What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's 26.4 out tonight, the temp in the basement started out at 68 with the temps up here 68 & 69. Another night with the pellet stove.

Small crap wood fire this morning to take the chill out. Going up to 50 today. Rain coming through tonight with a low around 40. Tomorrow is starting out warm with temperature's dropping all day and 4-8" of snow (according to the weather guessers) starting overnight Wed night and all day Thursday.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Right now just ash and some dying coals. Was out most of the Day Sunday and after coming home from Superbowl party was not interesting is starting a fire when it was relatively warm out. Burned one last night, but going to be warm again today. And being a bit deficient on burnable wood, see no need to consume the limited resources I have left. Will burn at night and if the daytime temp will be under 45.

No burning since last weekend. Winter seems about over for us but I'm hoping for one more cold spell. Will be near 80 degrees on Thursday.....sigh...

Reactions: thewoodlands
We had 29.7 this morning with the basement temp at 74 and the temps up here at 69.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

50’s today so no fire. 36 out now dropping to 30. House temp 68 so loaded stove with one medium oak split, one smaller maple and two smaller pieces of ash across the top. Top down fire going good now so added a red stone on top. Main floor should get in the the 70’s shortly.

First time able to post nothing in the fire. Low of 50 tonight, high 65ish tomorrow and sunny. Can take the ebike to work. Only brief, of course...Rain Thur. 18F Friday.

The temps up here are starting out at 68 & 69, the basement temp at 73 and the outside temp is 27.

Another load of ash is providing the heat tonight.

Reactions: Wildflush
Pretty mild here...24 hour burns of ash uglies...it has been a mild winter over all and only had to dip into my locust stash a few times...that makes me happy...

65F here today. Let the fire go out last night. Probably won't relight again until Friday night.

This morning we had an outside temp of 36.9, the basement started out at 72 with the temps up here at 68. Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

Tonight we have an outside temp of 46.8, the basement started out at 72 with the temps up here at 70.

Reactions: Gearhead660
No fire yesterday as was near 70f. This morning was 45f so lit small fire just to take the chill off and keep flue warm. Still supposed to get to low 60's today with t'storms. Crazy! Back down to low 20's Friday night some maybe decent fire then.

Reactions: JamesGuido
predicted 6 to 8 inches of white rain all day today with temps outside at 31°F
Jøtul filled with parts from a former oak tree

02162023.jpeg

Jotul.jpg

Enjoy your nice day....

Some below freezing temps off and on for a couple of days. Thought maybe was all done burning.

Kindled up a fire with some splintered up pine scraps and some 1” and smaller stuff from the woods (filled a tub with sycamore, ash, locust a few weeks ago) and some slats split off of oak that is inexplicably not supposed to be seasoned. It all cherried out pretty quick - ready for a couple larger red oak splits.

We had 36.9 this morning with the basement temp starting out at 70 and the rest of the house 68.

We have 31.1 out tonight, the basement is starting out at 72 and the temps up here 69 & 70.

I have two splits of beech on the outsides of the bottom row with the rest of the splits ash.

Reactions: NickW
21 and windy outside. Load of ash, maple & birch. Rec/stove room is about 78, LR upstairs is 69, bedrooms are 67. Really liking the controllability of the multi species fires. All ash filled to the gills gets hard to control. We'll see what happens when I put a damper in and change my horizontal run to angled for next year.

2.17.2023 Morning Temps

We have an outside temp of 24.3, the basement temp started out at 70 with the rooms up here 67 & 68.

The wood stove has three splits of ash and two splits of beech in it providing the heat.

Got tonight’s load ready. Going to be 22 tonight. Two medium oak splits on two kiln dried sleepers. Two smaller pieces of ash diagonally across. Kindling made up of sticks from the yard and two pinecones as fire-starters.

Last edited:
Well another warm day 43 now so no stove until end of the week when temps drop in the teens. Strangest winter that I can remember

It's 41.7 out tonight, the basement is starting out at 68 and the temps up here are at 68. Another load of ash is in the stove for the overnight burn.

Myra cruising with a breakfast of elm.
20230220_074020.jpg
Was warm and sunny yesterday so let stove burn out to empty ashes and clean glass. Was a lot of clinkers...

We had an outside temp of 39.4 this morning, the basement started out at 70 with the temps up here at 68. Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

Reactions: NickW