windy. Temps in the 20’s with 20+mph wind.

60782A83-50F7-4CDC-A9F5-2B87807DF6F5.jpeg

We had 40.1 after this first cup of coffee this morning, the temp up here was 69. We had a pine fire this morning with the high temp up here getting to 71, the temp is at 70 this afternoon.

It isn't real windy back here today but it looks like western NY has a bunch of power outages from the wind.

Reactions: Bobbob and MMH
It’s pretty windy here today. I was just at the grocery store, and all sorts of stuff was blowing across the parking lot.

The wood I loaded 2 posts up is still going in the stove :)
37 outside and 77 inside.
After I posted about the winds not being real bad back here, they picked up. The wife went up the road to a neighbor's house, she said it was very windy.

I see the power outages are starting to hit just below Watertown NY.

Loading up the BK after a 22 hour burn. It’s 33 outside and 78 inside. Wood is ash, beech, cherry, and maple.

It hasn’t been too cold, but was pretty windy. Temps in the 20’s with 20+mph wind.

View attachment 304403
@DonTee
Is that a Princess? That is a lot of splits! Unless they are small. If i can fit 6/7 splits in mine I am happy. Must me way bigger splits.

Reactions: Bobbob and MMH
Back from my work trip. Still in the 50s here but a low of 35 forecast. So I started the stove. (At 56 F... Great draft with the tall chimney...)

I loaded some too long rounds of cedar and oak e/w, and some pitch pine on top n/s.

The piece.of pine in the pic was at 14 percent (I split a big piece to measure). So what is cooking on the end here is pitch, not water. It was much more initially, brown. Some pieces stay completely dry. Others are literally dripping when it melts. First time insaw that this year I was worried about wet wood. But it really isn't.

I hope the cat eats all the vapors.

It's not the best packed.load because of.some oddly shaped pieces. But it'll do until some time tomorrow.

IMG_20221203_205620734.jpg

@DonTee
Is that a Princess? That is a lot of splits! Unless they are small. If i can fit 6/7 splits in mine I am happy. Must me way bigger splits.
Yup it’s a Princess. I have some bigger splits on the bottom, and smaller splits to fill in the top. Maybe I could bump up my burn times if I used bigger splits. It’s just what I happened to have on hand.

I’ll try for a 30 hour burn one of these days ;)

It's 32.1 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of 26, I just loaded up the Liberty with some ash and pine, the basement (stove room) is 77 getting warmer and up here is between 69 and 70.

A few hours later I have a tarry blob that slowly breathes...

IMG_20221203_231405496.jpg

21 here and just loaded up with ash and a couple pieces of honey locust. I've got a pallet of just honey locust on the porch waiting for cold weather.
17 here, NW OH. Letting some coals burn down (coffee 1st), then I'll load 3 pieces of red oak.

We had 25.3 this morning with the basement at 70 and the temps up here between 68 and 69. The first load was pine with some cookies going on some coals when I came back in, the temp up here today is between 69 and 70 with the stove room (the basement) at 77.

I am running the usual weekend/vacation load of uglies consisting of ash,oak and locust...

I had a few maple and cedar uglies and "longies" (so long as to have to go in diagonal) to carry me over from last night's load to the reload just now.

Pitch pine and oak loaded now. Tomorrow afternoon when this load is done, I'll let the stove go cold. It'll be cold until Thursday afternoon according to the current forecast.

71 inside, 31 outside, forecast low of 28. Tomorrow's high forecast to be 50.

16702076773261619506401072008920.jpg

Ash and cherry.

Got back to the Northwoods yesterday afternoon and refused to turn the thermostat up. Tried to get back up to temperature with just the fireplace. Took awhile, but got it there. Overnight low was 5 above, so between that and having to get the walls warm it took a bit. I turn the thermostat up as the fireplace heats the air... Hit 60, thermostat goes to 59; hit 64, thermostat goes to 63; etc. That way when I stop getting adequate heat overnight the furnace just has to maintain. Had a semi scary hot overnight fire with some nice dry beech and ash. Actually partially closed the intake damper to slow it down. Never had to do that before.

Today hit almost 30 and only going down to the mid 20's tonight.

It's 31.5 out tonight, I have some ash mixed in with pine for the overnight load. The rooms up here are between 70 and 71 with the basement temp at 75 heading up.

A check on that load from earlier tonight made me see the (Northern) lights

Attachments

• VID_20221204_232146252.mp4
    14.5 MB