What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The temps here have been all over the place. Day time temps in the 60’s most of the week and lows in the 40’s. Last night was 33 and it appears that the seasonal temps are coming. I have kept the stove burning over the past three weeks-just adding a few chunks here and there on the warmer days. Burning hickory, ash & maple.

Oak and Black locust low and slow in the BK Princess..24 hour burns... lows in the upper 20 to low 30s at night..going to warm up in a few days so the propane will take the chill off..

Oak and Black locust
Big guns are out already! Today i switched from basswood/hemlock combo to hard maple. Not a nice day today and the merc. dropping tonight to unseasonable low. A nice warmup apparently by Thur.

I have some very dry 42 year old mahogany interior door frames that I took out yest and today and cut up in the miter saw. I rea should just put a few pieces in with some cord wood since it lights almost instantly. But I don’t know, I have soo much kindling including bins upon bins of dry cedar scrap from when I worked at a cedar Wood shop.

Big guns are out already! Today i switched from basswood/hemlock combo to hard maple. Not a nice day today and the merc. dropping tonight to unseasonable low. A nice warmup apparently by Thur.
Big guns are all I have currently....I have been blessed the last couple years with plenty of Oak and I stumbled across $160 a cord locust in which I prefer so I am going to snag as much of it as I can as it is hard to get close to me.. I will mix it with the oak to stretch it out...lol

They have us with a low temp between 13 & 15 in the morning, tonight we'll let the wood stove burn down and we'll run the pellet stove for the constant heat. In the morning we'll get the wood stove going again.

Low of 25 tonight. Maple, red oak, two splits of cherry, and one 5" round of red cedar - was laying in my stack like it couldn't wait anymore...
Tomorrow it'll be maple, sassafras, and a split of oak.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Had rain all day today temps weren’t terrible but no solar gain obviously so lit the stove up this afternoon. Still burning down some coals then will load up some more pine to tonight’s fire.

Low of 25 tonight. Maple, red oak, two splits of cherry, and one 5" round of red cedar - was laying in my stack like it couldn't wait anymore...
Tomorrow it'll be maple, sassafras, and a split of oak.

Way to plan ahead!

Just for the record, I have a solid pine burning regiment in place along with my hardwoods, and since the inception of this thread (5 1/2 years, 114 pages, & 2800+ replies later) I have not mutated or had a chimney fire.

This past Wednesday and Wednesday night was a good test of everything, breezy here with a high temp of 34 deg f, then that night we dropped to 19, threw a load of red oak uglies in the stove, life was great went to bed with the inside temp of 73 upstairs, woke up Thursday morning and it was 71 upstairs, perfectly fine tuned burning.