What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dinner tonight Maryland crabs in coconut milk.(asian style) If you haven't tried this, its heaven on a plate. You can google the recipe online. My wife adds spinach and ginger. With your favorite cold beer,this is one of my all time favorite meals. The spinach and ginger are the perfect partners for the crab and coconut milk. Bon appetit!

Reactions: tarzan
that Maryland crabs in coconut milk sounds great. love crab.
this thread is great because it makes me spend time looking for some of the brews that everyone tries and likes or dislikes. i tried this and it was not to my taste. way to heavy. and for the amount of grain should have had more hops. but i am in no way a IPA guy, wouldn't buy this again but is a buzz maker for sure

Attachments

• troegenator.jpg
    troegenator.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 356
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
i tried this and it was not to my taste. way to heavy. and for the amount of grain should have had more hops. but i am in no way a IPA guy, wouldn't buy this again but is a buzz maker for sure
I like em heavy! Troegs Double Bock is in my top 5 most often selected beer of the day. There so many different selections available these days its a great time to have a craft beer tasting hobby.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
i try to get something different everytime i go to what we new englanders call the packy. something i know and in the mood for and a 6 of something different

This week taste test ,another winner from Founders. Sumatra Mountain. Imperial Brown ale. 9% ABV.
So far iv never had a bad brew from these folks.
20180608_222955.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Dinner tonight Maryland crabs in coconut milk.(asian style) If you haven't tried this, its heaven on a plate. You can google the recipe online. My wife adds spinach and ginger. With your favorite cold beer,this is one of my all time favorite meals. The spinach and ginger are the perfect partners for the crab and coconut milk. Bon appetit!

Those are great. Lived in Asia for a few years, had them many times. Ever tried Chili Crab? Singapore is famous for it.

Those are great. Lived in Asia for a few years, had them many times. Ever tried Chili Crab? Singapore is famous for it.
I have not! Ill suggest that to the better half. The crabs do have that salt and red pepper seasoning on already so that adds some heat to every dish.

Bought this a few weeks ago, forgot it was in the beer fridge...
P_20180609_160921.jpg
Goes well with the charcouterie and cheese in background...

had this guy at a party this afternoon. i'm not a ipa guy but will try anything. you don't know if you don't try. not the bitter bite but swear there was grapefruit in it and it goes well with pizza

lil_heaven_web.png

I'm not a huge IPA fan. Most of my favorite beers are Pilsners but if the mood hits you for something different and you happen to be in my neighborhood, develope a taste for IPA's!

That being said, I've came up with a 5-50 rule when IPA shopping. Meaning, if I find an IPA at around 5% alcohol and roughly 50 IBU then chances are I'll like it......well, maybe "find it drinkable " would be more fitting.

Last edited:
had this guy at a party this afternoon. i'm not a ipa guy but will try anything. you don't know if you don't try. not the bitter bite but swear there was grapefruit in it and it goes well with pizza

View attachment 227167

I dunno. Making a session beer in the IPA style seems like combining the worst two attributes of beer into one bottle: too much hops and too little alcohol. It’s sort of the Danny deVito character in Twins.

Last edited:
Bought this a few weeks ago, forgot it was in the beer fridge...
View attachment 227166
Goes well with the charcouterie and cheese in background...
That charcouterie is what we call "soupies" here in central PA . Yes, its usually consumed with copious quantities of beer along with hot cheese. Right up there with Hardshells and beer. (Or hot wings)Cheers!

I dunno. Making a session beer in the IPA style seems like combining the worst two attributes of beer into one bottle: too much hops and too little alcohol. It’s sort of the Danny deVito character in Twins.

i drink beer for the taste. alcohol content being not high enough is is cause to step to a different drink and if i'm in the mood for alc. my choice is bourbon. Knob Creek. just took down a nice 3rd of a 750 of their small batch 120 proof. but after cutting the lawn today it was a few shipyard summer ales

This Founders Sumatra Mountain Imperial brown ale is good stuff. ill be looking for this by the case. 9.0 % ABV is just about right in my comfort zone.

Finally got to taste my first Yuenglings lager while back east. I'm not a big lager drinker, but it was a nice flavorful beer as compared to the rice water big brands.

Sipping a cold Yuengling as I type.

Reactions: begreen
Finally got to taste my first Yuenglings lager while back east. I'm not a big lager drinker, but it was a nice flavorful beer as compared to the rice water big brands.
That is the only Mass Marketed National brand beer in my Fridge. No small coincidence it comes from my backyard just up the road in Pa.

Reactions: begreen
Not sold out here, but it would make a nice summer beer if it was.

Thats the only real beer offered in many establishments including my local gun club outside of the usual miller lite,bud lite, coors lite,and everything else lite. The places i normally go usually have at least 15-50 home brewed or craft beer offerings. Those places are catching on though. One of my brewing friends just purchased a popular local bar and grill in order to introduce his creations on a larger scale. He asked me to go in on it as a partner but i want to retire, not get involved in another business. Ill be happily taste testing there soon though.

Thats the only real beer offered in many establishments including my local gun club outside of the usual miller lite,bud lite, coors lite,and everything else lite. The places i normally go usually have at least 15-50 home brewed or craft beer offerings. Those places are catching on though. One of my brewing friends just purchased a popular local bar and grill in order to introduce his creations on a larger scale. He asked me to go in on it as a partner but i want to retire, not get involved in another business. Ill be happily taste testing there soon though.

Yuengling has become my savior in beer serving establishments in the sticks. Didn't used to like it, but I've grown fond of it over the past two years, and almost every place in my general area offers a Yuengling tap alongside their Bud/Miller/Coors offering.

As to the subject of the thread, I just returned from Ireland. I didn't have a bad beer, and I even got served an IPA by mistake by a bartender. It was Irish brewed, and not quite the hop bomb that I get here. Observations:

The Guiness Stout is a wee bit stouter. That smokey note that you get, in Ireland there's more. I purchased Foreign Extra Stout in bottles over there, and it tastes the same as what's on draft at every pub in the country.
The Smithwicks (pronounced Smiddicks) and Murphy's stout tastes the same.
I tried several Irish micros, and never stumbled upon a hop bomb like I'm liable to in the states.
I've found that O'haras distributes in the states, and I think I want to order a case of their Irish Red
I like their 500ml bottles better than our 12oz ones.

Yuengling has become my savior in beer serving establishments in the sticks. Didn't used to like it, but I've grown fond of it over the past two years, and almost every place in my general area offers a Yuengling tap alongside their Bud/Miller/Coors offering.

I had my first Yuengling at about 20 Yrs old. I remember vividly i thought it was so bad i threw 5.9 cans of a 6 pack away. Fast forward ,im not sure if it was the beer that matured or if it was I. Always have some on hand. Even the wife likes it.

I was lucky to have it as a draft beer at the airport. My wife had a Sam Adams seasonal citrus ale, but she liked the Yuengling too.

I had my first Yuengling at about 20 Yrs old. I remember vividly i thought it was so bad i threw 5.9 cans of a 6 pack away. Fast forward ,im not sure if it was the beer that matured or if it was I. Always have some on hand. Even the wife likes it.

I'm quite sure that my tastes have changed. Anything that the hops came through even a little bit I didn't like in my early 20's. 10 years later, I still really like very malty beers, but my fall-back for having beer at home is Sam Adams. I have even liked a few IPAs if the brewer is somewhat restrained in their use of hops. I also never liked any amber lager that I tried before I was 25.

Alaskan Amber is common out here. At the Detroit airport where we stopped for dinner that was the best beer they had on tap. ;hm Hoppy ales are pretty common on the left coast. Some get pretty extreme, but like hot sauce, the more you consume, the more you get used to it.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink