What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Colder here again; 23 F tonight. Lit up the stove late afternoon with some cut-off cookies, and filled it for overnight with oak just now.

I really do think it's the last burn this season (tomorrow and tomorrow night to go).

16157788456022612915108620713642.jpg

5740’ at the house
I know Nevada has a range of elevations, and from your temperature reports I figured you were on the higher side, the high desert. I've only been to Las Vegas and passing through to Death Valley. I love the southwest. Hopefully I'll get to explore Nevada more, we're going to Utah later this year, hopefully a little more westward as well.

It's been in the low 50's here, low of 43 tonight. Thankfully my wife loves the stove and keeping it warm in here. Tonight we have a pleasant serving of oak, followed by oak.

I know Nevada has a range of elevations, and from your temperature reports I figured you were on the higher side, the high desert. I've only been to Las Vegas and passing through to Death Valley. I love the southwest. Hopefully I'll get to explore Nevada more, we're going to Utah later this year, hopefully a little more westward as well.

It's been in the low 50's here, low of 43 tonight. Thankfully my wife loves the stove and keeping it warm in here. Tonight we have a pleasant serving of oak, followed by oak.

Yeah a lot of folks hear Nevada and think Vegas or Reno; but that’s not all of it, plenty to offer in the smaller communities as well, and lots of unknown tidbits, for example my home county is 4th largest county in US for sq mileage. Lots of hidden jems here, ruby mountains jarbidge wilderness etc. I get off work in morning I’ll send ya a picture of my front door view.

Yeah a lot of folks hear Nevada and think Vegas or Reno; but that’s not all of it, plenty to offer in the smaller communities as well, and lots of unknown tidbits, for example my home county is 4th largest county in US for sq mileage. Lots of hidden jems here, ruby mountains jarbidge wilderness etc. I get off work in morning I’ll send ya a picture of my front door view.
It's good to know about the hidden gems, I know there's a lot of beautiful areas to see there. Would love to see the view out your front door!

Here's our fire from last night. It's very interesting to watch the flames in SLO-MO. It was all oak.

Attachments

• slo-mo fire.MOV
    18.3 MB
It's been warm here lately. Since Thursday we have received 4.4 inches of rain and though today was clear and sunny, we are expecting strong storms tomorrow night into wednesday again....possibly severe. It does look like a cool down is coming with lows back down in the 30s to end the week and I'll be lighting up the stove again.

Today I had a pair of cherry knotty pieces and oak cookies that had dried sufficiently.
I just filled up with my last old oak.

Some maple left for if March throws another fit...

It's been warm here lately. Since Thursday we have received 4.4 inches of rain and though today was clear and sunny, we are expecting strong storms tomorrow night into wednesday again....possibly severe. It does look like a cool down is coming with lows back down in the 30s to end the week and I'll be lighting up the stove again.
It's that time of year, I think you're getting most of the rain that was forecast for us. We live 1/2 mile down a gravel, so keeping the truck and car clean is next to impossible, whenever it rains I park them outside of the garage and take what cleaning I can get from mother nature. Yesterday it started raining, my wife said it sounds like it's raining, I said it sounds like ours cars are being cleaned. About 10 minutes later it started thundering, about 5 minutes after that, it started hailing. Yikes! Now it became an emergency to get the vehicles inside the garage, as we both rush outside to do so. Fortunately the hail was only about 1/2", and of course it ended as soon as we got back to the porch. LOL Spring is here!

It's that time of year, I think you're getting most of the rain that was forecast for us. We live 1/2 mile down a gravel, so keeping the truck and car clean is next to impossible, whenever it rains I park them outside of the garage and take what cleaning I can get from mother nature. Yesterday it started raining, my wife said it sounds like it's raining, I said it sounds like ours cars are being cleaned. About 10 minutes later it started thundering, about 5 minutes after that, it started hailing. Yikes! Now it became an emergency to get the vehicles inside the garage, as we both rush outside to do so. Fortunately the hail was only about 1/2", and of course it ended as soon as we got back to the porch. LOL Spring is here!

I hear ya on mother nature's free wash service. I live down 4 miles of gravel myself but as I have learned it doesn't really matter how much gravel you drive on, be it a quarter mile or ten, your rig is gunna get filthy lol. We had some tiny pea size hail here about two weeks or so ago. Nothing to worry about causing damage but let me tell ya....when that comes down on a metal roof you know it. Sounds terrible lol. It ended fast as well. Just a big pile left by the downspouts of the gutters. Glad y'all didn't have any damage up there.

Last edited:
It's 45 out with very heavy rain right now and a low of 35 expected tonight. I have a load of post and white oak with a hickory split that I am fixing to light here in just a bit for the overnight. We hit 65 today before these t-storms rolled in....we had a few tornado warnings in the area and there is still one current two counties south now. Come tomorrow morning the weather man says it will be snowing...then back to rain with 20-40 mph winds for the rest of the day lol. Wild weather.