What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We were in the low 20's this morning, I loaded up the Liberty with the last splits of Cherry we had inside. We should be burning Yellow Birch, Ash, Sugar / Red Maple and Ironwood for the rest of January.

For February we have two face cord of Beech & Sugar Maple left from last year and then if we need more we will still have more of the above and Cherry.

It was 18 F this morning, so I put in some of the wood I'd been saving for colder weather as I don't have enough to burn all the time (yet...). Put in half a load of old small oak splits (3-4" rounds split in half) last night at 9. Kept the house comfortable. Set the BK to high this morning as I'll be letting it go out, using the minisplit and some oil tonight (only 30 F tonight). After that, the next few days will be more burning as it'll be cold at nights again, and near freezing during some days.

Coals... lots and lots of coals. Been burning them down since 6:30. Sunny and in the 30's so burning them down to clean it out... Might flip the baffles so the bow is in the opposite direction.

Another load of pine down

ECF2B39F-BC4A-4798-806B-0A58B058CEDC.jpeg

In the low 30s right now, supposed to have a snow storm starting this afternoon, a few inches maybe. This winter has been highly unusual for temps and very disappointing for snow/moisture. Threw some pine “shorties” in for today, and brought in a decent mahogany and juniper round for the back side of the storm when the temps drop.

Temps were in the 30' and very sunny yesterday so we let the stoves die out. Colder temps returned today so ash and maple now. Supposed to have temps in the teens and 20's this weekend so I'll be burning some 4 year old locust this weekend.

Quick little load to hold me over until the overnight load. Threw in some maple and red oak shorties N/S in my little 1.85 cu ft Osburn for fun to pretend like I'm a grown up with a big boy stove ;lol. You N/S folks sure have it easy when it comes to tetris-ing wood in! Easy mode!

Overnight load will be Ash/Cherry E/W as usual.

20210122_192326.jpg

A bit of sassafras and a small oak (misser from hand splitting) at 5 pm to heat up the stove and the basement. Will be a load of too short maple splits for overnight going in later this evening.

I'm planning to have the stove going until next Friday as I made the (arbitrary) choice to not run the minisplit when it's 35 or below during the day (because I hear it gurgling, een defrosting, which gives me the nervous willies because I imagine all the heat going outside...). Forecast has a few days of 37, but I suspect that will only be an hr or two above 35.

So longest run so far in the planning. After that I have to reassess how much wood I have left... But I did find a 10x2 face of cherry scrounge (in between oak...) that I got from a neighbor who moved out and had this in his shed for a few years. It's dry
So that is a few loads more for this winter.

Also a load or two of red cedar. This was CSS this summer, but measuring its MC (at 72 F for 32 hrs) gave me <18%. I was surprised, but the size of the splits likely helped at <3-4".

Scrounging my own scrounges for usable wood .

Quick little load to hold me over until the overnight load. Threw in some maple and red oak shorties N/S in my little 1.85 cu ft Osburn for fun to pretend like I'm a grown up with a big boy stove ;lol. You N/S folks sure have it easy when it comes to tetris-ing wood in! Easy mode!

The Tundra was the first N/S loader I used, and after running that for a while, loading the insert just seemed like work.

Getting down close to zero tonight, will load Tundra up with ash, oak and elm. Insert will get stuffed with elm.

Got up late this morning to the sound of an electric heater crinkling in my sons room....:mad:. First time this year. Wifey just stirred the coals up this morning before leaving for work instead of throwing a couple of small splits in to help burn the coals down and give a quick blast of heat. Another load of ash, beech & sugar maple tonight; supposed to get down to 3F. Need to get up earlier tomorrow or get a better assistant. ;)

So, loaded the maple shorties last night at 9 pm or so. Raked the remaining coals (amounting to about a 8*4*4 " glowing chunk in total) to the front and out about half a firebox of small sassafras splits (2-3") in there that will tide me over until the reload of oak tonight. I wonder how fast this wood will go.

Burning higher now as it's only 32 max today and will be 18 tonight.

Never heard of water oak...how does it burn?
Water Oak is in the Red Oak family and has small leaves. Primarily a southern oak ranging from Maryland to Texas and very common in NC. I have plenty available and it burns really well, though not as good as White Oak, IMO.