What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wife casually said "it's chilly in here today" with her "where is my fire" eyes lol. It was 52 degrees out so I held strong and we let the heat pump work. We keep it on 65 this time of year and just rock sweatshirts . Much cooler than the 70-72 during burning season but manageable...I just hate burning when I don't need to it feels wasteful and the chimney sucks (well, doesn't suck lol) when its so nice out.

Bottom line: pray for me. ;lol
I hear ya... trying to get by with the heat pump here too but living in a cottage on a slab makes it hard to get to 70 which makes for an unhappy wife. the woodbox etc all put away in the shed but eventually i ran out & grabbed a coupla armloads of beech n some kindling. wife is happy and i'm working up a sweat watching tv. happy wife happy life? ehhh not so sure.

I'm officially shutdown for the season, for the 2nd time! It's official this time!

We are still having a few fires here and there just burning up what is left in the garage during the cold nights. We will see 30's tonight so I'll fire both stoves up with some cedar and ash splits to keep the house warm.

Reactions: MoDoug
Norway maple. I always tell myself to scrounge more of the lighter maples like norway or silver for the shoulder season. In my opinion they are perfect for this time of year.

Reactions: MoDoug and Riff
Boxelder, other soft maple (a little punky), and one small split of ironwood.... I know different species are called ironwood depending on where you are located. This is hop hornbeam.

The stove has been down for about a week as it has been warm... But the house is getting chilly again and the next few days we are supposed to be in the 30s at night.

Reactions: MoDoug and Riff
The wife was cold and it might be around 32 tonight so I fired the stove up again! Just some odd shaped pieces of oak and ash. It's nice seeing the fire again I missed it these past several weeks.

20210507_195645_HDR.jpg

We have had temps in the 40's and mid 30's at night I have been splitting up what is left in the garage. Locust splits and some cedar splits have been feeding the stoves the last couple of nights. Last Sunday we had temps in the 80's. I'm hoping spring comes back soon.

Reactions: JimBear and MoDoug
I had a Starling in my stove this morning, last year it was a Bluebird over Memorial Day weekend.
Year before last I pulled out 3 starlings and a sparrow before the start of the season...my bird screen had blown off over the summer...lol

Air.

It's been over a week since the last fire, and looking at the forecast for the upcoming week says that the burning season is over. I swept the chimney this morning, installed the bird screen in the cap, and vacuumed out the stove and ash pan. The garden beckons.

Reactions: Tar12
AF4537CE-22CE-43E1-BB76-1B7E132E9A37.jpeg
Haven’t had a fire in a few weeks now, temps nearing 80s. Not anymore! Another cold snap moving through calling for rain and snow, highs 40s and lows in the 20-30s for next several days. Some pine to keep us toasty for a few days.

I am done regardless now...80s-90s this week...AC is running now...wife was pissed that I had it down to 71 in the house....lol...she has to make her usual summer adjustment...lol

It's 45 and raining right now...on Memorial day weekend. Debating lighting the stove even though I did my end of year clean out. Wtf if this weather! :mad:

It's 45 and raining right now...on Memorial day weekend. Debating lighting the stove even though I did my end of year clean out. Wtf if this weather! :mad:

Same here. Debated already early this morning... but I didn't light a fire (or used the minisplit even after using it already to cool one day..) Gotta brave the elements

Woodshed did well in the rain though

light it up that’s what it’s for. Get a package of hot dogs and call it Memorial Day cook in! i think a nice coating of ash keeps me from seeing the rust In the middle of summer.
Evan

Surviving for now. Just gonna let the heat pump kick on early am if it needs to. I've had too many delicious beers to go get wood in the pouring rain ;). Legs are broken!

Screenshot_20210529-190845_ecobee.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
I lit the gas fireplace this morning.. Love the cool weather and rain. Its literally forcing me to relax for once and not work or do projects What a great weekend.. Im going fishing Monday morning.. tomorrow.. were going to waffle house..

I cleaned both stoves and chimneys last weekend so I'm done with burning for the year and sure enough this past week was cold and rainy. Nothing better than a drop from 85 to 45 in a few days. We just turned on the furnace. I'm ready to enjoy the summer and wait till Oct. to start burning again.

Reactions: MMH and Tar12
I have some sugar maple going in the old Quaker tonight. It will get down to 45 tonight and I have had the windows open airing out the place.