What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our temp this morning was 27.5 with the temps up here between 68 and 69. We had a pine fire this morning with the temp up here this afternoon still at 69.

Cold and rainy day today. Mix of black walnut catalpa white oak and a sassafras round.

183BE0BB-595F-4CD1-8A01-6C34781F8FAD.jpeg

I've been burning some apple lately, but it does leave a lot of ash. Clinkers too. It's that 50yr old wood I was left with. I thinks it's dry. Is it the apple, or age, not sure.
The Apple I've been burning is well seasoned and doesn't seem to leave any more ash than well, Ash. Does leave more than say OAK though. Supposed to be middle of the road as far as BTU's.

Reactions: Bobbob
Sounds like some of you have had some mild temps. I’ve had quite the opposite, actually unseasonably cold here given the last 6-7 years. The temps here plummeted after the storm about 2-3 weeks ago with negative to single digit nights and highs of 0-20s. I did have a brief spell of warmth where we had teens at night and 30s during the day. But we’re back to the cold snap. Have had freezing fog last 2 days after another system rolled through; woke up this morning to -2 out house was 71 highs in the 20s with the wind chills making that singles-teens, and that’s occurring for the next several days again until another system moves through. Okay enough meteorology.

Been busting into the hardwood pile much earlier this year, good thing I had a decent stash of that elm. Tonight was mostly pine and a dash of elm again. Currently 9 out house is in the mid 70s. The master stays much cooler as it sits behind the stove and our curtains aren’t really anything more than decorative. Yesterday morning when I woke up, even I was a bit chilly so I checked and the room was in the low 60s. So I’ll be buttoning up on the window loss and see what that does.

On a final note I caught some decent secondaries and glowing.

EA6A438B-64D3-4EAD-960F-57A11E9417A3.jpeg

Sounds like some of you have had some mild temps. I’ve had quite the opposite, actually unseasonably cold here given the last 6-7 years. The temps here plummeted after the storm about 2-3 weeks ago with negative to single digit nights and highs of 0-20s. I did have a brief spell of warmth where we had teens at night and 30s during the day. But we’re back to the cold snap. Have had freezing fog last 2 days after another system rolled through; woke up this morning to -2 out house was 71 highs in the 20s with the wind chills making that singles-teens, and that’s occurring for the next several days again until another system moves through. Okay enough meteorology.

Been busting into the hardwood pile much earlier this year, good thing I had a decent stash of that elm. Tonight was mostly pine and a dash of elm again. Currently 9 out house is in the mid 70s. The master stays much cooler as it sits behind the stove and our curtains aren’t really anything more than decorative. Yesterday morning when I woke up, even I was a bit chilly so I checked and the room was in the low 60s. So I’ll be buttoning up on the window loss and see what that does.

On a final note I caught some decent secondaries and glowing.
View attachment 304802

View attachment 304801
Yah it was cold over here in pa about a week or two ago but warmed up. I can't stand when it warms up unseasonably. I've never realized NV got so cold but it makes sense. This forum is so neat being able to talk with people all over, so much info.

Yah it was cold over here in pa about a week or two ago but warmed up. I can't stand when it warms up unseasonably. I've never realized NV got so cold but it makes sense. This forum is so neat being able to talk with people all over, so much info.
Yeah agreed. I’m up in the northeast corner, we’re nothing like Vegas (in any way) so while my summers are desert like, The rest of my seasons are still there also.

Temperatures have been on the warmer side this last week. Used the opportunity of 50F yesterday to install a cast iron key damper to keep the heat down in the new 36' tall, 8" chimney on the Brunco WC190. Also cleaned out the circ blower. Found it was over half plugged with some random paper that had been there since before we bought the house. Much smoother and quieter now!

We had 35.1 this morning with more pine going in the wood stove, we had 67 up here before our fire this morning.

It's 70 up here at the moment, I made some spaghetti sauce for part of our meal tonight so the propane warmed things up pretty good.

I relighted the stove. A low of 33 F tonight. A Pine and oak mix.

Accu is calling for a low of 19 tomorrow morning, I'll go with a load of ash for the overnight load. The temp up here is between 69 and 71 depending on what room you're in.

It looks like the overnight temps for the next 4 nights will be dropping below 20 so we'll start getting more ash in along with more pine that will be for some fires during the day.