What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
201b292b8deb840dea4c1bdacfdfdefa.jpg

Shagbark Hickory for the overnight burn...upstairs heat pump set to trigger if the temp drops below 70 up there, which it will, but it's all about balance! If the power was out, we'd be happy with 65 in the bedrooms.

White oak and two ash splits. Miffed cause one of the ash splits, which are big, is still sizzling after 15 min of burning and the temp wont rise so cant close it down. Dont know what causes a two year css ash split to hold water, but i hate it.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Right now, Ashes:).......from last nights load of Maple, and a couple of splits of Cherry.

Right now, Ashes:)

Ditto. Woke up to a healthy coal pile. Pulled it forward and turned up the air. Been reducing that for a hour and a half. 72F in the house. Mostly soft Maple and (gulp) Cottonwood I am trying to utilize! Haaaa.
May have to dig out some denser stuff soon. Way below zero overnights in the next few days. New Years Eve may be hanging out in my warm house! To cold elsewhere....

Looking good @BrotherBart . I never liked the bricks I tried, think they were Envi. They sort of expanded then fell apart and never burned actively or well. They were all that was around and I never did try a full load, just 1-3 at a time so maybe would be better that way. And yes they are dusty.

Wish I could get a chance to try NIEL's logs as I've heard those are pressed hard and burn well.

oak and black locust, first time burning BL and the difference is huge, I now believe how people say it burns like coal.

I now believe how people say it burns like coal
Yep. Havent had any in a long time, but i have two cords waiting to be split. How long did u dry em and how big did u u split?

Yep. Havent had any in a long time, but i have two cords waiting to be split. How long did u dry em and how big did u u split?
Mine are around 4-5" x 18" long, they have been drying out for 3 years

Hedge on the bottom, red/white oak, then hickory. CAT is well into the cruise mode @ 1200°. It's my go to recipe when it gets cold. Temp is 17°, on the way down to 6°, north wind @ 12 MPH. Grand daughter is barefoot in Mimi's chair watching "Sara and Duck", bird dog at my feet, glass of merlot in hand. Doesn't get any better than this.

We had -20 this morning so I put some Beech and Oak (White & Red) in the Liberty.

20171231_084526.jpg
A gnarly chunk of White Oak and a couple splits of BL. Moved reinforcements up to the on-deck circle yesterday. Old Man Winter, "make my day!" ::-)
Red Oak to the left, White Oak and BL under the window and a bit of starter Black Cherry next to the porch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderMedic
Mine are around 4-5" x 18" long, they have been drying out for 3 years
Thats good stuff right there! Thats how long mine has been seasoning out...wait till you try some hedge...;)

View attachment 219290
A gnarly chunk of White Oak and a couple splits of BL. Moved reinforcements up to the on-deck circle yesterday. Old Man Winter, "make my day!" ::-)
Red Oak to the left, White Oak and BL under the window and a bit of starter Black Cherry next to the porch.
Like the stacks, and the house os nice too... ;) ;) ;)

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

We're heading down to -30 tonight (regular temp) so we loaded the Liberty up with Beech and some Sugar Maple.

Two accidental splits of pine and white oak. Currently 18 with a wind chill of 4 and supposed to drop another 10 degrees. Not supposed to get very warm the next few days...going to be burning a lot more oak.
29f3cf14ac5a7aa6a7e3ec7a80e23421.jpg

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Starting the new year at about -8. Toasty 69 in tbe house with black cherry and white ash in the firebox

IMG_3093.PNG Very cold start to the New Year here in Indiana...when I checked my various temp gadgets this am I had to do a double take! Then I looked at the inside temp.....the Princess has held 77-80 all night! Running White Oak and Black Locust mix...I have to add that we had approx 4 inches of snow fall a couple days ago...I decided to shovel snow up against the foundation 2 feet deep around the entire perimeter of the house to slow down the bitter wind that has been blowing...although I have made every effort to ensure the foundation is sealed I can feel a big difference by this additional effort!

Below zero tonight. Red oak

Reactions: saewoody