What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After one block of ash around 2 pm, a full reload of ash now.

39 f out now, a low of 30 forecast. Tomorrow 48. I'll be traveling for a week and it's warm enough for the mini split (mid 40s during the day, lower 30s at night), so that's what my wife will use.

See you the week after this coming week.

Woke up to fire out. Had a small wood-big-air "push" fire this morning but then the sun came out so we let the fire go out, Got er restatred with some oak and ash, now feeling toasty in the house. Good night friends.

Our low temps in the morning have been between 16 to 22, we have a fire in the morning with ash firewood, a few uglies in the afternoon and a bag of pellets at night. Our high temps lately have been between 23 to 31 lately.

Reactions: stoveliker
We had 18.2 this morning with the sleeper at 68 and out here at 70. The pellet stove was shutoff and the wood stove has some beech with ash going in it.

Fire last night mostly oak and using up the red stones. Went to bed at 11 did not reload, got up at 3am and had good amount of coals. Did not reload since house was 75 downstairs and 73 upstairs. 40’s this morning so heat pump it is.

First fire of the season. 40 degrees. Will be the last for a while as it'll heat up again for the next couple of weeks.
Some hardwood and cedar. Small hot fire to take the chill off the women folk.

20230310_080407.jpg

Back to heat pump high 40’ here. Actually heat pump not calling since house stayed 68. Evening fire tonight mix of maple, cherry, ash and red stones. Lots of cold starts with these mild temps.

We had 21.4 this morning, the temps up here were between 70 & 73. The pellet stove was shutoff and the wood stove received a load of ash.

We had a low of 11.7 this morning, the temps up here were between 69 & 71.

The pellet stove was shut off and the wood stove received a load of ash.

After a week in Las Vegas (for work - first time, but also last time; I dislike the place), I restarted the stove.
Loaded with ash for the overnight.

68 F upstairs, 75 f at 3 ft and 80 at the ceiling of the basement.
40 outside and a low forecast of 29.

It's 70 up here tonight with the pellet stove will be supplying the heat tonight. NOAA has us having a low of 14 in the morning.

Set my clocks ahead before supper today. Go to bed 1hr earlier, that way I don't lose an hour of sleep, ha! It's all relative.

Tomorrow's looking a lot like today - high 40F low 20F. 2 gargantuan hunks of ash on top of big oak coals should do for the night.

After a week in Las Vegas (for work - first time, but also last time; I dislike the place), I restarted the stove.
Loaded with ash for the overnight.

68 F upstairs, 75 f at 3 ft and 80 at the ceiling of the basement.
40 outside and a low forecast of 29.
I was also not impressed by Vegas the one time I was there...

Loaded up with ash, birch and maple. Love having the damper installed.

We had 11.8 this morning, the temps up here were between 67 & 69. The wood stove received five splits of beech this morning.

Last night's gargantuan ash must have need more aging. Woke up to a smouldering chunk in the fire box and the house at 65F. Creosote covered firebox, yuck. Have kept a ripping fire all day to warm up to 75F and deal with the 20F and constant wind.
Tonight is holding at the daytime temp of 35, so that will save on wood. Will go with a few smaller ash splits, walnut, and some oak blocking. Because that is what is on top of the pile.

Last edited:
It's 30 out tonight with the temps up here 69 & 70 and the basement temp started out at 74. The wood stove has four splits of beech on the bottom row with three splits of ash on the top row.

We had an outside temp of 30.4 this morning, the basement temp started out at 72 with the temps up here at 68.

The wood stove received five splits of ash and one split of beech this morning.

Yesterday's 9 pm reload with Ash is still providing the heat. 71 F up here (the wife has a day off and was cold..), and 41 outside. The high for the day is forecast to be 44, after which it'll drop to a low of 38 overnight. Cloudy, rainy, and tomorrow rain, snow, sleet, and what have you. Wednesday it'll be gusts up to 70 mph here from that system that'll deliver snow farther north of us.

Reactions: thewoodlands
At 3 pm I added two small ash splits and a tiny oak split. That's done now and I reloaded with a 75 pct load of ash. Not of ideal length, so not a full box.

40 F outside and raining. The forecast low is 38. Tomorrow 40 and a mix of rain and snow, and starting to get windy. Inside it's 71.

At the moment we have an outside temp of 32.2, the basement temp is starting out at 72 with the temps up here at 70.

The Liberty has eight splits of ash going in it tonight.

Back in the Northwoods. 16-20" on the ground depending on where I checked, so that was a pain. At least the snowblower was able to handle it. I'll finish up tomorrow with the snowblower and then the little skid loader to move some piles.

Currently 16, going down to -1. About to load up with 1 beech & 1 white ash leftover from what I brought from home last year and the rest will be cherry and black ash from up here. Bumping the thermostat up on the furnace every time the temperature goes up a degree from the fire.