What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have an outside temp of 11.3 tonight, the basement is starting off at 74 with the temps up here 68 & 69.

We have the pellet stove going again tonight.

We have an outside low of 7.3 this morning, the basement started off at 75 and the temps up here 67 & 68.

The pellet stove is off and the wood stove has beech & ash going in it.

Reactions: stoveliker
House is warm at 71 so loaded small with 3 splits, oak, cherry and one poplar to get things going quickly.

5 F this morning, ash, oak, honey locust mix- there will be coals left when I get home some 12 hours later.

California is getting an unusual cold series of storms for the next week or so. It's 34 out right now which is about as cold as it gets here as we're not that far from the coast. It's been snowing on and off. The stove's full of Black Oak which burns wonderfully.

7" of snow so far and the power's out. Last time we got snow like this power was out for two weeks. There's a lot of tree damage as they're not used to the snow load. Once the snow melts enough to be safe to be near trees I'll be starting clean up.

almost exhausted oak pieces, average 5 percent moisture,
they did wheelie the temperatures inside the house, oak is oak!
IMG_20230224_185703.jpg

It's windy here. Sunny, but very windy, so quite some heat loss in the home. So last night's 2/3 load was gone around 2.45 pm. Added 3 short oak splits and dialed up the thermostat; the temperature is dropping, so I am going to "pre-charge" the basement with heat.
Maybe another round of a few small splits before the night reload, which will be big (and long) splits of oak and cherry.

Brutal wind here all day. Kept the fire going all day with a few loads of shortys. Preparing for that cold snap to hit here tonight Temps have been dropping here all day. Still 75 in here
It’s definitely be too mild this winter so i welcome the cold. Snow expected Monday we’ll see if that materializes.

Added one split of pine to burn down some coals, and now a cherry and oak reload for overnight.

16772869359905879145438137795625.jpg

My wife let the stove die out this afternoon since downstairs was nice and warm at 77. Just got it back going no top down start needed since warm flue and some coals. One piece of fatwood, two kiln dried pieces of kindling, 4 small mixed splits and added a redstone brick once it got going. Outside temp is 24.

NOAA is calling for a low of minus 8, we're at minus 2.2. The basement is starting off at 77 with the temps up here between 67 - 70.

The pellet stove is our source of heat for tonight.

We had a low of minus 14.1 this morning, the basement temp was 75 with the temps up here between 64 & 67.

The pellet stove is still going and the wood stove has a load of beech going in it.

It was 19 F this morning, and 68.5 in the living room. There was enough left at 7.30 for another 3 hrs, but I had to leave until lunch so I added a few shorties.

The wind had died down last night, and it makes a big difference in the need for heat if my home, as even though it was 10 degrees colder, less fuel was needed to keep the home warm.

It was 19 F this morning, and 68.5 in the living room. There was enough left at 7.30 for another 3 hrs, but I had to leave until lunch so I added a few shorties.

The wind had died down last night, and it makes a big difference in the need for heat if my home, as even though it was 10 degrees colder, less fuel was needed to keep the home warm.
Me too. Zero and calm is better than 10 and windy... maybe even 20 and windy...

Been burning all day. Teens outside with light snow. Keeping main floor at 76, 71 upstairs. Mainly splits of cherry, oak, maple and redstone brick to top it off.

We have an outside temp of 2.8 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75 and the temps up here are between 66 to 69.

I just turned the pellet stove on for the night, I'll let the coals burn down in the wood stove and take the ashes out tomorrow morning.

Had added some mid afternoon.furing some snow (I think we got an inch, on top of the 1/4" we got so far this winter - abi2 ft below average....).
The high was 29 today, 26 F now, which is likely the low for the night. 71 in the living room. Tomorrow 47 again...

A not very tightly packed cherry load for overnight.

We had 8.4 this morning, the basement temp started off at 75 and the temps up here were between 66 to 68.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

Reactions: stoveliker