What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
19 here in PA this morning. Been burning wood with the milder temp, but threw in 5 spoonfuls of coal this morning. 170* water temp, 70* in the house.

Been so warm here for days high 40’s 50’s so no stove. Really don’t use it unless under 40. Temps 29 this morning so mix of red oak, maple, a few oak chunks and a redstone. STT 600 and cruising house temp was 64 when I got up since no fire last night. 70 now and climbing.

Had 13F overnight. Big cherry rounds have the house up to 72. First real heating day in some time.

We had 18.1 this morning after our first cup of coffee but the temp kept dropping, the temp finally bottomed out at 15.6. The sleeper temp was 69 this morning , up here was 70 and the basement 75.

I shut the pellet stove off and started a fire in the wood stove with three splits of beech and four ash splits. I made some spaghetti sauce for supper tonight so the temp up here is 73.

We were having some pretty good wind gust this morning with whiteouts, that all started just after 4 p.m. on Saturday and lasted throughout the night and this morning. I'm thinking the wind with the whiteouts cleared this area.

Wild temp swings here..just recently over night lows in the mid 20s been running 24 hour reloads of straight locust...thats been working out really well..I ran past the 24 hour mark this weekend while i was away seeing my grandsons...I returned home 27 hours later to a stove room at 71 degrees and plenty of coals to fire right back up..this only happens with the locust...24 hours and less with oak and way less with ash..

Very windy here today with a max of 38. Sunny, but not pleasant. Worked on an expansion of our garden for this year.

Now a 60 percent full reload with oak shorties. The low will be 28, and tomorrow will be 49. Likely the last fire, if the long term forecast does not change.

29 this AM. Two medium splits of oak and maple. Two smaller oak splits on top with a maple chunk shorty. Redstone on top. Should heat up the house nice. Will reload later in the AM then let it die out. Probably last fire for awhile temps high 40’s 50 today.

Kinda the same here… 1st day of spring but not feeling it.
38 outside now but still a cold windy wind.
I’m loving the warmth this stove puts out… stuffed with odd shaped pieces of oak…
Take a look:

We had 25.1 this morning for an outside temp with plenty of wind, the sleeper was 67, up here was 68 & 69 with the basement temp at 74.

I shut the pellet stove off and the wood stove received five splits, three beech and two ash.

I'm not even sure what the outside temp was last night but the sleeper was 69 and the temp in the living room was 70. We used the pellet stove on a low setting overnight and the temp in the sleeper was 70 with the living room temp at 71 this morning.

I shut the pellet stove off and we had a fire in the wood stove with three ash splits along with four pine splits.

Reactions: NickW
Been walking the fine line with the fire's here in the Northwoods. Rocking the chimney and fireplace surround so I don't want it too warm, but trying to keep the furnace from kicking in. Been turning the thermostat down during the day and having mid size mixed hardwood/softwood fires to keep it going and producing some heat and have coals for the evening but not too much heat. Outside temps have been around 30 during the day, mid to low teens at night. Overnight load is usually a mix of cherry and ash.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 34.3 tonight, the basement is starting out at 72 with the temps up here 69 and 70. The wood stove has three splits of ash and five splits of pine in it for the overnight fire.

Reactions: VintageGal
48f this morning. My stove has 1/2 the same load that was in it yesterday.

Well it was great to be back using the stove today since we had warm temps here all last week. Mid 30’s this morning with a high of 43 today with rain and sleet. 4 loads since 8am. House 77 now. Today was a mix of split end chunks, of cherry and oak, oak and cherry splits, and two red stones that I’m using up.

It's been 40F and raining here all day. Back to burning for the time being anyway. Half load of ash in the BK to carry us until tomorrow mid morning. If the sun comes out tomorrow I might let it go out. We shall see.

It has been a wet damp couple of days with rain, snow and wind with more snow with winds this morning.

I used the pellet stove overnight, the temps up here this morning were 71 & 72. I shut the p.s. off and started a fire in the wood stove with some beech and ash.

It looks like the cold will be hanging on this week especially at night.

It's 31.6 out tonight with the temps in here 69 & 70. The wood stove has two splits of beech, five ash and two pine splits in it for the overnight load.

Reactions: NickW
30ish outside going down to 25, upstairs is 73 from solar gains and cooking, stove room is down to 66. 2 ash and 1 each maple, birch and mulberry.

Not certain. I loaded 90lbs about 9 pm Sunday and set on ultra low cruise control. Still active and glowing. Almost time to let it go out until Fall.

Been using the heat pump all day about 40’s dropping tonight to a low of 29. Just had hail here! Got the stove ready with a nice long piece of cherry and a medium split of oak. Smaller splits of ash, oak on top. When thing get going with add a red stone. Last pack of 6 so want to use them up. Also adding chunks of ends tonight that I cut from splits that were too long. Mix of cherry and oak.

Got a little holly going. Just to take the chill off tonight. Surprisingly it dries super fast and burns great. I use it in the shoulder seasons as I have a good supply of it.

A42F3CC6-E2F0-49AE-8EBE-59F856218047.jpeg

Just got the stove going for the evening, it has a load of pine.

We had a winter storm almost 3 years ago snap a bunch of 6+" branches off the pine trees so I cut it up for pit wood. Darn if that stuff hasn't made me a fan of burning pine during shoulder season.
I don’t mind pine at all.

Reactions: BKVP