What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I concur. I have about a cord of pine left after having burned about a cord and a half ; I got them from my friend, but he got a stove himself, so that source has dried up :p

Pine is great, for burning down (oak) coals, for quick hot fires, and just for drying quickly. I made a little (about 3/4 cord) shed on my driveway right next to my garage. I plan to have it filled with 1-year drying wood, as an emergency in case my normal shed-bay for that year is not enough in a cold winter. Then I'd fill it again with some soft wood so it's good for next year in case of a cold winter.
I have half of that shed now filled with fir. I'm waiting for a wood delivery, and I'll likely also get some maple that I'll split small. On my asphalt driveway I think it'll also be good in a year.

But pine, last year I got (pitch-)pine down to 13-14% in one summer of drying. For 5-6" splits. I did not check the smaller splits. It's great.

Let the stove go out this morning…thought it was supposed to warm up more than it did today but it stayed overcast and didn’t get out of the 40’s. Came home to the house at 65 and a cold wife….loaded up with ash and cherry and had a warm house and happier wife in no time. The dog is happier now too.

C654D721-D668-4662-AADE-C5B50EFAA606.jpeg

Going down to 24 tonight. Still had some coals from the morning fire. Loaded with 4 ash, 1 maple & 1 small mulberry.

Reactions: thewoodlands
The last three mornings we've had temps just over 15 and this morning was 16.3, we used the pellet stove for heat overnight with the basement temp at 75 and the temp up here 70.

I shut the p.s. off and the Liberty saw a load of not so great pine.

Dropping to 26 tonight. Got the stove ready with two medium chunks n/s oak sleepers. Two medium splits (oak and maple) e/w. Two small splits of oak and maple across the top. Kindling and two pinecones on top to get it going. Load should get STT to around 600. Still to warm to fire it up now 47 outside temp 68 inside and have not needed the heat.

Nice looking fire!

Tonight for the first time in a while, it'll be cold enough for the stove. 32 for the low. It was 44 today, tomorrow it'll be 50.

Probably the last fire this season.

So I'm warming up the stove and flue with some scrap lumber, and then will run a firebox full of pitch pine. I'll run it high all the way, so I can brush out the crisped up creosote from the firebox tomorrow. Keeps the stove better.over the summer.

Reactions: Wildflush
After many weeks of late March sun and warm weather, got a bit of a chilly early April weather this week. So had to rummage a bit for what was dry.

Currently burning a combination of:

Walnut
Almond
Elderberry
Ash

I recently cut down some Cherry and Magnolia, but I am eyeing that wood more for wood work than for burning..... :cool:

Reactions: NickW
Hitting mid 60's today, so I'll let it go cold. Still be having overnight burns yet and the occasional daytime. Few more 20's & 30's overnight coming and not letting the electric baseboard's kick in. Even 40's overnight might need a small overnight fire.

We've been having a pine fire in the morning and then some ash and pine at night. The morning temps have been in the high 20's to mid 30's, hopefully the warmer temps we'll be getting will stay with us.

We're in for 1 to 1.5 inches of rain with some warmer temps (50 to 60) so that should take care of most of the ice on the trails.

Stove quiet for many days now. Just using the heat pump at times.

After spoiling’ myself daily with a cozy toasty home winter long, I sit here thinking I gotta start a fire.
Thermometer says 52° but I ain’t feeling it inside here.
Windier than Chi town could ever imagine.

So I did fire up some hickory and oak to satisfy my heat fetish.

Hopefully won’t hafta bring no more wood inside.

EB1A227A-7DEA-46AC-84CE-9511013A23AF.jpeg

Last edited:
41 out and wife got cold so wanted a wood fire and no heat pump tonight so here we are with 600 STT two n/ s sleepers, large oak and maple splits. Two smaller pieces across the top.

41 out and wife got cold so wanted a wood fire and no heat pump tonight so here we are with 600 STT two n/ s sleepers, large oak and maple splits. Two smaller pieces across the top.
We were in the mid 30's today with heavy rains with thunder & lightning, the basement had cooled off to 66 so I had another pine fire after supper.

It was 51 when the boss made the coffee and 54 after my second cup. I made a pine fire this morning after coffee, the temp up here went from 66 to 70.

24 this morning at 5:30. Upstairs at 66, stove room downstairs at 70; so I put 2 pieces of ash and 3 of crap wood in the stove. Cruising at 606 flue and a little over 500 stt. Mid 40's for a high today and sunny.

34° with a high 'bout 45....
oak hickory and maple burning to keep the furnace from running...
got a little over a cord left.
next few days temps are s'posta rise to the 70's
i'll believe it when i feel it.

enjoy your weekend ☕️

Just cold ashes. Seems like this heating season is winding down. Another success as far as I’m concerned. I burned since mid October until last week, average house temp 70 degrees. Somewhat mild winter which was ok, 24hr burns were very common instead of 12hr burns in the teen temperature range. I’d guess about 4 cord through the stove.

L❤️VE opening doors/windows with the stove burning hickory or oak or maple and getting fresh air, perhaps a whiff of that wonderful wood burning scent… all while keeping the home comfortable.
45° outside and shorts/tshirt and barefoot watching the (rain delayed) Masters ⛳️ with Miles providing commentary…

You need a humidifier...

Filled the firebox with hemlock tonight. Done with hardwoods for the year. I believe tomorrow night will be our last fire until fall.

We still have pine, ash and beech inside, the beech will be going back outside and we'll burn it next year.

We've been having morning lows between 22 & 25 with the high today hitting 60, we'll burn the pine and maybe the ash at night if needed.

The basement was at 64 tonight and the wife wanted a fire so we have a pine fire going, it's 68 up here.

Cold starting for the last time this the season. Will use the last bit of hemlock in the indoor woodrack tomorrow morning. It might be a bit warm but I fundamentally disagree with taking wood back outside. :cool:

Reactions: VintageGal