What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
-5 degrees here, and full of Shagbark Hickory. Stovetop's about 620.

Reactions: Rangerbait
We got down to -2*F this morning. My wife dos a good job of keeping the stove going yesterday, and when I got home this morning there was around 3" of coals in the bottom. I used 2 splits of ash and 3 pieces of pine to get the house warm and burn some coals. Now we are burning ash and cherry. Will be switching to mulberry shortly.

It was -29::F just before daybreak this morning but it has warmed up to -22 now. Not so bad.... warm compared to Cotton MN where it was -42 this morning... I’m still burning well seasoned red oak. It’s working for me now. :eek:

pics or it didn't happen!

Have to try to remember to take one tonight. Those were gone to coals by sunup and I am just burning one at time through the day today. Got up to a warm house and 180 degree stove after 11 hours.

0BF7AC7C-597D-4B4F-A6F6-95283F1BA908.jpeg
The old girl chewing down sycamore rounds

Have to try to remember to take one tonight. Those were gone to coals by sunup and I am just burning one at time through the day today. Got up to a warm house and 180 degree stove after 11 hours.
How do you like them, good substitute for cord wood?

I've tried bricks here and there but never a full load.

How do you like them, good substitute for cord wood?

I've tried bricks here and there but never a full load.

They work pretty well. I am constantly messing with different load sizes and configurations. Of course nothing will ever beat dry oak but...

They work pretty well. I am constantly messing with different load sizes and configurations. Of course nothing will ever beat dry oak but...
Always a bit afraid to use a full load but mebee one day if I get tired of the work.

Always a bit afraid to use a full load but mebee one day if I get tired of the work.

Burning 20 or so tightly packed is nothing like setting off two or three and letting them blaze away. Easy to control the burn with the larger tightly packed load. I burned the 15 brick load last night just like cord wood. That being pulling the coals to the front and loading behind them them pushing the hot coals back against the front of the load. Cracked door till the load started to catch and closed the door. I stepped down the primary air at exactly the same temp points I do with hardwood.

I have done overnights last year with as many as 23 bricks and never had a concern of a runaway. I cannot say the same for dry hardwood loads.

One thing I will say about bricks. The "no mess" claim is BS. The things are messier with the excess sawdust than cord wood ever could be.

Burning 20 or so tightly packed is nothing like setting off two or three and letting them blaze away. Easy to control the burn with the larger tightly packed load.

That makes sense. How are you lighting them from a cold start? That gave me trouble too. Did better after I had a coal bed from wood.

That makes sense. How are you lighting them from a cold start? That gave me trouble too. Did better after I had a coal bed from wood.

Two on the sides with one over the top making a small tunnel between them in front of the "doghouse" air in the center front of the stove. Poke a quarter of a super cedar in that tunnel and light it and close the door and you are off to the races.

Reactions: jatoxico
Cherry and white oak. This stove/furnace shines in the sub-zero weather. We open windows regularly in fall/early spring, but i can crank it when its cold and the house is perfect. Arctic occilation has got nothing on me. :cool:

Reactions: ThunderMedic
IMG_0587.JPG

White Oak,White Oak,and more White Oak..:) I would love to have me some Hedge right now..been loading 3 times per day....once in the morning full load then a lighter afternoon/early evening load and then ash clean out if necessary and then I went scrounging in my White Oak hoard and found 6 big splits and that was all I was able to fit in the stove! Bigger is better...

Reactions: Ashful
I've been home all day (temps are around -20F and below all week at night) and have been feeding the stove heavy all day. Just finished burning down some excessive coaling with a few tiny ash and birch splits (spoil from splitting really, but I throw nothing out). I loaded it with a medium load of medium size birch and ash splits plus a 5 inch round of Manitoba maple. I'll try and burn this down as best as possible before bed and will load up with large birch and ash splits.

Reactions: ThunderMedic
With these single digit and below zero temps, it's black locust, black locust, and more black locust!

12 degrees and the 30-NC at 700 stove top with 22 Liberty Bricks. @stoveguy2esw promised me in 2006 that "It won't split down the middle." It didn't in the 1,025 degree runaway a few years ago so this is a walk in the park.

upload_2017-12-28_23-46-31.png